Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names Post 302651911 by gary_w on Wednesday 6th of June 2012 10:42:03 AM
Old 06-06-2012
This works. Note Rule_Severity is null to test:
Code:
$ cat x
#!/bin/sh

Group_ID='V-4269-1'
Group_Title='Unnecessary Accounts, Games.'
Rule_ID='SV-4269-lr4_rule'
Rule_Severity=""
Rule_Version='GEN000290-1'
Rule_Title='The system must not have the unnecessary "games" account.'
Rule_Fix_Text='Remove the "games" account from the /etc/password file before connecting a system to the network.'

CheckValues() {
    for field in \
        Group_ID \
        Group_Title \
        Rule_ID \
        Rule_Severity \
        Rule_Version \
        Rule_Title \
        Rule_Fix_Text; do
        eval var="\$${field}"
        if [ -z "$var" ]; then
            echo "Error, field [${field}] undefined."
        else
            echo "$var"
        fi
    done
}

CheckValues

exit 0
$ x
V-4269-1
Unnecessary Accounts, Games.
SV-4269-lr4_rule
Error, field [Rule_Severity] undefined.
GEN000290-1
The system must not have the unnecessary "games" account.
Remove the "games" account from the /etc/password file before connecting a system to the network.
$

This User Gave Thanks to gary_w For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable to awk while in a shell for loop

I am a newbie to awk and c programming, however am not a unix newbie. However, I do need help with a kshell script I am writing. It is almost complete, the last step is killing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What I am trying to do is cat a text file that has usernames. Then, using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: synergy_texas
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Names in a Variable in a loop

Hi All , I am having confusion in a shell script. Please guide me. I need to get multiple files (number of files vary time to time, file names are separated by '|') using FTP get from the remote server. Actually, i call the FTP function in a loop. At the last step, i need to move all the get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate string containing shell variable names

Hello, I have this: #!/usr/bin/ksh V1=ABC str="hello 123;${V1}" eval "echo $str" i get hello 123 /script.sh ABC not found However eval works if $str variable doesn't contain a semicolumn (eg if str="hello 123~${v1}" running the eval statement above would produce (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: endorphin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script variable names created dynamically

Hi, I'm trying to use a config file to define frequencies for checking log files. If the config file contains a frequency it will be used else a default value. The format of the config file (and hence the environment variable) is FREQ_log_logname=value A test shell script as below:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u671296
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell help - Using parameter to create variable names

I'm using korn shell and I am wondering if it's possible to use a parameter passed into a function to build a variable name in a configuration file. I have the function in one source file, I'd like to have a global configuration file instead of hardcoding logins to each script. So I have a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrevello
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make dynamic variable names for use in while loop?

i=0 while do sizesfor0=`cat 16 | grep 'pickSize' -A 1 | grep '_sz' | cut -d'_' -f1` sizesfor0=${sizesfor0//id=\"lll/:} IFS=: array0=( $sizesfor0 ) echo ${array0} i=$(( $i + 1 )) done So, right now I have two variables in the while statement above sizesfor0 and array0 The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phpchick
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does a variable lose its value outside the loop in shell script?

hi, when we assign a variable inside a for loop or while loop in a shell script, does it loses its value after comming out of the loop. i am facing this issue. can anyone help me?? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies

9. Programming

FORTRAN: Loop over variable file names

Hi guys I'm a beginner in fortran. So excuse me for my naivety, let me briefly describe what I was trying to do. I have let's say 2 files named reac-1 and reac-2. After opening these files I've to do some calculations, close these files and open the same files again in a loop. So my faulty code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleheen
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script use two variable in for loop

I want to create a shell script to add a user and modify its comment field mentioned in a file. 1. File value:- username comment field value xyz123 xyztesting abc123 abctesting def123 deftesting 2. i am using below loop to create user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anil
2 Replies
SNAKE(6)							 BSD Games Manual							  SNAKE(6)

NAME
snake, snscore -- display chase game SYNOPSIS
snake [-w width] [-l length] [-t] snscore DESCRIPTION
snake is a display-based game which must be played on a CRT terminal. The object of the game is to make as much money as possible without getting eaten by the snake. The -l and -w options allow you to specify the length and width of the field. By default the entire screen is used. The -t option makes the game assume you are on a slow terminal. You are represented on the screen by an I. The snake is 6 squares long and is represented by s's with an S at its head. The money is $, and an exit is #. Your score is posted in the upper left hand corner. You can move around using the same conventions as vi(1), the h, j, k, and l keys work, as do the arrow keys. Other possibilities include: sefc These keys are like hjkl but form a directed pad around the d key. HJKL These keys move you all the way in the indicated direction to the same row or column as the money. This does not let you jump away from the snake, but rather saves you from having to type a key repeatedly. The snake still gets all his turns. SEFC Likewise for the upper case versions on the left. ATPB These keys move you to the four edges of the screen. Their position on the keyboard is the mnemonic, e.g. P is at the far right of the keyboard. x This lets you quit the game at any time. p Points in a direction you might want to go. w Space warp to get out of tight squeezes, at a price. To earn money, move to the same square the money is on. A new $ will appear when you earn the current one. As you get richer, the snake gets hungrier. To leave the game, move to the exit (#). A record is kept of the personal best score of each player. Scores are only counted if you leave at the exit, getting eaten by the snake is worth nothing. As in pinball, matching the last digit of your score to the number which appears after the game is worth a bonus. To see who wastes time playing snake, run snscore. FILES
/var/games/snakerawscores database of personal bests /var/games/snake.log log of games played BUGS
When playing on a small screen, it's hard to tell when you hit the edge of the screen. The scoring function takes into account the size of the screen. A perfect function to do this equitably has not been devised. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD