Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Read complete line
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Read complete line Post 302654479 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 12th of June 2012 01:36:58 AM
Old 06-12-2012
Try:
Code:
var='30 6 * * * /data/abc/abc.ksh -f xya.sql -xyz@email -x -c -g'
grep -F -- "$var" file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ls -R command but need complete path name on each line

Can anyone help me with the following: I need to traverse subdirectories to create a list of files with the pathname. For example, here's what I get with a simple ls -alR command: /MAIN/data/30007390 dte2>>ls -alR .: total 2 drwxrwx--- 4 ecfadmin staff 96 Oct 24 18:35 . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: condor4-2
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using the Esc key to complete command line typing

Dear Techs, In the past on a different box (HP) I use to be able to complete something I was typing by entering a portion of the filename in the pwd and I would hit the Esc key and it would match the rest of the filename. I did this without understanding how it was setup. Now I am on a new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete a word and complete line

Hi Canone please provide me solution how can achieve the result below: File1.txt $ sweet appleŁ1 scotish green $ This is a test1 $ sweet mangoŁ2 asia yellow $ This is a test 2 $ sweet apple red (there is no pound symbol here) germany green (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aejaz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a line on positions before reading complete line

Hi, I want to split before reading the complete line as the line is very big and its throwing out of memory. can you suggest. when i say #cat $inputFile | while read eachLine and use the eachLine to split its throwing out of memory as the line size is more than 10000000 characters. Can you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading complete line after spaces

Hi, I am reading data from a variable which has spaces in it. I want to get the data after first space, i.e. if my data line is "My Name is Ashish...", I want the data returned as "Name is Ashish". I am using #!/bin/sh shell. Please help me with the code to read the complete data after first... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gupt_ash
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can grep command return word instead of complete line

Hi Is there any way GREP command can return word and not complete line. My file has following data: Hello Everyone I am NitinrajSrivastava Hi Friends Welcome VrajSrivastava I am using grep 'raj' which is returning me complete line.However I want only the word having keyword 'raj'. Required... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
11 Replies

8. Programming

How can I read complete word from text file?

how can I know that the word in test file end at this point .... I have an Idea to search on ' ' , '\n' or '\0' but don't know what function can store the string before those characters .. help please ! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the complete line based on position as input

Hi , I have a text file like below abcd2223232321212121324343 asdsfffhfgfgfhgfhghghghghghgh dfdfdfgfghfgfgfgfgfgghghghghgh dfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdf 1234567890sasasasfdfbffghffhf abcd222323232121212abcdsds in the above file i need to grep and print the lines if 14th to 18th... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindj80
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the complete line?

Hello This is my first post in this site I have the next txt file "Employee.txt" with the next data ID Name Department Salary 1 Alejandro IT 1000 2 Alan HR 3000 3 Lupe IT 2500 4 Lili Desing 1500 i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdroopy
3 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)