Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Csh script with Undefined variable error Post 302654431 by hedkandi on Monday 11th of June 2012 11:27:08 PM
Old 06-12-2012
Csh script with Undefined variable error

hi there

I have this C shell script that was migrated from AIX to Linux, could someone please help me, I checked the syntax numerous times but I can't find out where the error is. The script is meant to find files older than 27 days and delete it

Code:
#!/usr/bin/csh
#

LOGFILE=/Mailbox/Control/bin/printers/log/`date +%d``hostname`prt.log

#
# Check if logfile exists
#
{
if [ \! -f $LOGFILE ]; then
    find `dirname $LOGFILE` -name '*'`hostname`prt.log -mtime +27 -exec rm {} \;
fi
} >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

Error after running script:
Code:
up1as00:/Mailbox/Control/bin/printers # ./sunprint.sh
LOGFILE=/Mailbox/Control/bin/printers/log/12up1as00prt.log: Command not found.
{: Command not found.
LOGFILE: Undefined variable.

I created a dummy file but the error persists

Code:
up1as00:/Mailbox/Control/bin/printers # ls -ld /Mailbox/Control/bin/printers/log/12up1as00prt.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 12 11:15 /Mailbox/Control/bin/printers/log/12up1as00prt.log

Am I missing something here? (in terms of syntaxing?)

Last edited by hedkandi; 06-12-2012 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: grammar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prompting for Input - Getting Undefined Variable

#!/bin/csh -f echo "Enter MEUPS User Id :-" read UID echo "You entered $UID" --------------------------------------- Whn executed, I get an error message "UID: Undefined variable" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kartheg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

undefined variable error

Hi all, Im using a script which contains read command.. the script works perfectly but when I alias the script it gave "undifined variable" after I enter the read command input (variable)... Does any one know why ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a csh script, can I set a variable to the result of an SQLPLUS select query?

Can someone tell me why I'm getting error when I try to run this? #!/bin/csh -f source ~/.cshrc # set SQLPLUS = ${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/sqlplus # set count=`$SQLPLUS -s ${DB_LOGIN} << END select count(1) from put_groups where group_name='PC' and description='EOD_EVENT' and serial_number=1;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregrobinsonhd
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass enviroment variable from csh to Informix sql script

Hello, I have a csh script that creates an environment variable. I want to pass the environment variable(CURR_TABLE_DATE) to an Informix sql script. Here is the csh: #!/bin/csh -f setenv INFORMIXSERVER market3_tcp setenv CURR_TABLE_DATE 20090714 set DATABASE = gm_cdr set SQL_DIR =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwoj
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Undefined variable in mv script

Hello, #this script renames schematic file for model year change #my = model year prefix my="lsd" for i in 'ls lsb*' do old=$i new='echo $i | cut - c4 - c30' mv $i $my$new end i: Undefined variable What am I missing or doing wrong? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtrescott
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Undefined variable error in csh script

Below csh script gives error: Undefined variable:confused: #!/bin/csh $QUERY="netscape"; COUNT_NETSCAPE=${ps | grep -c $QUERY}; echo $COUNT_NETSCAPE; when run gives error adroit:/home/seo/hitendra 64 ] ./unix_6.sh QUERY: Undefined variable. What is the root cause of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Undefined variable and command not found

Below script cuts date part from the date entered by the user. #!/bin/csh echo 'Enter date in the format dd/mm/yyyy' read DATE DD=`echo $DATE | cut -c1-2` echo $DD; when debug with -x option , it works perfectly but without -x doesnot.:confused: $ sh -x unix_12.sh + echo Enter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script help Undefined /illegal variable using cat

Hello group, Still fairly new at the whole scripting thing so be gentle. I'm trying to write a simple script that archives my log files into a master log broken into weeks of the year. My script runs fine up till the "cat" lines which I get a undefined or illegal variable name error. But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpreviti
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

error LD: undefined variable while changing shell from bash to csh

Hi, i am a beginner in ubuntu. my default shell is bash. everytime i try to change the shell with command "csh", i get a message (probably an error message). after i get into c-shell, when i try to execute a c shellscript, then it showed the same message. any idea about what is this about or any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Avinash Nayak
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Undefined variable error

I am getting the error undefined variable even after following these steps #read name abcd #echo $name na: undefined variable (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishawdeep
6 Replies
SCRIPT(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)