Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with deleting some parts from text file Post 302650109 by newboy on Friday 1st of June 2012 01:35:54 PM
Old 06-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Try:
Code:
sed '/HOME.*(/,/^)/d' infile

Hi, Thanks a lot, it worked Smilie
can u please explain in short, what regexp {HOME.*(/,/^)} is matching to ?
Just curious. Thanks again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting text from a file

Hi, In my korn shell script, I want to delete some particular text from a certain file...How can this be done? Is the below right? ed $NAMES << EOF echo "" > /dev/null echo "${x} = " > /dev/null echo "name = " > /dev/null echo "adress = " > /dev/null w q EOF (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: n8575
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting text block in file

Need to delete a text block inside a file, that is marked with a start and an end pattern. Eg do not delete not delete <tag1> delete everything here here and here and here... <tag2> do not delete do not delete.... Believe sed is able to do this job but don't get it working. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andre123
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lines in text file

Hi everyone, I have text files that I want to delete lines from. I have searched through this forum for quite some time and found examples of both awk and sed. Unfortunately, I was not able to successfully do what I want. Well to some extent. I did manage to delete the first 15 lines from each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting certain parts of a line in perl

I have a filr data.txt. Its contents are Available labels (* indicates activated, I indicates installed, R idicates running): abc-3.0.3 def-3.0.4 xyz-3.1.2-1.0 I want to delete " Available labels (* indicates activated, I indicates installed, R idicates running):" and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i break a text file into parts that occur between a specific pattern

How can i break a text file into parts that occur between a specific pattern? I have text file having various xml many tags like which starts with the tag "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>" . I have to break the whole file into several xmls by looking for the above pattern. All the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav192
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting all instances of a certain character from a text file

In my command prompt I did: sed 's/\://' mytextfile > newtextfile But it only deleted the first instance of : in each line when some lines have multiple : appearing in each one. How can I delete all the : from the entire file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with deleting characters from text file

I have a text file that looks like this: I want to delete the last character of first column in all rows so that my output looks like this: Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting specific rows from a text file

How do I go about deleting specific rows from a text file (given row number)? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Block of Text from a File

Hi I am looking for the way to delete the block of data for example original file line1 line2 line3 line4 line5 input file line2 line3 original file should contain line1 line4 line5 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove answers and explanation parts from a text file with lots of questions.?

Hi, I have a text file with thousands of questions in it. Each question (multiple lines) with multiple choice options, Answer and Explanation (optional). I need to delete Answer & explanation parts for all Questions and insert a blank line before net question. Each question starts with NO. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)