Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Threshold for open connections Post 302649039 by bakunin on Wednesday 30th of May 2012 05:38:22 PM
Old 05-30-2012
Depending on the type of network connection (i suppose TCP/IP?) there are a few limits, but i doubt that you have hit them:

A normal TCP connection (say, a telnet session) is done via a "virtual channel": while it is establishing a "socket" (this is a Layer-4 addressing device, an IP-address [=layer-3] combined with a port number [=layer-4]) connection is defined via which all the communication is done. The communication runs from host-aSmilieort-x to host-bSmilieort-y and vice versa. Once the session is closed this socket connection is decomposed and the used ports are released and ready to be used again.

So, in a way, the number of available ports are a limiting factor, but as they are 16-bit numbers (1-65535) this isn't all to imposing.

Another limit is the available memory. Some OSes have tuning options how much memory i set aside for various aspects of the networking stack (for instance TCP reassemble buffers), but i don't know how this is done in Linux, just that this exists. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable regarding Linux than me will fill in this gap.

Still, modern systems on modern networks usually have enough memory to handle the network with ease. While this should be investigated (to make sure the problem doesn't sit there) it is rather unlikely that this is the problem.

What might be a problem is: if the application runs under a normal UID it might lack the necessary ulimits?

What does the application do when it drops the sessions? Does it throw a coredump or does it close normally or does it still run? What do you have to do to revive the system? Reboot? Restart of the application? Just wait?

The more you tell us about the system the easier it is to give concrete advise instead of some general chit-chat. So help us help you and explain in more detail what your system looks like (versions, how much memory/processors/swap space, which network connections) what it does (running applications, what they are doing, how many logins/how much network traffic/how much disk I/O) and some traces: "vmstat", "iostat", etc.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Unable to open remote connections

Hello everybody, This is an unusual problem that I am facing on my Solaris 9 on Sun Blade 150 workstation. I can ping remote machines (outside subnet) but I can't open up a connection/port on those machines. For example, `ping ftp.xyz.com` gives ftp.xyz.com is alive but if I do a `ftp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: red_crab
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Help! Performance Threshold for Solaris 8,9,10

hi, I am trying to determine a 'rule of thumb' threshold for memory usage on different Solaris versions. I know that prior to Solaris 8, "page scan rate > 300" can be used as a general rule of thumb to determine any memory shortages. Since Solaris 9 and 10 have a different memory handling... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwclu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

apache threshold

Hi folks, how can i check apache threshold values via shell scripting and what factors need to check via shell scripting process or number of users or what. pls do advice me. Thanks, Bash (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to lessen the threshold of diskusgae %

Hi experts, I found- $ tail -f /var/adm/messages .... .... Jan 17 05:16:31 server01b last message repeated 6 times Jan 17 05:17:05 server01c ufs: NOTICE: alloc: /var/fileserver:file system full but I checked with df -k and found /var/fileserver is only 49% is used. It means... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Quota threshold

Hi, I am trying to make a script in which the user is notified once the disk space of the environment increases a particular threshold. I have made a script for it but I am facing an error while executing it. Could any one here guide me further?? Script #!/bin/sh warninglimit=350000... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Taranjeet Singh
22 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Load Average threshold

What should be the threshold for load average of a quad core processor? What constitutes "good" and "bad" load average values? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

threshold

Hi, I have a table with 14 columns. How can I filter the columns 2-14, so that I get only those rows back in which the data values are >= 6 in 5 or more columns. :confused: E.g. A 6 6 3 6 7 8 B 1 2 3 4 5 5 C 2 2 2 6 7 8 Here I should only get back the row A. I would like to work from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Rootvol above threshold

Hi there, Root filesystem is above threshold, I have search and cleared unwanted files which are filling up space. But the root fs is still above threshold. I don't know about veritas volume management. Can anyone show me how to solve this. Du shows /proc is occupying a lot of space. Most of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar63
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How the free memory threshold?

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking for an explanation of Solaris memory manager. You'd better ask Oracle that question because you are talking about Solaris kernel internals. The operating system kernel has no reason to kick a process's memory set out of real memory until... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
4 Replies
UDPTunnel(1)								net							      UDPTunnel(1)

NAME
udptunnel - Tunnel UDP packets over a TCP connection SYNTAX
udptunnel -s TCP-port [-r] [-v] UDP-addr/UDP-port[/ttl] udptunnel -c TCP-addr[/TCP-port] [-r] [-v] UDP-addr/UDP-port[/ttl] DESCRIPTION
UDPTunnel is a small program which can tunnel UDP packets bi-directionally over a TCP connection. Its primary purpose (and original motiva- tion) is to allow multi-media conferences to traverse a firewall which allows only outgoing TCP connections. USAGE
UDPTunnel can be run in two modes: a client mode and a server mode. The client mode initiates the TCP connection before relaying UDP; the server waits for an incoming connection before doing so. After the TCP connection is established, the behavior of the two modes is identi- cal. If you are using UDPTunnel to traverse a firewall as discussed above, the client would be run inside the firewall, and the server would be run outside it. OPTIONS
-s TCP-port Server mode: If udptunnel is invoked with the -s option, it runs in server mode: the server will wait for an incoming connection on the specified TCP port, and then relay UDP to and from it." -c TCP-addr[/TCP-port] Client mode: If udptunnel is invoked with the -c option, it runs in client mode: it will open a TCP connection to the specified TCP host and port, and then relay UDP on it. The TCP port may be omitted in this case; it will default to the same port number as the UDP port. -r RTP mode: In order to facilitate tunneling both RTP and RTCP traffic for a multi-media conference, this sets up relays on two con- secutive TCP and UDP ports. All specified port numbers in this case must be even. Note that both the client and the server must use the -r flag for this to work; the server will not begin relaying packets until both its connections have been established. -v Verbose output: This flag turns on verbose debugging output about UDPTunnel's actions. It may be given multiple times. With a single -v, information about connection establishment is printed on UDPTunnel's standard error stream; with a second one, per-packet infor- mation is also shown. Note that this latter case can produce a prodigious amount of information. If this flag is not given, UDPTun- nel will remain silent unless an error occurs. One of the two options -c and -s must be given; if not, it is an error. In all cases, the UDP address and port to tunnel is given after all options. UDPTunnel will listen to this adddress for packets, and will send received packets on this address. The address may be a multicast address; in this case, a multicast TTL should be specified, and tun- neled packets will be sent with this TTL. All addresses, TCP and UDP, may be specified either as an IPv4 dotted-quad address (e.g. 224.2.0.1) or as a host name (e.g. conrail.cs.columbia.edu). Port numbers must be in the range of 1 to 65535; TTLs must be in the range 0 to 255. PACKET FORMAT
The packets are sent on TCP using the obvious, simple format: a sixteen-bit length field, in network byte order, precedes each data packet. This format was proposed in early drafts of RTP for RTP-over-TCP, but was dropped from the final specification. KNOWN BUGS
/ISSUES UDPTunnel does not check incoming UDP packets to verify that they are indeed coming from the address which the user specified; it binds to INADDR_ANY, and accepts any UDP packet arriving on the specified port. This could potentially allow denial-of-service or spoofing attacks. If two or more -v options are given, per-packet identification will be printed of each packet's source address as it is received, allowing such a situation to be diagnosed. For multicast, UDPTunnel turns off packet loopback, as it has no way to distinguish its own packets it sent out from packets genuinely arriving on the multicast group. This means that if you are tunneling traffic from or to a multicast group, both ends of UDPTunnel must be run on different hosts than any member of the group. (In general, the only way to distinguish looped packets from packets genuinely received from other applications on the local host is with application-layer labeling, as RTP does.) UDPTunnel is designed to tunnel RTP-style traffic, in which applications send and receive UDP packets to and from the same port (or pair of ports). It does not support request/response-style traffic, in which a client request is sent from a transient port X to a well-known port Y, and the server's response is returned from port Y to port X. UDPTunnel deliberately ignores "Connection Refused" errors on the UDP port, clearing the socket error state, so that a tunnel may be set up before conferencing tools are started on both ends. This may mean that a mis-typed UDP address or port is not recognized, as no error is printed. If two or more -v options are given, a diagnostic will be printed whenever the error state is cleared from the socket. Once one endpoint of a tunnel is taken down, closing the socket, the other one exits as well; to re-establish the tunnel, UDPTunnel must be restarted on both sides. IP version 6 is not supported. AUTHORS
UDPTunnel was written by Jonathan Lennox <lennox@cs.columbia.edu>. It incorporates code written by Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.colum- bia.edu>. This manual page was written by Thomas Scheffczyk <thomas.scheffczyk@verwaltung.uni-mainz.de>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Jonathan Lennox 1.1 UDPTunnel(1)