Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help installing GLIBC on SuSe 11. Post 302650523 by bakunin on Sunday 3rd of June 2012 01:23:19 PM
Old 06-03-2012
I have no SuSe to give you an exact recipe, but i can point you in the general direction:

A Linux distribution is a collection of "packages" - sets of files, which are somehow connected to each other - and some means to install them or remove them from the system.

For instance, such a package could be a "web browser": it would contain all the binaries needed to run the web browser, some libraries, probably some configuration files, etc.. It also will contain some scripts to integrate the browser in the desktop (i.e. by creating icons on your desktop or something such) and some "metadata": information about the version, a description, a list of files it contains, and so on. With this metadata, it is possible to not only install the package but also to remove it completely, bringing the system to the state it was in before the installation.

Every Linux distribution has such a package manager: RedHat and several others have "rpm" (RedHat Package Manager), Debian and some others use "apt-get", SuSe uses either "YaST" or the commandline tool "zypper".

The procedure is simple: first you get the information to which package to the glibc belongs to. I can't tell you how this is done with zypper, but have a look in the man page (enter man zypper on the command line) and i am sure you will find that.

When you got the name of the package you look for you simply search for it on the web. Enter "SuSe <name-of-package> download" into your favorite search engine and you will surely find lots of pages.

After downloading it you use again zypper to update the package with the new version you just downloaded - that was it.

...or maybe not: there could be "dependencies" to update: Maybe a packages content can only work if some other software from another package is already installed. Or maybe a certain version of one package needs the content of another package to be at least on a certain version or newer. All this is part of the metadata i wrote above. The package manager will tell you if such dependencies exist. You can't break the system by following what the package manager tells you - so stay away from any "force" option! They are for very rare opportunities and to be used by people who know exactly what they do.

If the package manager tells you that you need to install/update other packages too you simply repeat the above process for these.

Good luck and i hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Updating glibc on a SuSE OpenExchange box

Does anyone here have familiarity with the SuSE OpenExchange Server OS? I am wanting to update glibc-2.2.5-179 to glibc-2.3.2-6.i586.rpm so that I use a packages called metamail-2.7.19-783.i586.rpm, which also needs sharutils-4.2c-492.i586.rpm installed. Basically am I asking for trouble... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cw1972
0 Replies

2. SuSE

Having a prob. installing SUSE Linux on a laptop

Hi Everyone Im just wondering if anyone knows why when you install SUSE Linux 8.0 on a NEC Versa Laptop that KDE does not fill the entire window. There is a peripheral setup that I played with both the display settings and changing the display adapter, but nothing seems to fix the problem.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spiral
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to boot with XP after installing SUSE

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post. I had following setup before installing SUSE Linux: Windows 98 installed on Primary partition Windows XP installed on Extended Partition When I installed SUSE, it shared space from primary partition and shrunk the size of Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patras
4 Replies

4. Linux

Installing Firefox and now ended up installing latest glibc

Hi all, I wanted to install the latest version of firefox 2 but it seems when I attempt to install it, it seems to be saying it is looking for c libraries version 2.3? I believe I currently have an older version of the c libraries. I am currently running Sun's JDS Linux 2003. My Mozilla web... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
1 Replies

5. SuSE

Error installing SuSe 11

When I installed version 11, I get the following error message when trying to boot from the disk. GRUB loading stage2. Read error And then the system hangs. The system is a well used P4 that had XP pro on it. Is this a compatibility/hardware issue, or just a bad spot on the disk. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgt
1 Replies

6. SuSE

Installing SW asking me to update GLIBC..HELP!

Hi, I am trying to install OpenFT and got the following message: usmlva0001tsrv:/mnt/iso/linuxi64 # ./install.all error: Failed dependencies: libc.so.6.1()(64bit) is needed by PCMX-6.0A90-05.ia64 libc.so.6.1(GLIBC_2.2)(64bit) is needed by PCMX-6.0A90-05.ia64... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error while installing glibc 2.16.0 on ubuntu 12.04 LTS

I come across the following error while configuring glibc 2.16.0 on ubuntu 12.04 LTS:"These critical programs are missing or too old: ld". Please suggest me a solution for the same at the earliest. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nov_2012
1 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Install glibc-debug for glibc-2.11.3-17.31.1 on SLES 11

I have to debug a function getopt_long in glibc-2.11.3-17.31.1. For that how can I download and install its corresponding glibc-debug on SLES 11? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
8 Replies
SbXfBox3d(3)							       Coin							      SbXfBox3d(3)

