Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing double spaces in code Post 302652307 by figaro on Thursday 7th of June 2012 02:41:33 AM
Old 06-07-2012
Removing double spaces in code

I want to be able to spot double spaces in code and then also replace it with a single space. Double spaces sometimes occur accidentally in code, but most often they are indents or seperate code from comments ("//"). In summary: I want to replace double spaces with single spaces where they do not appear at the beginning of the line and do not appear prior to "//".
How do I do this in for instance sed?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing spaces between records

Hi I have an XML file. Which has spaces between different records.... current file( Has many lines, like this... I want to delete all the spaces between > and <, if there are only spaces between them) input file <xyzr> <abc>1234</xyzr> <aaa> <bbb> ayz mnz</bbb> <sen>KEA... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces

hey.. i had a problem with the unix command when i want to remove the white spaces in a string..i guess i cud do it with a sed command but i get an error when i give space in the square brackets.. string="nh hjh llk" p=`echo $string | sed 's/ //g'` i donno how to give space charater and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahithi_khushi
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Double Spaces for cut command

Hi I have a shell script that looks for running processes in order to kill them. The script (ksh) gets the PID of these processes using the following: PROCS=`ps -fu ${USERID} | egrep "MONITOR" | grep -v grep | cut -d" " -f4` However, I spotted an issue where PID's of different lengths... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikem22
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing spaces...

Hey, I'm using the command from this thread https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/590-converting-list-into-line.html to convert vertical lines to horzontal lines. But I need to remove the spaces that is created. Unfortunately I can't figure out where the space is in the code.. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces from string

I want a user to be able to paste in a string like "01 3F 20 1F" and have the script reformat it to "013F201F" to pass it on to the next step. I was trying to figure it out with awk but wasnt working well. Never mind, found answer. did not know about tr :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ippy98
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces in filenames

I have a problem mounting images because of the spaces in the filenames. Does anyone know how to rename files by removing the spaces with the find command? find Desktop/$dir -name "*.dmg" -print -exec ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianebaj
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing spaces in the second field alone

Consider my input string as "abc|b f g|bj gy" I am expecting the output as "abc|bfg|bj gy". Please let me know how to achieve this in unix? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Removing blank spaces

Hi , I want to go out of vi editor temporarily and execute a command in command prompt and again going back to the editor . Is it possible . Any help on this is really helpful. 1. Need to open vi 2. Temporarily come out and execute a command and go back to vi editor (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blanks, spaces

I have pipe separated file with lots of blank spaces. After using sed -e 's/ *| */|/g' this command ,its giving me output as TT0000013101640| HCAMBLAMCNB010|Jul 3 2012 11:14AM| HARYANA| Bangali Mohalla | TCL-UBR|9368040005|9355264655|9218509220|NULL ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sususa
5 Replies
roffbib(1)						      General Commands Manual							roffbib(1)

Name
       roffbib - run off bibliographic database

Syntax
       roffbib [options] [file...]

Description
       The  command prints out all records in a bibliographic database, in bibliography format rather than as footnotes or endnotes.  Generally it
       is used in conjunction with

sortbib	database | roffbib

Options
       The command accepts most of the options understood by nroff(1).

-Tterm	   Uses specified name as terminal type for which output is prepared.

-x	   Suppresses the printing of abstracts.

If abstracts or comments are entered following the %X field key, formats them into paragraphs for an annotated  bibliography.   Several	%X
       fields may be given if several annotation paragraphs are desired.

-e     Formats text with equally spaced words, justified lines, and full resolution.

-h     Uses tabs in horizontal spacing to speed output and reduce output character count.  Tab characters are assumed to be every 8 nominal
	      character widths.

-n     Uses specified number (-nN) as first page to be printed.

-o     Uses specified list (-olist) as only pages to be printed.  A range N-M means pages N through M.  An initial -N means from the begin-
	      ning to page N.  A final N- means from N to the end.

-s     Stops after specified number of pages (-sn).

-m mac Specifies  a user-defined set of macros with space between -m and the macro file name.  This set of macros replaces the ones defined
	      in /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.bib.

-V     Sends output to the Versatec.

-Q     Queues output for the phototypesetter.

-raN   Sets named register a to specified value N.

Four command-line registers control formatting style of the bibliography, much like the number registers of ms(7).  The command-line  argu-
       ment  -rN1  numbers  the references starting at one (1).  The flag -rV2 double spaces the bibliography, while -rV1 double spaces references
       but single spaces annotation paragraphs.  The line length can be changed from the default 6.5 inches to 6 inches with the  -rL6i  argument,
       and the page offset can be set from the default of 0 to one inch by specifying -rO1i (capital O, not zero).  Note: with the -V and -Q flags
       the default page offset is already one inch.

Files
       /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.bib  file of macros used by nroff/troff

See Also
       addbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), sortbib(1)

roffbib(1)