Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Word count of values in a column Post 302654985 by neutronscott on Tuesday 12th of June 2012 01:54:27 PM
Old 06-12-2012
Code:
[mute@geek ~/temp/jacobs.smith]$ awk 'NR==1{min=$4}$4<min{min=$4}$4>max{max=$4}{a[int($4/10)]++}END{printf("Range of the column: %f to %f\n",min,max);max=int(max/10);for(i=0;i<=max;i++)printf("Records between [%d, %d): %d\n",i*10,10+i*10,a[i])}' input
Range of the column: 1.111120 to 87.999900
Records between [0, 10): 2
Records between [10, 20): 1
Records between [20, 30): 0
Records between [30, 40): 0
Records between [40, 50): 0
Records between [50, 60): 0
Records between [60, 70): 0
Records between [70, 80): 0
Records between [80, 90): 1

This User Gave Thanks to neutronscott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word count of lines ending with certain word

Hi all, I am trying to write a command that can help me count the number of lines in the /etc/passwd file ending in bash. I have read through other threads but am yet to find one indicating how to locate a specifc word at the end of a line. I know i will need to use the wc command but when i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print unique values of a column and sum up the corresponding values in next column

Hi All, I have a file which is having 3 columns as (string string integer) a b 1 x y 2 p k 5 y y 4 ..... ..... Question: I want get the unique value of column 2 in a sorted way(on column 2) and the sum of the 3rd column of the corresponding rows. e.g the above file should return the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amigarus
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of rows based on other column values

Could anybody help with this? I have input below ..... david,39 david,39 emelie,40 clarissa,22 bob,42 bob,42 tim,32 bob,39 david,38 emelie,47 what i want to do is count how many names there are with different ages, so output would be like this .... david,2 emelie,2 clarissa,1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsme999
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count the lines with the same values in a column and write the output to a file

Hey everyone! I have a tab delimited data set which I want to create an output contained the calculation of number of those lines with a certain value in 2nd and 3rd column. my input file is like this: ID1 1 10M AAATTTCCGG ID2 5 4M ACGT ID3 5 8M ACCTTGGA ID4 5 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of distinct values in each column with awk

Hi ! input: A|B|C|D A|F|C|E A|B|I|C A|T|I|B As the title of the thread says, I would need to get: 1|3|2|4 I tried different variants of this command, but I don't manage to obtain what I need: gawk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="|"}{for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) a++} END {for (b in a) print b}' input ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific column values

Hi all: quick question! I have the following data that resembles some thing like this: i am tired tired am i what is up hello people cool I want to count (or at least isolate) all of the unique elements in the 2nd column. I have tried this: cut -f 2 | uniq 'input' which does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count frequency of unique values in specific column

Hi, I have tab-deliminated data similar to the following: dot is-big 2 dot is-round 3 dot is-gray 4 cat is-big 3 hot in-summer 5 I want to count the frequency of each individual "unique" value in the 1st column. Thus, the desired output would be as follows: dot 3 cat 1 hot 1 is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to check word count of each word in file

I am trying to figure out to find word count of each word from my file sample file hi how are you hi are you ok sample out put hi 1 how 1 are 1 you 1 hi 1 are 1 you 1 ok 1 wc -l filename is not helping , i think we will have to split the lines and count and then print and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of unique values in each column of array

What is an efficient way of counting the number of unique values in a 400 column by 1000 row array and outputting the counts per column, assuming the unique values in the array are: A, B, C, D In other words the output should look like: Value COL1 COL2 COL3 A 50 51 52... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geneanalyst
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Copy columns from one file into another and get sum of column values and row count

I have a file abc.csv, from which I need column 24(PurchaseOrder_TotalCost) to get the sum_of_amounts with date and row count into another file say output.csv abc.csv- UTF-8,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tahir_M
6 Replies
LAM(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    LAM(1)

NAME
lam -- laminate files SYNOPSIS
lam [-f min.max] [-p min.max] [-s sepstring] [-t c] file ... DESCRIPTION
lam copies the named files side by side onto the standard output. The n-th input lines from the input files are considered fragments of the single long n-th output line into which they are assembled. The name ``-'' means the standard input, and may be repeated. Normally, each option affects only the file after it. If the option letter is capitalized it affects all subsequent files until it appears again uncapitalized. The options are described below. -f min.max Print line fragments according to the format string min.max, where min is the minimum field width and max the maximum field width. If min begins with a zero, zeros will be added to make up the field width, and if it begins with a '-', the fragment will be left-adjusted within the field. -p min.max Like -f, but pad this file's field when end-of-file is reached and other files are still active. -s sepstring Print sepstring before printing line fragments from the next file. This option may appear after the last file. -t c The input line terminator is c instead of a newline. The newline normally appended to each output line is omitted. To print files simultaneously for easy viewing use pr(1). EXAMPLES
The command lam file1 file2 file3 file4 joins 4 files together along each line. To merge the lines from four different files use lam file1 -S " " file2 file3 file4 Every 2 lines of a file may be joined on one line with lam - - < file and a form letter with substitutions keyed by '@' can be done with lam -t @ letter changes SEE ALSO
join(1), pr(1), printf(3) BSD
December 1, 2001 BSD