Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to change first line of files in directory Post 302653603 by LMHmedchem on Saturday 9th of June 2012 03:01:41 PM
Old 06-09-2012
Sorry, I didn't see these last two posts, I will give the code a try.

LMHmedchem

---------- Post updated at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:42 PM ----------

Well using the script posted by alister, I get the following error,

line 14: ed: command not found

line 14 is,

printf %s\\n 1c "$f" . w q | ed -s "$f"

If I add the code from agama, I get the following error,

line 5: cd: ./test_script/: No such file or directory
abort: could not switch to './test_script/' or parameter was missing

This is the code I am using,
Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash

# mol_filename2firstline_2.sh 

cd "$1"

if ! cd "${1:-no-such-directory}"     # also quote on the off chance that something in the path has spaces
then
   echo "abort: could not switch to '$1' or parameter was missing"
   exit 1
fi

for f in *; do
    [ ! -f "$f" ] && continue
    if [ -s "$f" ]; then
        printf %s\\n 1c "$f" . w q | ed -s "$f"
    else
        printf %s\\n "$f" > "$f"
    fi
done

run as,

./mol_filename2firstline_2.sh test_script/

I did stick my code into the loop to see what would happen, and it does work.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash
# mol_filename2firstline_3.sh 
# accepts a directly name dir/ and add replaces the first line of all .mol files
# with the filename

cd "$1"

for f in *.mol; do
   sed "1 c\\$f" $f > TEMP
   cp -f TEMP $f
   rm -f TEMP
done

It is rather slow at 1.4s for 20 files.

LMHmedchem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I change ownership of a directory and all of it's files.

How do I change ownership of a directory and all of it's files without changing permissions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mborin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Directory via a script?

I would like to have a script that would change my current working directory. However, any time I execute a 'cd' command in a script, it holds only for the life of that script -- the working directory on exit is the same as when the script was initiated. Is it possible to have the script return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: George Borrmann
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change of directory thru script

:confused: Hi All, This script is not working. I want to change the directory as per users selection in current shell. Looks like it is spawning sub-shell internally. I have used . changedir.sh source changedir.sh ./changedire.sh But did not work. Currently shell directory remain the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiningram
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change directory using shell script

How do u change ur directory using a shell script?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi
0 Replies

5. Linux

Change directory in a shell script

How do u change ur directory using a shell script?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change file contents line by line

Hi, I'm struggling to write a script to do the following, -will go through each line in the file -in a specific character positions, changes the value to a new value -These character positions are fixed througout the file ----------------------- e.g.: file1.sh will have the following 3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vini99
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

directory change in shell script

Hi, I am trying to change the directory in my script, & want to check if the directory is present or not . Ex: cd /home/xyz/temp/logs if the logs directory is not present i want to show the error in script instead of shell script error. Can anybody please help me on the same Thx in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vls1210
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a directory in shell script?

HI, I need to change the working directory by using the shell script /Export/home/user_name I have to go one step back like /Export/home Please help on this.:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply 'awk' to all files in a directory or individual files from a command line

Hi All, I am using the awk command to replace ',' by '\t' (tabs) in a csv file. I would like to apply this to all .csv files in a directory and create .txt files with the tabs. How would I do this in a script? I have the following script called "csvtabs": awk 'BEGIN { FS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScKaSx
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change ? char from files and directory

Hello, I must change files and dirs name which contains che "?" char, I try this: rename 's/?/-/' *.* nothing, what's the problem? thanks (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ionral
14 Replies
COMMAND-NOT-FOUND(1)					    http://en.opensuse.org/Sco					      COMMAND-NOT-FOUND(1)

NAME
command-not-found - A command-not-found handler SYNOPSIS
command-not-found {binary_name} {repository} ARGUMENTS
The following arguments are required: binary_name The name of binary you are looking for. repository The name of repository for search. For most cases, use zypp DESCRIPTION
command-not-found handler is designed to tell users which package contains a missing command. The handler is integrated to bash(1) and zsh(1) shells and is not necessary to call it directly. Just type a name of the command in your favourite shell and you'll get a result. If you consider c-n-f handler useless, just add unset command_not_found_handle to your profile or remove the command-not-found package. Handler doesn't call the command-not-found binary directly, it only prints info about it. If you want to invoke it automatically, just add export COMMAND_NOT_FOUND_AUTO=1 to your bash profile. EXAMPLE
: NORMAL USAGE For example you want to try blender, because you have heard that is an amazing program. So just type blender in shell: $ blender You get the following output: The program 'blender' can be found in the following package: * blender [ path: /usr/bin/blender, repository: zypp (openSUSE 11.1-0) ] Try installing with: sudo zypper install blender bash: blender: command not found SEE ALSO
scout(1) AUTHOR
Pavol Rusnak <stick@gk2.sk> Developer http://gitorious.org/opensus 08/07/2009 COMMAND-NOT-FOUND(1)