Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lost /etc/passwd file
Operating Systems Solaris Lost /etc/passwd file Post 302652157 by methyl on Wednesday 6th of June 2012 03:22:19 PM
Old 06-06-2012
The find command with option -nouser is very useful for finding all the files and directories where the UID does not appear in /etc/passwd.
Similarly find with -user set to a numeric UID to find all files and directories for a particular UID whether or not it appears in /etc/passwd.
Obviously use the usermod command to adjust UIDs in /etc/passwd (NOT vipw or whatever). Always copy the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files before making any changes like this.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Lost Data Lost Admin

First time so excuse my ignorance please. I may not be accurately describing the issue. I have inherited a small lab mostly SUN V120s. We lost power and are trying to recover. Nope no backups... The primary issue I have is 1 box is an Oracle Server. It has 2 36Gb harddrives. I am able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphsr
3 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

/etc/passwd file

hi Does anyone anyone know what the last line of a unix user passwd file signifes? Mine shows "+:::::" best (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_mad010
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Lost space on file system

Hi everybody, I got a problem on my SUN server in Solaris 9. I'll try to explain, if somebody could help me. I have mounted some volumes in RAID 0+1, that is stripped slices and then mirror. To be clear the result of metastat d80 is as follow : d80: Mirror Submirror 0: d81 State:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in /etc/passwd file

Hi all, As all of us know that in /etc/passwd file the first field correspond to username could any one tell me what is bin , damoen etc in the first field, and r they in user field , what is nologin in the last column ? root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lost file

I have another problem. I have a text file in which I had written a number of quotations to use in my paper. Luckily, I know that the file is somewhere in my ~/UnixCourse directory or in some subdirectory directly or indeirently within it. I also know that the file name ended in '.txt'. I know i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: starwind4
1 Replies

6. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with passwd file

Not an unix expert, I read a few pages on the web about passwd files, but I didn't find the answers I need about the last 8 lines of the passwd file I'm taking a look at. I'm assuming their shortcuts to another file that may have the actual usernames of users on the system. Please, any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fusion31
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding my lost file by searching for words in it

Got a question for you guys...I am searching through a public directory (that has tons of files) trying to find a file that I was working on a longggggg time ago. I can't remember what it is called, but I do remember the content. It should contains words like this: Joe Pulvo botnet zeus... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: statichazard
5 Replies

9. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies
installboot(1M) 														   installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)