Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Create New Group/User/Password in S10 Post 302653895 by jlliagre on Monday 11th of June 2012 01:49:30 AM
Old 06-11-2012
As autofs is managing /home by default, just add this line to /etc/auto_home:
Code:
 * localhost:/export/home/&

and you'll be able to access /export/home/username through /home/username and so use the latter as home directory:
Code:
# usermod -d /home/object object

By the way, don't use mixed case or all upercase user/group names. While no strictly prohibited, it is a poor practice that sooner or later will lead to issues.

Last edited by jlliagre; 06-11-2012 at 02:56 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create/restrict a user with to have no privilege from other group

Hello experts I am new to Unix. Env : HPUX I need to create a user say testuser such that it does not have access to file/directories from the other group i.e the last 3 digits . How do I do that. Reason for such a request :- I have an existing user oracle which has default umask... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonsimon
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create new user account and password in shell script

I am trying to create a shell script that will: check if a specific user already exists if not, create a specific group and create the user in that group assign a password to that user, where the password is passed in as a parameter to the script The problem that I need help with is 3 on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: killuane
4 Replies

3. AIX

How to create new user and add group

Hello, I am new in AIX please tell how can i create user and add group in this user for example, i want to create user umair and want to add this user primanry group DBA and secondary group ORACLE,how can i do this please tell in detail Thanks, Umair (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umair
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create new group/delete existing group

Hi, please let me know the commands to create new group/delete existing group in unix and assigning users to newly created group. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kancherla.sree
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

New To UNIX - Need Script to create report of user & group accounts

Hi, I'm new to the world of UNIX and have been asked to create a complex script (at least complex to me:confused:) for AIX UNIX to create a report of all the users on the server including server, user, UID, groups, GID, etc. Found a script using lsuser, but the output is still lacking. 2 things I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panthur
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one line command to create and set password for new user...

Using useradd abc --password password (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagruti Rml
5 Replies
createhomedir(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  createhomedir(1)

NAME
createhomedir -- create and populate home directories on the local computer. SYNOPSIS
createhomedir [-scbalh] [-n directoryDomainName] [-u username] DESCRIPTION
createhomedir provides several options for creating and populating home directories. OPTIONS
-s creates home directories for server home paths only (default). -c creates home directories for local home paths only. -b creates home directories for both server and local home paths. -a creates home directories for users defined in all directory domains of the server's search path. -l creates home directories for users defined in the local directory domain. -n directoryDomainName creates home directories for users defined in a specific directory domain in the server's search path. -u username creates a home directory for a specific user defined in the domain(s) identified in the -a, -l, or -n parameter. If you omit the -a, -l, and -n parameters when you use the -u parameter, -a is assumed. -i reads username list from standard input and creates specified home directories. Each username should be on its own line. -h usage help. FILES
/usr/sbin/createhomedir location of tool CAVEATS
When using the -a option, search limits of various directory servers (such as Open Directory or Active Directory) can prevent all possible home directories from being created. In this case, you may need to specify the usernames explicitly. Mac OS X June 1, 2019 Mac OS X