Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Threshold for open connections Post 302649533 by jimbob01 on Thursday 31st of May 2012 02:24:25 PM
Old 05-31-2012
bakunin - thanks for your reply. Once the issue happens again, I'll post the output of vmstat. It's a peculiar problem in that it could happen today and then not happen again for a day, a week or a month, there's no pattern in it.

cero - thanks for your reply. When the problem arises again, I'll check the open connections.

Thanks guys, your advice and help is appreciated.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Unable to open remote connections

Hello everybody, This is an unusual problem that I am facing on my Solaris 9 on Sun Blade 150 workstation. I can ping remote machines (outside subnet) but I can't open up a connection/port on those machines. For example, `ping ftp.xyz.com` gives ftp.xyz.com is alive but if I do a `ftp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: red_crab
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Help! Performance Threshold for Solaris 8,9,10

hi, I am trying to determine a 'rule of thumb' threshold for memory usage on different Solaris versions. I know that prior to Solaris 8, "page scan rate > 300" can be used as a general rule of thumb to determine any memory shortages. Since Solaris 9 and 10 have a different memory handling... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwclu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

apache threshold

Hi folks, how can i check apache threshold values via shell scripting and what factors need to check via shell scripting process or number of users or what. pls do advice me. Thanks, Bash (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to lessen the threshold of diskusgae %

Hi experts, I found- $ tail -f /var/adm/messages .... .... Jan 17 05:16:31 server01b last message repeated 6 times Jan 17 05:17:05 server01c ufs: NOTICE: alloc: /var/fileserver:file system full but I checked with df -k and found /var/fileserver is only 49% is used. It means... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Quota threshold

Hi, I am trying to make a script in which the user is notified once the disk space of the environment increases a particular threshold. I have made a script for it but I am facing an error while executing it. Could any one here guide me further?? Script #!/bin/sh warninglimit=350000... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Taranjeet Singh
22 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Load Average threshold

What should be the threshold for load average of a quad core processor? What constitutes "good" and "bad" load average values? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

threshold

Hi, I have a table with 14 columns. How can I filter the columns 2-14, so that I get only those rows back in which the data values are >= 6 in 5 or more columns. :confused: E.g. A 6 6 3 6 7 8 B 1 2 3 4 5 5 C 2 2 2 6 7 8 Here I should only get back the row A. I would like to work from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Rootvol above threshold

Hi there, Root filesystem is above threshold, I have search and cleared unwanted files which are filling up space. But the root fs is still above threshold. I don't know about veritas volume management. Can anyone show me how to solve this. Du shows /proc is occupying a lot of space. Most of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar63
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How the free memory threshold?

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking for an explanation of Solaris memory manager. You'd better ask Oracle that question because you are talking about Solaris kernel internals. The operating system kernel has no reason to kick a process's memory set out of real memory until... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
4 Replies
ACCOUNTING(1)                                                         SMPPPD                                                         ACCOUNTING(1)

NAME
accounting - calculates statistics about your internet connections DESCRIPTION
accounting is a simple program to calculate statistics about your internet dial-up connections that are started and stopped by either ifup and ifdown or by a frontend to smpppd like cinternet , qinternet or kinternet. OPTIONS
These options are recognized by accounting. If a long option shows an argument as mandatory, then it is mandatory for the equivalent short option also. -l, --last=NUM Only consider the last NUM connections. -a, --after=DATE Only consider connections started after DATE. DATE is a date with optional time in ISO 8601 format, e.g. `2002-12-24 20:15:00'. Note that a date without time is treated as if the time is 00:00:00. Hence connections started on the specified date are consid- ered. -b, --before=DATE Only consider connections started before DATE. -u, --user=USER Only consider connections started by user USER. --this-year Only consider connections started this year. --last-year Only consider connections started last year. --this-month Only consider connections started this month. --last-month Only consider connections started last month. --this-week Only consider connections started this week. --last-week Only consider connections started last week. --today Only consider connections started today. --yesterday Only consider connections started yesterday. --per-year Show summaries on a per year basis. --per-month Show summaries on a per month basis. --per-week Show summaries on a per week basis. --per-day Show summaries on a per day basis. -c, --connections Only list the connections but do not show provider statistics. -p, --providers Do not list the connections only show the provider statistics. --connection-format=FORMAT The names of the columns to print in the connection list. The names must be separated by a comma. Known column names are time, type, provider, user, status, duration, rx, tx, rxtx, averx, avetx and averxtx. Each name may be appended by a colon and a number indicating the width for the column, e.g. provider:25. The value will not be truncated if the width is too small. --provider-format=FORMAT The names of the columns to print in the provider list equivalent to the --connection-format option. Known column names are provider, number, duration, rx, tx, rxtx, aveduration, averx, avetx and averxtx. --local Display all dates in local time. Also interpret dates on the command line in local time. This is the default. --utc Display all dates in UTC. Also interpret dates on the command line in UTC. --script[=STYLE] Format output for script. Known styles are c and sh. -f, --file=NAME Use a different file with accounting information. --report-errors Report erros in the accounting file. --version Show program version and exit. --help Show help information and exit. NOTES
All informations are only obtained through the accounting log. Hence the informations, esp. the data volume, of currently active connec- tions is not accurate. If you want the know the status of a connection, use ifstatus or a frontend to smpppd like cinternet , qinternet or kinternet instead. The user field is empty for connections started by a remote frontend of smpppd. BUGS
Not yet implemented for ISDN (ippp). FILES
/var/log/smpppd/accounting.log File containing accounting information. SEE ALSO
kinternet, qinternet, cinternet(1), smpppd(8), smpppd-ifcfg(8). AUTHOR
Arvin Schnell <arvin@suse.de> SuSE December 2002 ACCOUNTING(1)