Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk search file then pipe to mail Post 302653405 by tfxobrien on Friday 8th of June 2012 08:08:19 PM
Old 06-08-2012
awk search file then pipe to mail

I need to write a script to search a static file (file1) in the form
Name Email
tim tfxo@gmail.com
bob bob@sss.com
and then mail them another file (file2) that is input from the command line.
The command line would be:
script.awk who file2 subject
and the result would be
mail -s subject who < file2
My centos is old and mail does not support -a
I am a novice so if there is a better way without awk please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK Pipe (truncate last few lines from file)

Hello, does anybody have a clue why the following code isn't working in csh: awk 'END{print FNR-5}' x.log | awk 'FNR<$1' x.log > x2.log I want to remove the last 5 lines of a file without using a variable. Thanks Tim (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxuser
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for & edit rows & columns in data file and pipe

Dear unix gurus, I have a data file with header information about a subject and also 3 columns of n rows of data on various items he owns. The data file looks something like this: adam peter blah blah blah blah blah blah car 01 30 200 02 31 400 03 57 121 .. .. .. .. .. .. n y... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering mail into a named pipe

Hello, On my machine, all mail is stored in my /var/spool/mail. IS there a way to direct all mail that goes there into a namep pipe? Thank you, Dado (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dadoprso
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to Search and Replace inside the pipe "|"

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to replace the qoutes inside the pipe | in my Text File like belows; "AAAA"|"Test "1-A""|"Test AAAA"|"This is A" "BBBB"|"Test "1-B""|"Test BBBB"|"This is B" "CCCC"|"My Test C"|"Test "CCCC""|"This is C" The output I need like belows; "AAAA"|"Test 1-A"|"Test... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script Help...search then read from file: change text and pipe back...

Hello, I am trying to make a bash script that can pull data from a file and then change one part of said data. I want to search by username and pull the full line. That way there is a way to replace just one part of that line then return it back to the file. My Data is stored like: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: serverfull
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use awk to pipe output from one file into multiple files

Hi All. Thanks for your help in advance. I have a requirement to examine the number of delimiters in each record of a file. If the record has the expected number of delimiters it should be passed into a 'good' file. If it does not, the record should be passed into a 'bad' file. I have been able... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: codestar1
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to Perl Mail @ sign search and replace in a file

HI I'm terribly new to perl .. I;ve been trying to use this command to search and replace entries in a file I tried this and it works perl -p -i -e 's/old/new/' filename Problem is that I have a list of email addresses and I need to serach and replace the entire email address as my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BOTH pipe and file(s) into awk

Hello all, quick question: is it possible to pass input into AWK BOTH with a pipe AND a file at the same time, something like this: command .......|awk '.................' FILEIN > fileout All I read says either one or the other, not both, is it at all possible? And how would the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk command to split pipe delimited file

Hello, I need to split a pipe de-limited file based on the COLUMN 7 value . If the column value changes I need to split the file Source File Payment|ID|DATE|TIME|CONTROLNUMBER|NUMBER|NAME|INDICATOR 42156974|1137937|10/1/2018|104440|4232|2054391|CARE|1... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
9 Replies
XDG-EMAIL(1)															      XDG-EMAIL(1)

NAME
xdg-email - command line tool for sending mail using the user's preferred e-mail composer SYNOPSIS
xdg-email [--utf8] [--cc address] [--bcc address] [--subject text] [--body text] [--attach file] [mailto-uri address(es)] xdg-email {--help --manual --version} DESCRIPTION
xdg-email opens the user's preferred e-mail composer in order to send a mail to address(es) or mailto-uri. RFC2368 defines mailto: URIs. xdg-email limits support to, cc, subject and body fields in mailto-uri, all other fields are silently ignored. address(es) must follow the syntax of RFC822. Multiple addresses may be provided as separate arguments. All information provided on the command line is used to prefill corresponding fields in the user's e-mail composer. The user will have the opportunity to change any of this information before actually sending the e-mail. xdg-email is for use inside a desktop session only. It is not recommended to use xdg-email as root. See http://portland.freedesktop.org/EmailConfig for information on how the user can change the e-mail composer that is used. OPTIONS
--utf8 Indicates that all command line options that follow are in utf8. Without this option, command line options are expected to be encoded according to locale. If the locale already specifies utf8 this option has no effect. This option does not affect mailto URIs that are passed on the command line. --cc address Specify a recipient to be copied on the e-mail. --bcc address Specify a recipient to be blindly copied on the e-mail. --subject text Specify a subject for the e-mail. --body text Specify a body for the e-mail. Since the user will be able to make changes before actually sending the e-mail, this can be used to provide the user with a template for the e-mail. text may contain linebreaks. --attach file Specify an attachment for the e-mail. file must point to an existing file. Some e-mail applications require the file to remain present after xdg-email returns. --help Show command synopsis. --manual Show this manualpage. --version Show the xdg-utils version information. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
xdg-email honours the following environment variables: XDG_UTILS_DEBUG_LEVEL Setting this environment variable to a non-zero numerical value makes xdg-email do more verbose reporting on stderr. Setting a higher value increases the verbosity. EXIT CODES
An exit code of 0 indicates success while a non-zero exit code indicates failure. The following failure codes can be returned: 1 Error in command line syntax. 2 One of the files passed on the command line did not exist. 3 A required tool could not be found. 4 The action failed. 5 No permission to read one of the files passed on the command line. CONFIGURATION
Visit http://portland.freedesktop.org/EmailConfig for information how to configure xdg-email to use the email client of your choice. EXAMPLES
xdg-email 'Jeremy White <jwhite@example.com>' xdg-email --attach /tmp/logo.png --subject 'Logo contest' --body 'Attached you find the logo for the contest.' 'jwhite@example.com' xdg-email --subject 'Your password is about to expire' 'jwhite@example.com' 'bastian@example.com' 'whipple@example.com' AUTHOR
Kevin Krammer, Jeremy White. <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> <jwhite@codeweavers.com> xdg-utils 1.0 06/24/2007 XDG-EMAIL(1)