Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash keep only duplicate lines in file Post 302653573 by agama on Saturday 9th of June 2012 01:57:02 PM
Old 06-09-2012
To do this a bit more information is needed:

1) is the file sorted, or are the lines you wish to 'keep' adjacent to each other in the file?

2) is the order of the output important? Do the lines 'kept' need to be in the same order that they appeared in the input?

3) do some lines appear more than twice, and should those be kept as well, or do you want to keep the lines that appear exactly twice?

4) how big is the file in terms of number of lines?

Last edited by agama; 06-09-2012 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Duplicate Lines in File

I am doing KSH script to remove duplicate lines in a file. Let say the file has format below. FileA 1253-6856 3101-4011 1827-1356 1822-1157 1822-1157 1000-1410 1000-1410 1822-1231 1822-1231 3101-4011 1822-1157 1822-1231 and I want to simply it with no duplicate line as file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teh Tiack Ein
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Duplicate lines in the file

Hi, I have a file with duplicate lines in it. I want to keep only the duplicate lines and delete the non duplicates. Can some one please help me? Regards Narayana Gupta (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicate lines from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove duplicate lines from a file. For example the contents of example.txt is: this is a test 2342 this is a test 34343 this is a test 43434 and i want to remove the "this is a test" lines only and end up with the numbers in the file, that is, end up with: 2342... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to redirect duplicate lines from a file????

Hi, I am having a file which contains many duplicate lines. I wanted to redirect these duplicate lines into another file. Suppose I have a file called file_dup.txt which contains some line as file_dup.txt A100-R1 ACCOUNTING-CONTROL ACTONA-ACTASTOR ADMIN-AUTH-STATS ACTONA-ACTASTOR... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove Duplicate lines from File

I have a log file "logreport" that contains several lines as seen below: 04:20:00 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared dead but responded to ping 06:38:08 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared dead but responded to ping 07:11:05 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared dead but... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nysif Steve
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duplicate lines in a file

Hi All, I am trying to remove the duplicate entries in a file and print them just once. For example, if my input file has: 00:44,37,67,56,15,12 00:44,34,67,56,15,12 00:44,58,67,56,15,12 00:44,35,67,56,15,12 00:59,37,67,56,15,12 00:59,34,67,56,15,12 00:59,35,67,56,15,12... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: faiz1985
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I remove the duplicate lines in this file?

Hey guys, need some help to fix this script. I am trying to remove all the duplicate lines in this file. I wrote the following script, but does not work. What is the problem? The output file should only contain five lines: Later! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Duplicate lines in a file

I have a file with following data A B C I would like to print like this n times(For eg:5 times) A B C A B C A B C A B C A (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsuresh316
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines from a file

Hi, I have a csv file which contains some millions of lines in it. The first line(Header) repeats at every 50000th line. I want to remove all the duplicate headers from the second occurance(should not remove the first line). I don't want to use any pattern from the Header as I have some... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakar T
7 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-cdu] [-f fields] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the standard input comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the standard output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Don't output lines that are not repeated in the input. -f fields Ignore the first fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adja- cent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e. the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first fields fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e. the first character is character one. -u Don't output lines that are repeated in the input. If additional arguments are specified on the command line, the first such argument is used as the name of an input file, the second is used as the name of an output file. The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
January 6, 2007 BSD