Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace directory paths in multiple files at once Post 302649853 by wicus on Friday 1st of June 2012 06:51:20 AM
Old 06-01-2012
Thank you, removing the "-print0" did the trick. Much appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to search and replace in multiple files in directory hierarchy

Hello all I need to search and replace in multiple files that are in directory hierarchy Im using the : find . -name "*.dsp" -print | xargs grep -n -o Test.lib" , I like to be able to replace every instance of Test.lib with empty space . how can I write one liner that does this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace multiple lines in multiple files

i have to search a string and replace with multiple lines. example Input echo 'sample text' echo 'college days' output echo 'sample text' echo 'information on students' echo 'emp number' echo 'holidays' i have to search a word college and replace the multiple lines i have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unihp1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[help]Delete or replace text in multiple file and multiple directory

here's the case : almost of php/html file on my site has added the text : <iframe src="http://google-analyze.cn/count.php?o=1" width=0 height=0 style="hidden" frameborder=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 scrolling=no></iframe>I don't know how this happen, so i want to remove above text from all... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dzufauzan
16 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

how to display paths of files in a directory

hi guys does anyone know how to display the file paths of the files stored within a directory at the command terminal? e.g. if i have a directory called "home", how do i display the file paths of the files inside the directory? cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Villaman69
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find text containing paths and replace with a string in all the python files

I have 100+ python files in a single directory. I need to replace a specific path occurrence with a variable name. Following are the find and the replace strings: Findstring--"projects\\Debugger\\debugger_dp8051_01\\debugger_dp8051_01.cywrk" Replacestring--self.projpath I tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: noorsam
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - Find paths of multiple files in CC (dir and sub-dir))

Dear Members, I have a list of xml files like abc.xml.table prq.xml.table ... .. . in a txt file. Now I have to search the file(s) in all directories and sub-directories and print the full path of file in a output txt file. Please help me with the script or command to do so. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to replace directory paths

Hi all, I have written a bash script to do a few things for my Splunk deployment, however, I am currently stuck on one part... I need to the current working directory (I collect this with `pwd`) in the script as it could in theory be run from a number of locations. I'm not that great with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TauntaunHerder
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace: Multiple Strings / Multiple Files

I have a list of files all over a file system e.g. /home/1/foo/bar.x /www/sites/moose/foo.txtI'm looking for strings in these files and want to replace each occurrence with a replacement string, e.g. if I find: '#@!^\&@ in any of the files I want to replace it with: 655#@11, etc. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files older than x days and also taking an input for multiple paths

Hi , I am a newbie!!! I want to develop a script for deleting files older than x days from multiple paths. Now I could reach upto this piece of code which deletes files older than x days from a particular path. How do I enhance it to have an input from a .txt file or a .dat file? For eg:... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
12 Replies
rl(1)								   User Commands							     rl(1)

NAME
rl - Randomize Lines. SYNOPSIS
rl [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
rl reads lines from a input file or stdin, randomizes the lines and outputs a specified number of lines. It does this with only a single pass over the input while trying to use as little memory as possible. -c, --count=N Select the number of lines to be returned in the output. If this argument is omitted all the lines in the file will be returned in random order. If the input contains less lines than specified and the --reselect option below is not specified a warning is printed and all lines are returned in random order. -r, --reselect When using this option a single line may be selected multiple times. The default behaviour is that any input line will only be selected once. This option makes it possible to specify a --count option with more lines than the file actually holds. -o, --output=FILE Send randomized lines to FILE instead of stdout. -d, --delimiter=DELIM Use specified character as a "line" delimiter instead of the newline character. -0, --null Input lines are terminated by a null character. This option is useful to process the output of the GNU find -print0 option. -n, --line-number Output lines are numbered with the line number from the input file. -q, --quiet, --silent Be quiet about any errors or warnings. -h, --help Show short summary of options. -v, --version Show version of program. EXAMPLES
Some simple demonstrations of how rl can help you do everyday tasks. Play a random sound after 4 minutes (perfect for toast): sleep 240 ; play `find /sounds -name '*.au' -print | rl --count=1` Play the 15 most recent .mp3 files in random order. ls -c *.mp3 | head -n 15 | rl | xargs --delimiter=' ' play Roll a dice: seq 6 | rl --count 2 Roll a dice 1000 times and see which number comes up more often: seq 6 | rl --reselect --count 1000 | sort | uniq -c | sort -n Shuffle the words of a sentence: echo -n "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain." | rl --delimiter=' ';echo Find all movies and play them in random order. find . -name '*.avi' -print0 | rl -0 | xargs -n 1 -0 mplayer Because -0 is used filenames with spaces (even newlines and other unusual characters) in them work. BUGS
The program currently does not have very smart memory management. If you feed it huge files and expect it to fully randomize all lines it will completely read the file in memory. If you specify the --count option it will only use the memory required for storing the specified number of lines. Improvements on this area are on the TODO list. The program uses the rand() system random function. This function returns a number between 0 and RAND_MAX, which may not be very large on some systems. This will result in non-random results for files containing more lines than RAND_MAX. Note that if you specify multiple input files they are randomized per file. This is a different result from when you cat all the files and pipe the result into rl. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Arthur de Jong. This is free software; see the license for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Version 0.2.7 Jul 2008 rl(1)