Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE SLES 11 SP1 X windows login screen disappear .. Post 302649381 by nnnnnnine on Thursday 31st of May 2012 09:01:59 AM
Old 05-31-2012
SLES 11 SP1 X windows login screen disappear ..

Dear All

I have a problem (please look the attachment picture.)

My SLEL 11 SP1 use run-level 5, after I reboot the server.

the Ctrl+Alt F7 console only display the wallpaper...
(It should display a lprompt to ask username and password, please look the attachment picture.

and the login screen disappear...

I have no idea which log file I need to check.

But I have check the ":0-greeter.log", the output below:
# tail /var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log
gdm[19175]: #39 0x00007fffec49ac38 in ?? ()
gdm[19175]: fo available.
gdm[19175]: #40 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
gdm[19175]: No symbol table info available.
gdm[19175]: A debugging session is active.
gdm[19175]:
gdm[19175]: Inferior 1 [process 19170] will be detached.
gdm[19175]:
gdm[19175]: Quit anyway? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
gdm[19175]: ******************* END **********************************

Cant any one advice , how to troubleshooting this problem...

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
SLES 11 SP1 X windows login screen disappear ..-sles11sp1_x-window_login_screen_disappearpng
SLES 11 SP1 X windows login screen disappear ..-sles11sp1_x-window_login_screen_normalpng

Last edited by nnnnnnine; 05-31-2012 at 11:51 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Login screen change

If I want to change a Solaris 8 login screen to add a Company name what do I need to do ? Current login prompt SunOS 5.8 login: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miredale
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Windows 2003 sp1 to Solaris 10 6/06 password synchronization (ssod)

We are currently using ssod daemon, included with SFU 3.5, to synchronize passwords from AD to Solaris 8. We are now upgrading to a new Solaris 10 server. I loaded out the sso.conf, and the ssod on the server. Ssod seems to start up fine, but it gives an error on the console when I change a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: james_ryan
0 Replies

3. AIX

I won't get the login screen

Hi to all, I am new to AIX.I faced some desktop problem from past few days. when i login to that machine, i won't get the login screen. Why it's happening lot of times, i don't know. I get only blank screen. Could any knows please help me. It's very urget to me. Thanks &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balarajum
2 Replies

4. AIX

Pre Login Screen

Is it possible to have the user press enter to acknowledge a message before typing in his or her login name and password? I need to add this functionality to the CDE login, ssh, and ibm 3151 console on AIX 5.3. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prichard
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Screen resolution before and after login

system: Fedora14 on vmware the login screen resolution is 1024*768, but after login the resolution is 800*600. I want to set the login screen resolution as 800*600 too. How to do this? thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
2 Replies

6. SuSE

SLES 9 vs SLES 11 hard drive cache read timings are diffrent

Can anyone give me a little clue on why the hard drive cache read timings on sles 9 is better then sles 11? The same hardware was used in both test. I even deleted the ata_generic module from initrd. The speed difference is 10MB vs 5 MB Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3junior
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

OpenSuse Login Screen

I'm Not really sure if this is the best place to ask this question but logic tells me it is :P I'm Trying to change the login screen for OpenSuse the green Screen for something a little bit more of my liking, and I think the only way to do it perfect and right is through the command Line, do not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JuankyKong
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Login Screen in Solaris 11

I have a requirement to add a warning banner to the Solaris 11 login screen. Adding the banner was pretty easy in Solaris 10 by changing *Dtlogin. Does anyone know how to make the change in Solaris !!? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Login screen reappears..!!

Hi all, My login screen reappears if i give a correct password for a user and give login.. I am doing Linux BMR process for CentOs .. I first backup the ' / ' folder with partition details and then restore it using a live cd. By doing so i got succeeded in restoring a machine.. But while... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvarajvs
0 Replies
gdm-restart(1m) 						   User Commands						   gdm-restart(1m)

NAME
gdm-restart, gdm-safe-restart, gdm-stop - stop or restart GDM SYNOPSIS
gdm-restart gdm-safe-restart gdm-stop DESCRIPTION
gdm-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a HUP signal to the GDM daemon. This command immediately terminates all sessions and logs out users currently logged in with GDM. gdm-safe-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a USR1 signal to the GDM daemon. GDM is restarted as soon as all users log out. gdm-stop stops GDM by sending a TERM signal to the GDM daemon. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gdm-restart Executable to stop and restart GDM /usr/bin/gdm-safe-restarExecutable to stop and restart GDM safely /usr/bin/stop Executable to stop GDM ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-display-mgr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gdm(1), gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmflexiserver(1), gdmphotosetup(1), gdmsetup(1), gdmthemetester(1), gdmconfig(1m) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 1 Sep 2004 gdm-restart(1m)