Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk with exit status if pattern not found Post 302650235 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 2nd of June 2012 01:49:29 AM
Old 06-02-2012
You can also use the return code of grep directly:
Code:
if grep -l "pattern" /path/to/inputfile.txt
then

To suppress output of grep:
Code:
if grep -q "pattern" ...

or
Code:
if grep "pattern" ... > /dev/null 2>&1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status

i downloaded a text file from metalab.unc.edu called sh.txt and in this reference manual it refers to shell scripting exit status .. at the end of one of the examples that author gave an exit status of 127.. to what does a 127 exit status refer too and what is its purpose in the code. moxxx68 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to check exit status in awk script

Hi, I have a main program which have below lines - awk -f test.awk inputFileName - I wonder how to check status return from awk script. content of awk script: test.awk --- if ( pass validation ) { exit 1 } else { (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: epall
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern not found : AWK , help

Hi All, My file : $ cat my.txt AA:22:note:AA BB:AA:help:XX CC:14:AA:CC ZZ:AA:hello:AA A) <searching "AA" as 2nd field in all lines of my.txt > $ awk -F ":" '{ if ($2 ~ /AA/) print "found in line - " NR; else print "Not found"}' my.txt Not found found in line - 2 Not found found... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkl_jkl
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit status

I'm preparing for exam and one of exams is to write own test command... I wonder if in unix is a command which just returns exit code you specify.. I know I can easily write a function like this: exStatus() { return $1 } -> my question is rather theoretical thank you! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining

I am trying to do some thing like this .. In a file , if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining of the line containing the pattern. example: in a file I have this. gtrow0unit1/gctunit_crrownorth_stage5_outnet_feedthru_pin if i find feedthru_pin want to insert !! at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print exit status in AWK

Hi all, How can I print the exit status in AWK? echo $? doesnt work for me Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauline mugisha
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit Status

I have a shell script (#!/bin/sh) that interacts with Appworx and Banner Admin. In my script I want to check the exit status of awrun before continuing. awrun can run for 10 seconds or it can run for over a minute. So my question is, will it go through my if statement before awrun may even be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smkremer
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print all lines after a pattern is found

Is there a way with aw to print all lines after a string is found There is a file like this ....... ........ 2012/19/11 :11.58 PM some data lne no date 2012/19/11 :11.59 PM some other data 2012/20/11 :12.00 AM some other data some line without dates some more lines without dates... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If first pattern is found, look for second pattern. If second pattern not found, delete line

I had a spot of trouble coming up with a title, hopefully you'll understand once you read my problem... :) I have the output of an ldapsearch that looks like this: dn: cn=sam,ou=company,o=com uidNumber: 7174 gidNumber: 49563 homeDirectory: /home/sam loginshell: /bin/bash uid: sam... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samgoober
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed/awk join lines once pattern found

Hi all OS - RHEL6.4 I have input file -f1.txt I need to search line which starts with \Start and read next line till it gets blank line and join them all. I need to trim any trailing spaces for each line.So output.txt should be.. \Start\now\fine stepwatch this space for toolsends... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
7 Replies