Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bi-Weekly script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bi-Weekly script Post 302651595 by RM1006 on Tuesday 5th of June 2012 09:28:41 PM
Old 06-05-2012
Bi-Weekly script

Hi,

I found the following biweekly script by searching google:

###############################################
why not schedule it weekly, cache the "date" of the last run to a
file, and then at the beginning of your shell script
compare the current date with the cached date and only approach to the
real code when they are two-week difference.
This logic should be very easy to implement in both cronjob and the
shell script.

Code:
#/bin/sh

BASEDIR=/path/to/cron/bin
CACHEFILE=$BASEDIR/lastrun.txt
TODAY=$(date +%F)
DAY14=$(date -d'-14 days' +%F)

if ! [ -s "$CACHEFILE" ]; then
date +%F > "$CACHEFILE"
else
LASTRUN=$(<"$CACHEFILE")
if [ "$DAY14" != "$LASTRUN" ]; then
echo "not scheduled"
exit
fi
echo "$TODAY" > "$CACHEFILE"
fi
 echo "program here"

####################################################
This line gives error when i use -x debug option, can someone please help me to fix this?
Quote:
+ date '-d-14 days' +%F
usage: date [-jnu] [-d dst] [-r seconds] [-t west] [-v[+|-]val[ymwdHMS]] ...
[-f fmt date | [[[[[cc]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.ss]] [+format]

Thanks
Sincerely,
RM

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weekly statistics using while loop.

Hi people i have a situation here: my server generates a statistics text file every 30 mins. i have a script (txt2csv.sh) to convert all the statistics for the day into one csv file. Therefore i am doing a script to auto converts the text files into csv base on a weekly basis. the script is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filthymonk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Scheduling bi-weekly through cron

Is there a way in AIX to schedule a script to run bi-weekly through cron? I have a script that needs to run every other Wednesday, and this is what I thought I had to enter in the crontab file: 00 08 * * 3/2 /home/user/user.script It didn't like that. It reports a syntax error. I'm almost... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LPT
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Weekly file Transfer script

I have made a script which transfers some files of the entire week , but the script fails when the next month is started. For e.g; if i run the script on 5th may , but i need to transfer files of its previous week which is from 24th April to 30th april ,the script fails, i have this loop in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a script to run weekly/monthly - check for weekday or day-of-the-month

Hi all, I currently have a UNIX file maintenance script that runs daily as a cron job. Now I want to change the script and create functions/sub inside it that runs on a weekly or monthly basis. To run all the scripts' daily maintenance, I want to schedule it in cron as simply maint.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab running bi-weekly

Hi experts, Need your help to schedule the script(test.sh) bi-weekly in linux machine. script need to run at every alernate thursday at 9 am . Please help to run the same. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhigrkist
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Schedule and Run By weekly shell script in cronjob

Hi All, How to schedule a shell script(script name- byweeklyreport.sh) it should run by weekly in corn job or is there any script have to write to check week and then run the above script. example-1st run March 06 2013 2nd run March 20 2013 3rd run April 3 2013... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
13 Replies
SHUNIT2(1)																SHUNIT2(1)

NAME
shunit2 - A unit test framework for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
shunit2 unitfile DESCRIPTION
shUnit2 is a xUnit unit test framework for Bourne based shell scripts, and it is designed to work in a similar manner to JUnit, PyUnit, etc.. If you have ever had the desire to write a unit test for a shell script, shUnit2 can do the job. You can either run shunit2 directly from the commandline and specify the unit file or directly source the shunit2 executable. If you directly execute shunit2 and don't specify a unitfile shunit2 assumes a empty testfile and will return without an error message. EXAMPLE
Simple script to test if 1 equals 1 #! /bin/sh testEquality() { assertEquals 1 1 } # load shunit2 . shunit2 Execute shUnit2 unit tests directly from the commandline shunit2 /path/to/unit/file OPTIONS
shunit2 does not support any commandline options at all. You can either source shunit2 to execute your unit tests or directly run shunit2 as a commandline script. SEE ALSO
For more information see http://code.google.com/p/shunit2/ or have a look at the installed documentation in /usr/share/doc/shunit2/ AUTHOR
shunit2 was written by Kate Ward <kate.ward@forestent.com>. This manpage was written by Ulrich Dangel <mru@spamt.net>. 2.1.6 03/25/2012 SHUNIT2(1)