Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to recover deleted file in Solaris? Post 302654797 by jlliagre on Tuesday 12th of June 2012 09:25:04 AM
Old 06-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil kasar
is there any other way to recover the files.
Probably not, at least not with a simple/affordable method.
Quote:
can we recover from lost+found ?
No. lost+found is designed to store files lost after a file system failure, not for removed files.
Quote:
can we recover from partition of the mount point ?
Even while some or all of the data blocks containing the file content might still be on disk, the relationship between them is lost (ordering, location). Moreover, these blocks are eventually overwritten by new data.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recover deleted files

Is there a Unix tool, like in Novell, to recover accidentally deleted files? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuultak
2 Replies

2. AIX

recover deleted files

How to recover deleted files in AIX ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vjm
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to Recover a deleted file in SOLARIS

Anybody know how to recover a deleted file in unix Please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmsuper
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recover deleted file in unix

hi after using rm command how to recover the deleted file (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arulkumar
7 Replies

5. Solaris

how to recover from deleted etc in solaris 9

Recently our Server Room got burnt and we lost everything including a sunfire V880 server. I had a backup and restored it on our 2nd server. I mistakenly restored the etc folder from the burnt server too. After rebooting the 2nd server I can't get the root directory and other volumes mounting. I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
11 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Recover deleted partition

Hi, I have got 2 hdds (2x Seagate 7200.12, 500GB). I had two RAID volumes on them: 1: 100GB RAID0 (strip) 2: ~415GB RAID1 (mirror) due to problems with matrix I removed RAID0 and RAID1 - i thougth that all data from RAID1 would be available. Unfortunately it is not. On 1 disk I set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chrisdot
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to recover deleted file?

Hi All By mistake i have deleted some file in a directory, is there any way to get it back in Unix( i am using sh ) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to recover the deleted file in Linux?

hi, i deleted one file from linux please let me know, if we can recover it ? if yes, pls let me know the steps to do.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
3 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)