Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Killing a Child Thread
Top Forums Programming Killing a Child Thread Post 302648413 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 29th of May 2012 10:18:21 PM
Old 05-29-2012
Read cancellation point and then you will know if you can use pthread_cancel.
Threads The read system call is one of a lot of cancellation points.

BTW - threads are very different from a child process.

You can also invoke pthread_kill but other threads and the main thread can be affected unless threads all have enabled per-thread signal handling.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing a child process within a shell

Hi All, I have a written a script in korn shell for importing data into a oracle database. The shell invokes the import within the script. I want to kill this import (child process) . I tries using trap, but this does not kill the import even if i press cnt c. i have to login into other terminal... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yerics
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing a child process

I am calling another script from my main script and making it run in the background,based upon the value of the input provided by the user I want to kill the child process ,I have written this code timer.ksh & PID=$$ print "\n Do you wish to continue .. (Y/N) : \c " read kill_proc if ]... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mervin2006
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing child process in ksh

I have a script that (ideally) starts tcpdump, sleeps a given number of seconds, then kills it. When I do this for 10 seconds or and hour, it works fine. When I try it for 10 hours (the length I actually want) it just doesn't die, and will actually stick around for days. Relevant part of my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: upnix
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

killing all child processes

Hi, Is there a way I can kill all the child processes of a process, given its process id. Many thanks in advance. J. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser84
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Child Killing Parent

Hi all, I am writing a script which calls other third party scripts that perform numerous actions. I have no control over these scripts. My problem is, one of these scripts seems to execute and do what it is meant to do, but my calling / parent script always exits at that point. I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark007
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Killing a thread having a listener socket

Hi All I have a separate thread ListenerThread having a socket listening to info broadcasted by some remote server. This is created in my main thread. Because of requirements, once the separate thread is started I need to avoid any blocking function on the main thread. Once it comes to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manustone
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Killing child daemon started by parent process

Hi All, Hope this is right area to ask this question. I have a shell script (bash) "wrapper.sh", which contains few simple shell command which executes a "server.sh" (conatins code to execute a java server) as a daemon. Now what I want to kill this "server.sh" so that the server should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jw_amp
2 Replies

8. Programming

Parent Thread Of Child Thread

Parent Thread Of Child Thread Suppose a process creates some threads say threadC and threadD. Later on each of these threads create new child threads say threadC1, threadC2, threadC3 etc. So a tree of threads will get created. Is there any way to find out the parent thread of one such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that kills previous instances of itself upon running not killing child processes

I'm likely going to explain this clumsily, so apologies in advance: I have the following script: #!/bin/bash pidPrefix="logGen" checkPrime () { if /sbin/ifconfig eth0:0|/bin/grep -wq inet;then isPrime=1;else isPrime=0;fi } killScript () { /usr/bin/find /var/run -name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Child killing parent process and how to set up SMF

Hello, A little background on what we are doing first. We are running several applications from a CLI, and not all of them are fully functional. They do on occasion core dump, not a problem. We are running a service that takes a screen scrape of those apps and displays them in a more user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bryan.Eidson
5 Replies
PTHREAD_CANCEL(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					 PTHREAD_CANCEL(3)

NAME
pthread_cancel -- cancel execution of a thread LIBRARY
POSIX Threads Library (libpthread, -lpthread) SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_cancel(pthread_t thread); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_cancel() function requests that thread be canceled. The target thread's cancelability state and type determines whether and when the target thread reacts to the cancellation request. 1. The cancelability state of a thread is determined by the pthread_setcancelstate(3) function. The state can be either: o PTHREAD_CANCEL_ENABLE: the cancelability type determines when the actual cancellation occurs. This is the default. o PTHREAD_CANCEL_DISABLE: the request from pthread_cancel() remains queued until the cancellation is enabled by the thread. 2. The cancellation type of a thread is determined by the pthread_setcanceltype(3) function. The type can be either: o PTHREAD_CANCEL_DEFERRED: the cancellation will be delayed until the thread calls a function that is a cancellation point. This is the default. The available cancellation points are listed in pthread_setcanceltype(3). o PTHREAD_CANCEL_ASYNCHRONOUS: the thread can be canceled at any time. When the tread reacts to the cancellation request, the following occur: 1. The cancellation cleanup handlers for the thread are called; see pthread_cleanup_push(3). 2. When the last cancellation cleanup handler returns, the thread-specific data destructor functions will be called for the thread. 3. When the last destructor function returns, the thread will be terminated; see pthread_exit(3). The cancellation processing in the target thread runs asynchronously with respect to the calling thread returning from pthread_cancel(). A status of PTHREAD_CANCELED is made available to any threads joining with the target. The symbolic constant PTHREAD_CANCELED expands to a constant expression of type (void *), whose value matches no pointer to an object in memory nor the value NULL. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the pthread_cancel() functions will return zero. Otherwise an error number will be returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pthread_cancel() function may fail if: [ESRCH] No thread could be found corresponding to that specified by the given thread ID. SEE ALSO
pthread_cleanup_pop(3), pthread_join(3), pthread_testcancel(3) STANDARDS
The function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
July 9, 2010 BSD