Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help required the cut the whole contents from one file and paste it into new file Post 302654663 by clx on Tuesday 12th of June 2012 06:31:31 AM
Old 06-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidburn_007
Now I want to cut the contents from this file based on date i.e. I am expecting the below code in a new file at the location [B]/home/usr/workarea/LogCopy.log

Code :-

Code:
(Feb 7, 571 7:07:29 AM), Setup

Do you want to redirect the each set of contents in a new file?
Please elaborate your requirement with expected output provided.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File contents required for emailing.

I have created three SQL scripts that are run by one central script. What I need to do is verify the output file from the three SQL scripts(KSH Scripts) is worth emailing. This I would like to do by verifiying the contents of the result file. The contrlooing script creates the result file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare 2 file contents , if same delete 2nd file contents

Give shell script....which takes two file names as input and compares the contents, is both are same delete second file's contents..... I try with "diff"...... but confusion how to use "diff" with if ---else Thanking you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut paste from one file to other

Hello, I am working on unix for the first time. I have to write a shell script where i want to cut paste from one file to other. File "1234.abc" is 03,12345555 16,936,x,x,120 16,936,x,x,100 49,12345555 03,12347710 16,936,x,x,115 16,936,x,x,122 49,12347710 03,12342222... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swapsb
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file

Hi, I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file in shell scripting. Ex. file1 sheel,sumit,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 sumit,rana,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 grade,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 name,sur,33,1,4,12,3,5,6,8 sheel,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 File2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranasheel2000
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace partial contents of file with contents read from other file

Hi, I am facing issue while reading data from a file in UNIX. my requirement is to compare two files and for the text pattern matching in the 1st file, replace the contents in second file by the contents of first file from start to the end and write the contents to thrid file. i am able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seeki
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut and paste data in new file

HI Guys, I have file A: Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kal Kaloo Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kalpooo Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kloo Abc Abc Klooo I want file B Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kal Kaloo Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kalpooo Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kloo File A is now 1 lines Abc Abc Klooo Cut all lines which have xyz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to cut a some required data from file

Data_Consolidation_Engine_Part_2_Job2..TgtArBkt: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist I have some thing like above in the file.. Upto this portion Data_Consolidation_Engine_Part_2_Job2..TgtArBkt: the length can be vary .. Can some one help me in taking this portion alone ORA-00942:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut, replace and Paste a String from one file to another

I need to cut all the Strings in one file and Paste it in the another file in the Specific line by replacing the specific String. For Example Step 1: From the newfile.txt, i need to copy all the strings newfile.txt How are you, I am fine, How is your work newfle2.txt Hello david,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padmanabhan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut a pipe delimited file and paste it with another file to form a comma separated outputfile

Hello ppl I have a requirement to split (cut in unix) a file (A.txt) which is a pipe delimited file into A1.txt and A2.txt Now I have to join (paste in unix) this A2.txt with external file A3.txt to form output file A4.txt which should be CSV (comma separated file) so that third party can... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldev
25 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
AUTOEXPECT(1)						      General Commands Manual						     AUTOEXPECT(1)

NAME
autoexpect - generate an Expect script from watching a session SYNOPSIS
autoexpect [ args ] [ program args... ] INTRODUCTION
autoexpect watches you interacting with another program and creates an Expect script that reproduces your interactions. For straightline scripts, autoexpect saves substantial time over writing scripts by hand. Even if you are an Expect expert, you will find it convenient to use autoexpect to automate the more mindless parts of interactions. It is much easier to cut/paste hunks of autoexpect scripts together than to write them from scratch. And if you are a beginner, you may be able to get away with learning nothing more about Expect than how to call autoexpect. The simplest way to use autoexpect is to call it from the command line with no arguments. For example: % autoexpect By default, autoexpect spawns a shell for you. Given a program name and arguments, autoexpect spawns that program. For example: % autoexpect ftp ftp.cme.nist.gov Once your spawned program is running, interact normally. When you have exited the shell (or program that you specified), autoexpect will create a new script for you. By default, autoexpect writes the new script to "script.exp". You can override this with the -f flag fol- lowed by a new script name. The following example runs "ftp ftp.cme.nist.gov" and stores the resulting Expect script in the file "nist". % autoexpect -f nist ftp ftp.cme.nist.gov It is important to understand that autoexpect does not guarantee a working script because it necessarily has to guess about certain things - and occasionally it guesses wrong. However, it is usually very easy to identify and fix these problems. The typical problems are: o Timing. A surprisingly large number of programs (rn, ksh, zsh, telnet, etc.) and devices (e.g., modems) ignore keystrokes that arrive "too quickly" after prompts. If you find your new script hanging up at one spot, try adding a short sleep just before the previous send. You can force this behavior throughout by overriding the variable "force_conservative" near the beginning of the generated script. This "conservative" mode makes autoexpect automatically pause briefly (one tenth of a second) before sending each char- acter. This pacifies every program I know of. This conservative mode is useful if you just want to quickly reassure yourself that the problem is a timing one (or if you really don't care about how fast the script runs). This same mode can be forced before script generation by using the -c flag. Fortunately, these timing spots are rare. For example, telnet ignores characters only after entering its escape sequence. Modems only ignore characters immediately after connecting to them for the first time. A few programs exhibit this behavior all the time but typically have a switch to disable it. For example, rn's -T flag disables this behavior. The following example starts autoexpect in conservative mode. autoexpect -c The -C flag defines a key to toggle conservative mode. The following example starts autoexpect (in non-conservative mode) with ^L as the toggle. (Note that the ^L is entered literally - i.e., enter a real control-L). autoexpect -C ^L The following example starts autoexpect in conservative mode with ^L as the toggle. autoexpect -c -C ^L o Echoing. Many program echo characters. For example, if you type "more" to a shell, what autoexpect actually sees is: you typed 'm', computer typed 'm', you typed 'o', computer typed 'o', you typed 'r', computer typed 'r', ... Without specific knowledge of the program, it is impossible to know if you are waiting to see each character echoed before typ- ing the next. If autoexpect sees characters being echoed, it assumes that it can send them all as a group rather than inter- leaving them the way they originally appeared. This makes the script more pleasant to read. However, it could conceivably be incorrect if you really had to wait to see each character echoed. o Change. Autoexpect records every character from the interaction in the script. This is desirable because it gives you the ability to make judgements about what is important and what can be replaced with a pattern match. On the other hand, if you use commands whose output differs from run to run, the generated scripts are not going to be correct. For example, the "date" command always produces different output. So using the date command while running autoexpect is a sure way to produce a script that will require editing in order for it to work. The -p flag puts autoexpect into "prompt mode". In this mode, autoexpect will only look for the the last line of program output - which is usually the prompt. This handles the date problem (see above) and most others. The following example starts autoexpect in prompt mode. autoexpect -p The -P flag defines a key to toggle prompt mode. The following example starts autoexpect (in non-prompt mode) with ^P as the toggle. Note that the ^P is entered literally - i.e., enter a real control-P. autoexpect -P ^P The following example starts autoexpect in prompt mode with ^P as the toggle. autoexpect -p -P ^P OTHER FLAGS
The -quiet flag disables informational messages produced by autoexpect. The -Q flag names a quote character which can be used to enter characters that autoexpect would otherwise consume because they are used as toggles. The following example shows a number of flags with quote used to provide a way of entering the toggles literally. autoexpect -P ^P -C ^L -Q ^Q STYLE
I don't know if there is a "style" for Expect programs but autoexpect should definitely not be held up as any model of style. For example, autoexpect uses features of Expect that are intended specifically for computer-generated scripting. So don't try to faithfully write scripts that appear as if they were generated by autoexpect. This is not useful. On the other hand, autoexpect scripts do show some worthwhile things. For example, you can see how any string must be quoted in order to use it in a Tcl script simply by running the strings through autoexpect. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology expect and autoexpect are in the public domain. NIST and I would appreciate credit if these programs or parts of them are used. 30 June 1995 AUTOEXPECT(1)