Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Write $line number into textfile and read from line number Post 302653133 by bobylapointe on Friday 8th of June 2012 12:32:20 PM
Old 06-08-2012
It's a wordlist. utf8.
One word per line.

---------- Post updated at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:23 AM ----------

Somebody helped me out (Santhosh). I'm going to copy paste the code here just in case someone needs it in the future.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

TMP_FILE="/tmp/currentLineNumber"                         # a constant

current_line_count=0                                      # track the current line number

processed_lines_count=0

# Verify if we have already processed some stuff.
if [ -r "${TMP_FILE}" ]; then
  processed_lines_count=$(cat ${TMP_FILE})
fi

while read -r line; do                                    # I 'm reading from a big wordlist

# Skip processing till we reach the line that needs to be processed.

if [ $current_line_count -le $processed_lines_count ]; then

# do nothing as this line has already been processed
      current_line_count=$((current_line_count+1))        # increment the counter
      continue

fi

current_line_count=$((current_line_count+1))
    echo $current_line_count > ${TMP_FILE}                # cache the line number

# perform your operations
    command1 using $line
    command2 using $line

done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the line number from while read

I have a file TXTPROCESS.TXT.20071129 in which line 1 contains the file name and rest of the records are data. The file data looks like this: TXTPROCESS.TXT.20071129 DIVD20071129 INTR20071129 BALN20071129 From line 2 onwards the first 4 characters defines individual process. What I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skymirror
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending line number to each line and getting total number of lines

Hello, I need help in appending the line number of each line to the file and also to get the total number of lines. Can somebody please help me. I have a file say: abc def ccc ddd ffff The output should be: Instance1=abc Instance2=def Instance3=ccc Instance4=ddd Instance5=ffff ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a columnfrom a specifit line number to a specific line number

Hi, I have a huge file & I want to add a specific text in column. But I want to add this text from a specific line number to a specific line number & another text in to another range of line numbers. To be more specific: lets say my file has 1000 lines & 4 Columns. I want to add text "Hello"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ezy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the data from line number 1 to line number 100 of a file

Hi Everybody, I am trying to write a script that will get some perticuler data from a file and redirect to a file. My Question is, I have a Very huge file,In that file I have my required data is started from 25th line and it will ends in 100th line. I know the line numbers, I need to get all... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anji
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the specified line number from file

Hi Guys, I am new to unix. Actually i want help in writing an single command where i can actually read specific line number in file where the line number will be passed to command as parameter. ex. 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d And to my command i pass as 2. so i should get output as 2 b ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kam786sim
15 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

write specific line number in file

dear all, i need your advice i have sample script like this: testing.sh for i in {1..10} do echo testing $i done but i forgot create "#!/bin/bash" in above "for" so i want output will like this testing.sh #!/bin/bash for i in {1..10} do echo testing $i done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read line with particular number of lines

Hi all, I have a file sample.txt abc asd adf daf adw add adv wdf I want to control the number of lines to read Like if i give input as ./script_name 2 5 required output asd adf daf (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krux_rap
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut from specific line number to a line number

Hi All, I've a file like this.. Sheet1 a,1 a,2 a,3 a,4 a,5 Sheet2 a,6 a,7 a,8 a,9 a,10 Sheet3 a,11 a,12 a,13 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manab86
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a file starting at certain line number?

I am new to ksh scripts. I would like to be able to read a file line by line from a certain line number. I have a specific line number saved in a variable, say $lineNumber. How can I start reading the file from the line number saved in $lineNumber? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcowboys13
4 Replies
XmScrollVisible(library call)											     XmScrollVisible(library call)

NAME
XmScrollVisible -- A ScrolledWindow function that makes an invisible descendant of a ScrolledWindow work area visible SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/ScrolledW.h> void XmScrollVisible( Widget scrollw_widget, Widget widget, Dimension left_right_margin, Dimension top_bottom_margin); DESCRIPTION
XmScrollVisible makes an obscured or partially obscured widget or gadget descendant of a ScrolledWindow work area visible. The function re- positions the work area and sets the specified margins between the widget and the nearest viewport boundary. The widget's location relative to the viewport determines whether one or both of the margins must be adjusted. This function requires that the XmNscrollingPolicy of the ScrolledWindow widget be set to XmAUTOMATIC. scrollw_widget Specifies the ID of the ScrolledWindow widget whose work area window contains an obscured descendant. widget Specifies the ID of the widget to be made visible. left_right_margin Specifies the margin to establish between the left or right edge of the widget and the associated edge of the viewport. This margin is established only if the widget must be moved horizontally to make it visible. top_bottom_margin Specifies the margin to establish between the top or bottom edge of the widget and the associated edge of the viewport. This margin is established only if the widget must be moved vertically to make it visible. For a complete definition of ScrolledWindow and its associated resources, see XmScrolledWindow(3) RELATED
XmScrolledWindow(3). XmScrollVisible(library call)