Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Syntax error at line 24: `(' unexpected Post 302651407 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 5th of June 2012 12:30:47 PM
Old 06-05-2012
$(...) works in any POSIX shell, but not in classic Bourne shell..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sh: syntax error at line 1: `>' unexpected

I compiled C program under SUN OS sparcv9 ...I had a problem related to SIGBUS which has been resolved by adding an option to the CC compiler which is memory alignement option ..-memalign=1i as I remmber ...after running the program I got the below error please let me KNow more details what should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

syntax error at line 33: `elif` unexpected

#!/bin/sh echo "Choose option: e, d, l, t, p, or x." read option if test $option = e then echo "Filename?" read file if test ! -f $file then echo "No such file" else echo "Yes its a file" fi ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazy
4 Replies

3. Solaris

syntax error at line 59: `end of file' unexpected

Hello... I'm trying to run the sshd script, but I keep geting the Syntax errot message . Here's the last few lines on the script. set nu in vi shows 58 lines, but I keep getting error referring to line 59. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Remi else echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Remi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

interface_file_ff.sh[99]: syntax error at line 1 : `)' unexpected

Hi, I tried to execute the following code but it showed the output mobile number : 35353425 corr plan id : 13-may-2008 corr target : 551 active_dt : 23414 no ident : IDD action name: A To get the subscriber number for the given mobile number and check if it is active and not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geekforu
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Hi All I've used UNIX in the past experimenting with commands through terminal but thats about it. Im now currently teaching myself "C". Using a book from the library, the first chapter asks you run and compile your program from a command-line prompt. As you will see the program is very simple,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: camzio
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error at line 28: `(' unexpected

hi can anyone pls look into this....shell script... Pls find the error below: > sh -n tmp tmp: syntax error at line 28: `(' unexpected isql -Usa -S$1 -P`grep $1 dbpassword|cut -d ":" -f3` -w2000 -b<<! set nocount on declare @i int declare @dbname char(6) declare @tmp int if... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekar.y
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

syntax error at line 8: `(' unexpected

Hi I am having a shell script load_data.sh which calls /home/users/project/.profile. When am executing the script, am getting below error: $sh -x bin/load_data.sh null + . /home/users/project/.profile bin/load_data.sh: syntax error at line 8: `(' unexpected The line which is throwing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brijesh.dixit
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

line 15: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Hi all, I am very new to programming and even newer to this forum as well, so I apologize if this should have been in the Newbie category, but... I am currently trying to figure out Shell Scripting and am running into problems early. Not having taken any kind of programming class, I am not even... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccorder22
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error at line 14: `gw_user=' unexpected

Masters, i iam writing a script (dont have much experience in the process of learning) which handles file copy to multiple servers and users for deployment purpose. Below is the snippet. When ever i run i get syntax error but it works fine on another machine. Please help me out. if then... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameyrk
10 Replies

10. Programming

Sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `(' how to resolve this

Below query is not working for me. Please help me on this DATA EXCLUDE STATEMENT: TABLE:\"LIKE \'%\_HISTORY\'\", TABLE:\"LIKE \'%\_HIST\'\", TABLE:\"in \(select tname from tab where REGEXP_LIKE(TNAME,\'\_H$\'\))\", TABLE:\"LIKE \'%\_LOG\'\", TABLE:\"LIKE \'DW\_%\'\", TABLE:\"LIKE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princy
1 Replies
nohup(1)						      General Commands Manual							  nohup(1)

NAME
nohup - run a command immune to hangups SYNOPSIS
command [arguments] DESCRIPTION
executes command with hangups and quits ignored. If output is not redirected by the user, both standard output and standard error are sent to If is not writable in the current directory, output is redirected to otherwise, fails. If a file is created, the file's permission bits will be set to If output from is redirected to a terminal, or is not redirected at all, the output is sent to EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
It is frequently desirable to apply to pipelines or lists of commands. This can be done only by placing pipelines and command lists in a single file, called a shell script. To run the script using features apply to the entire contents of file. If the shell script file is to be executed often, the need to type can be eliminated by setting execute permission on file. The script can also be run in the background with interrupts ignored (see sh(1)): file typically contains normal keyboard command sequences that one would want to continue running in case the terminal disconnects, such as: WARNINGS
Be careful to place punctuation properly. For example, in the command form: applies only to command1. To correct the problem, use the command form: Be careful of where standard error is redirected. The following command may put error messages on tape, making it unreadable: whereas puts the error messages into file EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The command specified by command was found but could not be invoked An error occurred in the nohup utility or the specified command could not be found Otherwise, the exit status of nohup will be that of the command specified. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), nice(1), sh(1), signal(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
nohup(1)