Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO CPIO listing from tape question... Post 302648381 by methyl on Tuesday 29th of May 2012 07:22:40 PM
Old 05-29-2012
@Stephan
Please post the command which worked (when typed twice).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup listing(cpio)

Hi i am using HPUX and i want to know wht is the command to see the listing from the tape device.. i have taken the backup using cpio -ocvB>/dev/rmt/0m while seeing the listing using cpio -itvB</dev/rmt/0m it is not showing the listing giving message -c option sd be there if i put -c... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Listing the Ignite Backup tape

HI All I have created the bootable recovery tape using the ignite command make_tape_recovery, I need help for the command to list the content recorded in that tape. Regards, Gege:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cgege
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selective restore from a cpio tape archive

Hi, I use following command to restore data from my cpio tape archive: $cpio -icvd < /dev/rct0 But this'll restore all tape contents to the current path, what if I want only selected files from the tape, suppose I want /home/compdir/home2/Rev83/data/PL/01/*.* files to be restored... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
8 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

cpio question

I apologize in advance if someone else has posted a similar question and I overlooked the answer in the forums, so here goes. i'm using cpio to retrieve data from a tape and the switches i'm using are cpio -AvicdumkB -I/dev/rct0 now the data i'm trying to restore is a specific couple of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: HNelson
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

reading an AIX cpio tape on RH8

Thanks for any insights you might have... I have a RH8 system setup with a DAT drive. I have a AIX tape that was made using cpio. Bottom line is I need to read the AIX tape into the RH box. I was able to do cpio -itv --no-absolute-filenames < /dev/st0 and read the table of contents. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike114327
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract cpio backup on tape

Hi, I was wondering, If I take a backup using cpio to tape from UNIX, can I extract data on windows box using cpio for windows? Anybody ever do this? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yonez
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote Tape Backup Using cpio

Hi all, I've got two HP machines running HP-UX 11.31 and would like to remotely backup one server onto another server's tape unit using the cpio command. The two servers use a secured communication channel, i.e ssh. Kindly help, Koketso (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Koketso
1 Replies

8. AIX

CPIO restoration from LTO2 tape media on AIX 4.3.3

Hi, AIXers :) Recently i'm playing around with cpio command, when i try to list out content from LTO2 Tape media using command: #cpio -itvc < /dev/rmt1 it's stopped at particular path 100777 root 1042591 Mar 24 10:09:05 2012 /home/uv/bin/usd and there was an error thrown out: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polar
2 Replies

9. AIX

Slow listing of LTo5 tape contents

Hi, We are taking our filesystem backup having size of 1.3 TB on LTO5 catridges using the following command find * -print|backup -ivf '/dev/rmt0' '-U' i.e backup byname and it took about 6.5 Hours to complete When we are listing same tape contents using the following command restore... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
1 Replies

10. AIX

Listing tape in AIX | backup taken from windows

Hi, We have backup on LTO-3 tape it was taken from windows via windows backup utility, now the issue is that we want to list the content of tape in aix 6.1. Kindly help. Regards Salman (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salmanraza
3 Replies
BACKUP-WHATSTHIS(1)						   Chiark-backup					       BACKUP-WHATSTHIS(1)

NAME
backup-whatsthis - read an id off a tape and display it SYNOPSIS
backup-whatsthis [--list [n]] DESCRIPTION
`backup-whatsthis' is a simple script to display the TAPEID of the current tape and optionally list its contents. This script is a bit of a hack and may not be fully reliable. OPTIONS
--list [n] Print TAPEID then list archive n (default 0). Note that archives are numbered from zero. FILES
/etc/chiark-backup/settings.pl Configuration file for the whole of chiark-backup BUGS
`backup-whatsthis' is currently hardwired to assume `cpio' type backups when listing; it could be trivially hardwired to assume `zafio' or with slightly more effort it could be done properly :->. AUTHOR
This Manual page was written by Matthew Vernon <matthew@debian.org> but may be used by anyone. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997-1998,2000-2001 Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Copyright (C) 1999 Peter Maydell <pmaydell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Debian July 2003 BACKUP-WHATSTHIS(1)