NAME
SbXfBox3d - The SbXfBox3d class is a 3 dimensional box with double precision coordinates and an attached transformation. It provides storage for two box corners with double precision floating point coordinates, and for a double precision 4x4 transformation matrix. SYNOPSIS
#include <Inventor/SbBox.h> Inherits SbBox3d. Public Member Functions SbXfBox3d (void) SbXfBox3d (const SbVec3d &boxmin, const SbVec3d &boxmax) SbXfBox3d (const SbBox3d &box) void setTransform (const SbDPMatrix &matrix) const SbDPMatrix & getTransform (void) const const SbDPMatrix & getInverse (void) const SbVec3d getCenter (void) const void extendBy (const SbVec3d &pt) void extendBy (const SbBox3d &bb) void extendBy (const SbXfBox3d &bb) SbBool intersect (const SbVec3d &pt) const SbBool intersect (const SbBox3d &bb) const SbBool intersect (const SbXfBox3d &bb) const SbBox3d project (void) const void getSpan (const SbVec3d &direction, double &dMin, double &dMax) const void transform (const SbDPMatrix &matrix) double getVolume (void) const Additional Inherited Members Detailed Description The SbXfBox3d class is a 3 dimensional box with double precision coordinates and an attached transformation. It provides storage for two box corners with double precision floating point coordinates, and for a double precision 4x4 transformation matrix. See also: SbBox3d, SbDPMatrix, SbXfBox3f Constructor &; Destructor Documentation SbXfBox3d::SbXfBox3d (void) The default constructor makes an empty box and identity matrix. SbXfBox3d::SbXfBox3d (const SbVec3d &boxmin, const SbVec3d &boxmax) Constructs a box with the given corners. The coordinates of min should be less than the coordinates of max if you want to make a valid box. SbXfBox3d::SbXfBox3d (const SbBox3d &box) Constructs a box from the given SbBox3d. The transformation is set to the identity matrix. Member Function Documentation void SbXfBox3d::setTransform (const SbDPMatrix &m) Sets the transformation to the given SbMatrix. const SbDPMatrix & SbXfBox3d::getTransform (void) const [inline] Returns the current transformation matrix. const SbDPMatrix & SbXfBox3d::getInverse (void) const Returns the inverse of the current transformation matrix. SbVec3d SbXfBox3d::getCenter (void) const Return the transformed center point of the box. Reimplemented from SbBox3d. void SbXfBox3d::extendBy (const SbVec3d &pt) Extend the boundaries of the box by the given point, i.e. make the point fit inside the box if it isn't already so. The point is assumed to be in transformed space. Reimplemented from SbBox3d. void SbXfBox3d::extendBy (const SbBox3d &bb) Extend the boundaries of the box by the given bb parameter. The given box is assumed to be in transformed space. The two given boxes will be combined in such a way so that the resultant bounding box always has the smallest possible volume. To accomplish this, the transformation on this SbXfBox3f will sometimes be flattened before it's combined with bb. Reimplemented from SbBox3d. void SbXfBox3d::extendBy (const SbXfBox3d &bb) Extend the boundaries of the box by the given bb parameter. The given box is assumed to be in transformed space. Note: is not guaranteed to give an optimal result if used for bbox calculation since the transformation matrix might change. See documentation in SoGetBoundingBoxAction for more details. SbBool SbXfBox3d::intersect (const SbVec3d &pt) const Check if the given point lies within the boundaries of this box. The point is assumed to be in transformed space. Reimplemented from SbBox3d. SbBool SbXfBox3d::intersect (const SbBox3d &bb) const Check if the given box lies wholly or partly within the boundaries of this box. The given box is assumed to be in transformed space. Reimplemented from SbBox3d. SbBool SbXfBox3d::intersect (const SbXfBox3d &xfbb) const Check if two transformed boxes intersect. This function is an extension for Coin, and it is not available in the original SGI Open Inventor v2.1 API. Since: Coin 2.0 SbBox3d SbXfBox3d::project (void) const Project the SbXfBox3d into a SbBox3d. This gives the same resulting SbBox3d as doing a SbBox3d::transform() with this transformation matrix as parameter. void SbXfBox3d::getSpan (const SbVec3d &direction, double &dMin, double &dMax) const Find the span of the box in the given direction (i.e. how much room in the given direction the box needs). The distance is returned as the minimum and maximum distance from origo to the closest and furthest plane defined by the direction vector and each of the box' corners. The difference between these values gives the span. Reimplemented from SbBox3d. void SbXfBox3d::transform (const SbDPMatrix &m) Overridden from SbBox3d, as the transformations are to be kept separate from the box in the SbXfBox3d class. Reimplemented from SbBox3d. double SbXfBox3d::getVolume (void) const Return box volume. Overridden from parent class to take into account the possibility of scaling in the transformation matrix. Reimplemented from SbBox3d. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for Coin from the source code. Version 3.1.3 Wed May 23 2012 SbXfBox3d(3)