Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in perl program in printing all the entries Post 302651843 by pludi on Wednesday 6th of June 2012 08:59:10 AM
Old 06-06-2012
For readability, here's a formatted and numbered version:
Code:
  1 #!/usr/bin/perl
  2 $/ = "\n\n";
  3 open( DATA, 'mutationsonly.txt' );
  5 # or die("Could not open mutationsonly file.");
  6 open( MYOUTPUT, ">newmutations.txt" );
  8 # or die ("could not open newmutations file.");
  9 my @records = <DATA>;
 10 close(MYOUTPUT);
 11 close(DATA);
 12 foreach my $record (@records) {
 13     chomp;
 14     my $find = /^\*FIELD\*\sAV$/;
 15     if ( $record =~ m/ $find / ) {
 16         print "$record";
 17     }
 18 }

My guess is that in line 14 you're trying to assign a regular expression to a variable, and use that in the match below. To do that, you'd have to use the qr// construct, and it would be much more efficient to do that outside the loop, instead of each time again.

Other than that, you can probably do the same thing with a simple grep {}, eg
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
#$/ = "\n\n";
open( DATA, 'mutationsonly.txt' );

# or die("Could not open mutationsonly file.");
open( MYOUTPUT, ">newmutations.txt" );

# or die ("could not open newmutations file.");
my @records = <DATA>;
close(MYOUTPUT);
close(DATA);
print grep { /^\*FIELD\*\sAV$/ } @records;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl printing error

Hi Scripting Gurus, I am new bee in perl, and trying to write a script which must print the free disk space availability of C and E drives. Please advice. Here is the script snippet and expected output: #!/usr/bin/perl use CGI qw/:html3 :standard/; $spaceuselog =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccsaviour
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using mailx instead of mail in perl program

I have a perl program that uses the mail program to send emails. It works fine but because I want to change the return address on the emails to be different I need to use mailx with the "-r" option. the problem is when I change this line to use mailx I no longer recieve "any" emails. This works... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Printing - Scalars

Hey Guys, I have some weird problem with printing scalars ... When I'm executing script both are printing in terminal ... But only one is printed to the file ? I don't know whats going on .. :) Btw .. I'm noobie :) took me lots of time to put this simple script together :) Thank you... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NDxiak
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing between 2 matches with Perl

Can we please modify this perl one-liner to print lines between pattern1 and pattern2 in a file? Currently it prints lines till pattern2. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand_bh
4 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Calling compiled C program with Perl program

Long story short: I'm working inside of a Unix SSH under a bash shell. I have to code a C program that generates a random number. Then I have to call the compiled C program with a Perl program to run the C program 20 times and put all the generated random #s into a text file, then print that text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdkirby
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with perl database printing

Hey guys i am using perl and trying to pull a list of books from a database and then populate the list in a separate TT2 file. When the list is generated there should be 39 book names. When I do the foreach statement in my tt2 below, the first statement gives me 39 Array(random number) and the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Joey12
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in Perl Script for printing next line

I got multiple of documents in which i have to extract a line coming after a ID..The scenario is Customer ID: none VT : 002/89 Customer ID: Yes VT: 001/89 Customer ID: none VT: 006/85 Customer ID: Yes VT: 003/56 I have to extract the id which is coming after YES..The output... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkrishna89
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating Printing Program in bash

HI I am trying to create a bash script to print whatever i type in It has to have these below to define the size of the label and what size to print the text N q609 A100,10,0,5,2,2,N," " P1 It has to be sent to below > /dev/usblp0 So what it has to be is Written... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bganse
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of entries perl program or Unix script

Hi I have a file with number of entries name 1 123 name 1 345 name 1 65346 name2 3243 name2 24234 name 2 234234 so on ......... how to count total number of entries for name 1 and name2...and so on Please guide. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl program get a response before the program quits

I created a program, so a kid can practice there math on it. It dispenses varies math problems and the kid must input an answer. I also want it to grade the work they have done, but I can't find the best place for it to print out the grade. I have: if ( $response =~ m/^/ ) { $user_wants_to_quit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: germany1517
1 Replies
RAR_ENTRY_GET(3)							 1							  RAR_ENTRY_GET(3)

RarArchive::getEntry - Get entry object from the RAR archive

Object oriented style (method):

SYNOPSIS
public RarEntry RarArchive::getEntry (string $entryname) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style: RarEntry rar_entry_get (RarArchive $rarfile, string $entryname) Get entry object (file or directory) from the RAR archive. Note You can also get entry objects using RarArchive::getEntries. Note that a RAR archive can have multiple entries with the same name; this method will retrieve only the first. PARAMETERS
o $rarfile - A RarArchive object, opened with rar_open(3). o $entryname - Path to the entry within the RAR archive. Note The path must be the same returned by RarEntry::getName. RETURN VALUES
Returns the matching RarEntry object or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Object oriented style <?php $rar_arch = RarArchive::open('solid.rar'); if ($rar_arch === FALSE) die("Could not open RAR archive."); $rar_entry = $rar_arch->getEntry('tese.txt'); if ($rar_entry === FALSE) die("Could get such entry"); echo get_class($rar_entry)." "; echo $rar_entry; $rar_arch->close(); ?> The above example will output something similar to: RarEntry RarEntry for file "tese.txt" (23b93a7a) Example #2 Procedural style <?php $rar_arch = rar_open('solid.rar'); if ($rar_arch === FALSE) die("Could not open RAR archive."); $rar_entry = rar_entry_get($rar_arch, 'tese.txt'); if ($rar_entry === FALSE) die("Could get such entry"); echo get_class($rar_entry)." "; echo $rar_entry; rar_close($rar_arch); ?> SEE ALSO
RarArchive::getEntries, rar:// wrapper. PHP Documentation Group RAR_ENTRY_GET(3)