Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Threshold for open connections Post 302649039 by bakunin on Wednesday 30th of May 2012 05:38:22 PM
Old 05-30-2012
Depending on the type of network connection (i suppose TCP/IP?) there are a few limits, but i doubt that you have hit them:

A normal TCP connection (say, a telnet session) is done via a "virtual channel": while it is establishing a "socket" (this is a Layer-4 addressing device, an IP-address [=layer-3] combined with a port number [=layer-4]) connection is defined via which all the communication is done. The communication runs from host-aSmilieort-x to host-bSmilieort-y and vice versa. Once the session is closed this socket connection is decomposed and the used ports are released and ready to be used again.

So, in a way, the number of available ports are a limiting factor, but as they are 16-bit numbers (1-65535) this isn't all to imposing.

Another limit is the available memory. Some OSes have tuning options how much memory i set aside for various aspects of the networking stack (for instance TCP reassemble buffers), but i don't know how this is done in Linux, just that this exists. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable regarding Linux than me will fill in this gap.

Still, modern systems on modern networks usually have enough memory to handle the network with ease. While this should be investigated (to make sure the problem doesn't sit there) it is rather unlikely that this is the problem.

What might be a problem is: if the application runs under a normal UID it might lack the necessary ulimits?

What does the application do when it drops the sessions? Does it throw a coredump or does it close normally or does it still run? What do you have to do to revive the system? Reboot? Restart of the application? Just wait?

The more you tell us about the system the easier it is to give concrete advise instead of some general chit-chat. So help us help you and explain in more detail what your system looks like (versions, how much memory/processors/swap space, which network connections) what it does (running applications, what they are doing, how many logins/how much network traffic/how much disk I/O) and some traces: "vmstat", "iostat", etc.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Unable to open remote connections

Hello everybody, This is an unusual problem that I am facing on my Solaris 9 on Sun Blade 150 workstation. I can ping remote machines (outside subnet) but I can't open up a connection/port on those machines. For example, `ping ftp.xyz.com` gives ftp.xyz.com is alive but if I do a `ftp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: red_crab
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Help! Performance Threshold for Solaris 8,9,10

hi, I am trying to determine a 'rule of thumb' threshold for memory usage on different Solaris versions. I know that prior to Solaris 8, "page scan rate > 300" can be used as a general rule of thumb to determine any memory shortages. Since Solaris 9 and 10 have a different memory handling... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwclu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

apache threshold

Hi folks, how can i check apache threshold values via shell scripting and what factors need to check via shell scripting process or number of users or what. pls do advice me. Thanks, Bash (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to lessen the threshold of diskusgae %

Hi experts, I found- $ tail -f /var/adm/messages .... .... Jan 17 05:16:31 server01b last message repeated 6 times Jan 17 05:17:05 server01c ufs: NOTICE: alloc: /var/fileserver:file system full but I checked with df -k and found /var/fileserver is only 49% is used. It means... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Quota threshold

Hi, I am trying to make a script in which the user is notified once the disk space of the environment increases a particular threshold. I have made a script for it but I am facing an error while executing it. Could any one here guide me further?? Script #!/bin/sh warninglimit=350000... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Taranjeet Singh
22 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Load Average threshold

What should be the threshold for load average of a quad core processor? What constitutes "good" and "bad" load average values? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

threshold

Hi, I have a table with 14 columns. How can I filter the columns 2-14, so that I get only those rows back in which the data values are >= 6 in 5 or more columns. :confused: E.g. A 6 6 3 6 7 8 B 1 2 3 4 5 5 C 2 2 2 6 7 8 Here I should only get back the row A. I would like to work from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Rootvol above threshold

Hi there, Root filesystem is above threshold, I have search and cleared unwanted files which are filling up space. But the root fs is still above threshold. I don't know about veritas volume management. Can anyone show me how to solve this. Du shows /proc is occupying a lot of space. Most of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar63
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How the free memory threshold?

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking for an explanation of Solaris memory manager. You'd better ask Oracle that question because you are talking about Solaris kernel internals. The operating system kernel has no reason to kick a process's memory set out of real memory until... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
4 Replies
UDP(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    UDP(4)

NAME
udp -- Internet User Datagram Protocol SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <netinet/in.h> int socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0); DESCRIPTION
UDP is a simple, unreliable datagram protocol which is used to support the SOCK_DGRAM abstraction for the Internet protocol family. UDP sockets are connectionless, and are normally used with the sendto(2) and recvfrom(2) calls, though the connect(2) call may also be used to fix the destination for future packets (in which case the recv(2) or read(2) and send(2) or write(2) system calls may be used). UDP address formats are identical to those used by TCP. In particular UDP provides a port identifier in addition to the normal Internet address format. Note that the UDP port space is separate from the TCP port space (i.e., a UDP port may not be ``connected'' to a TCP port). In addition broadcast packets may be sent (assuming the underlying network supports this) by using a reserved ``broadcast address''; this address is network interface dependent. Options at the IP transport level may be used with UDP; see ip(4). ERRORS
A socket operation may fail with one of the following errors returned: [EISCONN] when trying to establish a connection on a socket which already has one, or when trying to send a datagram with the desti- nation address specified and the socket is already connected; [ENOTCONN] when trying to send a datagram, but no destination address is specified, and the socket has not been connected; [ENOBUFS] when the system runs out of memory for an internal data structure; [EADDRINUSE] when an attempt is made to create a socket with a port which has already been allocated; [EADDRNOTAVAIL] when an attempt is made to create a socket with a network address for which no network interface exists. MIB VARIABLES
The udp protocol implements a number of variables in the net.inet branch of the sysctl(3) MIB. UDPCTL_CHECKSUM (udp.checksum) Enable udp checksums (enabled by default). UDPCTL_MAXDGRAM (udp.maxdgram) Maximum outgoing UDP datagram size UDPCTL_RECVSPACE (udp.recvspace) Maximum space for incoming UDP datagrams udp.log_in_vain For all udp datagrams, to ports on which there is no socket listening, log the connection attempt (disabled by default). udp.blackhole When a datagram is received on a port where there is no socket listening, do not return an ICMP port unreachable message. (Disabled by default. See blackhole(4).) SEE ALSO
getsockopt(2), recv(2), send(2), socket(2), blackhole(4), inet(4), intro(4), ip(4) HISTORY
The udp protocol appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD