Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Print Positional variables
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Print Positional variables Post 302650943 by Corona688 on Monday 4th of June 2012 02:06:50 PM
Old 06-04-2012
This should print the the position of everything as well as its contents.

Code:
awk -v RS="" '{ for (N=1; N<=NF; N++) print N, $N ; printf("\n"); }' filename

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cannot print 3 variables on same line

Hi, I have a file containing emails about some issues. Using a bourne shell script, I need to extract the issue number from the URL's contained in the file (all URL's look like this : http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=1881) and then print out the issue number, status and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chris Jones
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I print variables im using in makefiles?

for example in my make file im building path from env variables and string but need to see what is did what is the best way to print the result? say I have in my Makefile : exec_prefix = $(RUN_ENV_LOCAL)/apache and I will like to print the exec_prefix value , how can it be done ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: replace single positional character given variables

I already have accomplished this task using sed and arrays, but since I get the variable using awk, I figured I'd ask this question and maybe I can get a cleaner solution using strictly awk.. I just can't quite grasp it in awk. Story: I'm automating the (re)configuration of network interfaces,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Shock
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Loop And Print 2 Variables

I have the following loop: for I in `ldm ls |grep -v ^NAME| awk '{print $1}'` do ldm ls -o network $I | echo $I | tr -s ' ' | cut -f6 -d " " | more +9 I would like the following displayed to a file: The value of $I, followed by a newline, then the information from the rest of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hxman
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with positional variables in BASH

Hello, my problem is simple & I searched a lot but I couldn't find anything about it: Basically I'd like to pass $i to a variable, $i being the positional variable; but it is unknown in the beginning so I can't do it like eg. myvar=$3, it HAS to be the "i".. First, I tried myvar=$($i) ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmyyyyy
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print variables using awk

Can anyone help me with how to print the variable using a awk statement. for i in ` cat serverlist.txt ` ; do my command | awk '{print $1 $2 $i}' done It should print like below but it is not XXXXX YYYYY Servername XXXXX YYYYY Servername XXXXX YYYYY Servername XXXXX YYYYY... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrb2009
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PRINT TWO VARIABLES IN ONE LINE

my command nawk -F' ' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if ($i ~ /XX/) print i}}' TOM.bk The output is in two lines as below 12 30 i want the output in one line with comma delimited as below 12,30 the 23 and 79 are column numbers in one line of the file. so i want all the two columns... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dealerso
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print whole line if variables matches

Der colleagues, 4 days I am trying to solve my issue and no success.. Maybe you can give me a clue how to achieve what I need.. So I have two files. file1 example: 1_column1.1 1_column2.1 aaa 1_column4.1 1_column1.2 1_column2.2 ttt 1_column4.2 1_column1.3 1_column2.3 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two variables and print the difference

Hi PRIM_SEQ=`some sql code` and output of PRIM_SEQ is like below 120 130 STB_SEQ=`some sql code` and output of STB_SEQ is like below 115 110 i need to compare this two variables output ( decimal numbers) 1) What I want to do is to compare every number in the PRIM_SEQ with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amar1208
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Positional Parameters Arguments/Variables when using dot (.)

Hi, Is there a special positional variables for when using the dot (.)? Scripts are as below: $: head -100 x.ksh /tmp/y.ksh ==> x.ksh <== #!/bin/ksh # . /tmp/y.ksh 1234 abcd echo "yvar1 = $yvar1" echo "yvar2 = $yvar2" ==> /tmp/y.ksh <== #!/bin/ksh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
IPC::SysV(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					    IPC::SysV(3pm)

NAME
IPC::SysV - System V IPC constants and system calls SYNOPSIS
use IPC::SysV qw(IPC_STAT IPC_PRIVATE); DESCRIPTION
"IPC::SysV" defines and conditionally exports all the constants defined in your system include files which are needed by the SysV IPC calls. Common ones include IPC_CREATE IPC_EXCL IPC_NOWAIT IPC_PRIVATE IPC_RMID IPC_SET IPC_STAT GETVAL SETVAL GETPID GETNCNT GETZCNT GETALL SETALL SEM_A SEM_R SEM_UNDO SHM_RDONLY SHM_RND SHMLBA and auxiliary ones S_IRUSR S_IWUSR S_IRWXU S_IRGRP S_IWGRP S_IRWXG S_IROTH S_IWOTH S_IRWXO but your system might have more. ftok( PATH ) ftok( PATH, ID ) Return a key based on PATH and ID, which can be used as a key for "msgget", "semget" and "shmget". See ftok. If ID is omitted, it defaults to 1. If a single character is given for ID, the numeric value of that character is used. shmat( ID, ADDR, FLAG ) Attach the shared memory segment identified by ID to the address space of the calling process. See shmat. ADDR should be "undef" unless you really know what you're doing. shmdt( ADDR ) Detach the shared memory segment located at the address specified by ADDR from the address space of the calling process. See shmdt. memread( ADDR, VAR, POS, SIZE ) Reads SIZE bytes from a memory segment at ADDR starting at position POS. VAR must be a variable that will hold the data read. Returns true if successful, or false if there is an error. memread() taints the variable. memwrite( ADDR, STRING, POS, SIZE ) Writes SIZE bytes from STRING to a memory segment at ADDR starting at position POS. If STRING is too long, only SIZE bytes are used; if STRING is too short, nulls are written to fill out SIZE bytes. Returns true if successful, or false if there is an error. SEE ALSO
IPC::Msg, IPC::Semaphore, IPC::SharedMem, ftok, shmat, shmdt AUTHORS
Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com>, Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi>, Marcus Holland-Moritz <mhx@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Version 2.x, Copyright (C) 2007-2010, Marcus Holland-Moritz. Version 1.x, Copyright (c) 1997, Graham Barr. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 IPC::SysV(3pm)