Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cut command help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut command help Post 302654391 by methyl on Monday 11th of June 2012 07:16:38 PM
Old 06-11-2012
Please do listen to the other posters who are trying to help you.

Please post a decent sized sample directory listing and an ideal matching selection, and explain the process in words (not code or pseudo-code).

...and please lose the --> from your posts (posts can be edited) and stick to precise and accurate commands typed and their results. Any irrelevant characters are very confusing.

Please post what Operating System and version you are running and what Shell you prefer.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CUT Command

Hi, Can anyone tell me if I can apply multiple cut on a single variable like below in a sh script: tmp=`cut -c 1-4 $val` tmp1=`cut -c 5-12 $val` tmp2=`cut -c 13-18 $val` If not, what is the other way to do this. Thanks and Best Regards Shoeb (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb_syed
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut Command help

Hi , I am new to Unix.I have a shell script whenere I wnat to find if a particular server is running and kill all the instances of it (running on different ports) script filename to start the srever is say abcd If i do ps -eaf | grep abc I get all the instances of srever running .In the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shradham
1 Replies

3. AIX

Use of Cut Command

Hi All, Can anyone tell me how to use cut command?I have tried but its not working...Please find the details below : $ cat file1 SlNo. E_ID E_Name Age Dept 1 123 A 20 Electrical 2 124 B 20 Electronics 3 125 C 24 Computer 4 126 D 23 Mechanical ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puja Sharma
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut command help

n2=user1 pts/3 2010-06-29 01 Now i want to split this string with space(' ') character. After splitting output would be: use1 pts/3 2010-06-29 01 I did: nn=${n2} | cut -d ' ' -f2 echo ${nn} It prints nothing. I want the output: pts/3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

7. AIX

Need help on cut command

HI, i have data in one variable like out=/usr/sbin/filename and i want output like only out=filename how to do (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command

Hi All, I am a beginner learning shell script, Would it be possible to use -c and -f in cut command together ? Example : /opt/oracle/work/Antony/Shell_Script> cat shortlist 2233|a.k. shukula |g.m. |sales2 |12/12/52 |6000 1006|chanchal singhvi ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
PSIGNAL(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						PSIGNAL(9)

NAME
psignal, pgsignal, gsignal, tdsignal -- post signal to a thread, process, or process group SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/signalvar.h> void psignal(struct proc *p, int signum); void pgsignal(struct pgrp *pgrp, int signum, int checkctty); void gsignal(int pgid, int signum); void tdsignal(struct thread *td, int signum); DESCRIPTION
These functions post a signal to a thread or one or more processes. The argument signum common to all three functions should be in the range [1-NSIG]. The psignal() function posts signal number signum to the process represented by the process structure p. With a few exceptions noted below, the target process signal disposition is updated and is marked as runnable, so further handling of the signal is done in the context of the target process after a context switch. Note that psignal() does not by itself cause a context switch to happen. The target process is not marked as runnable in the following cases: o The target process is sleeping uninterruptibly. The signal will be noticed when the process returns from the system call or trap. o The target process is currently ignoring the signal. o If a stop signal is sent to a sleeping process that takes the default action (see sigaction(2)), the process is stopped without awakening it. o SIGCONT restarts a stopped process (or puts them back to sleep) regardless of the signal action (e.g., blocked or ignored). If the target process is being traced psignal() behaves as if the target process were taking the default action for signum. This allows the tracing process to be notified of the signal. The pgsignal() function posts signal number signum to each member of the process group described by pgrp. If checkctty is non-zero, the sig- nal will be posted only to processes that have a controlling terminal. pgsignal() is implemented by walking along the process list headed by the field pg_members of the process group structure pointed at by pgrp and calling psignal() as appropriate. If pgrp is NULL no action is taken. The gsignal() function posts signal number signum to each member of the process group identified by the group id pgid. gsignal() first finds the group structure associated with pgid, then invokes pgsignal() with the argument checkctty set to zero. If pgid is zero no action is taken. The tdsignal() function posts signal number signum to the thread represented by the thread structure td. SEE ALSO
sigaction(2), signal(9), tsleep(9) BSD
October 8, 2011 BSD