Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Getting size of a variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting size of a variable Post 302648291 by joeyg on Tuesday 29th of May 2012 02:49:18 PM
Old 05-29-2012
Quote:
what i'm looking for is how much disk space would be consumed if what i have in variable was written to disk
Well, that is a function of how much stuff is there. The wc command can give an indication of how large; for an exact answer you would need to know more about your disk system -- 512 byte blocks, 1024 byte blocks, etc...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Max size of variable

What is the maximum amount of characters that you can have in a varible name in the ksh shell? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
1 Replies

2. AIX

Variable Testing for size

How do you test a variable size to know if it is empty or not? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jango
4 Replies

3. AIX

dev/rmt 0.1 block size is 0; variable; must be 1024 fixed.

Hi. After the shutdown for SWIFT Alliance Server, tape backup process will be done. Unfortunately, I encountered this error message when I performed the database tape backup. The error was "/dev/rmt 0.1 block size is 0; variable; must be 1024 fixed. Consider reconfiguration through 'chdev'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MariaLuisa
2 Replies

4. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable Size Problem

Hello Everyone, I am currently working with a DB2 (ver 8.1) table (Newly Created) and I am running a basic DB2 Select query into a variable. The field and it's size are VARCHAR(20). Since I need to pass the variable through some java I have noticed that when the results come back from the query... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bob_Loblaw
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

size of number variable in unix (awk)

Hi All, M writing a shell scripting n making use of awk. I am using a integer variable named size. When printing it's value, it is giving result as 4.34534e+10. Is there any way to declare variable of type LONG in awk or in shell scripting in general ? Regards, Abhishek Gera (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhishekG
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

size for sum variable limitation on awk

Hello first, truth been told, I'm not even close to be advanced user. I'm posting here because maybe my question is complicated enough to need your expert help I need to use awk (or nawk - I don't have gawk) to validate some files by computing the total sum for a large numeric variable. It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cwitarsa
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large Variable content size caveats?

Hi, I wrote a shell script, which let me manage dns records through an api. The raw core-command looks like about this: output="$(curl -X GET https://mgt.myserver.de:8081/api/v1/servers/localhost/zones)"The output contains a list of all zones with all records and is about 800 Kilobytes... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: stomp
9 Replies
vdf(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    vdf(8)

NAME
vdf - Display disk information for AdvFS domains and filesets SYNOPSIS
/sbin/advfs/vdf [-k] [-l] domain | domain#fileset OPTIONS
Display disk blocks as 1024-byte blocks instead of the default of 512-byte blocks. When the -l option is specified, the default informa- tion for both the domain and filesets is reformatted to show the relationships between them. For example, any domain metadata displayed is the total metadata shared by filesets in the domain. OPERANDS
The full path name of an AdvFS file domain. When a domain argument is specified, the default display contains information about the number of disk blocks allocated to the domain, the number of disk blocks in use by the domain, and the number of disk blocks that are available to the domain. The name of an AdvFS fileset in an AdvFS file domain. When a domain#fileset argument is specified, the default display contains information about the number of disk blocks allocated to the fileset, the number of disk blocks in use by the fileset, and the number of disk blocks that are available to the fileset. This information is in the same format as that displayed by the df command. DESCRIPTION
The vdf utility is a script that reformats output from the showfdmn, showfsets, shfragbf, and df utilities in order to display information about the disk usage of AdvFS file domains and filesets. In addition, the utility computes and displays the sizes of metadata files in a domain or fileset. NOTES
The disk space used by clone filesets is not calculated. If clone filesets are present in the specified domain, the utility displays the following warning message: Clone fileset(s) in this domain; totals may not be accurate RESTRICTIONS
You must be the root user to use this command. The command cannot be used on filesets that are NFS mounted. All filesets in a domain must be mounted in order to calculate the disk usage of the domain. EXIT STATUS
The utility returns a value of 0 (zero) on successful completion. It returns a value of 1 on failure. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the summary information for a fileset named testfs in a domain named test. The output is the same as for the df command: # vdf test#testfs Filesystem 512-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on test#testfs 60000 20800 39200 35% /mnt The following example shows the summary information for a domain named usr_domain where the number of blocks used for meta- data and data equal 89% of the domain's capacity: # vdf usr_domain Domain 512-blocks Metadata Used Available Capacity usr_domain 65536 11219 47549 6768 89% The following example shows a detailed display of the domain that contains the fileset test#testfs. There are two filesets in the domain; each has a quota limit of 60,000 blocks: # vdf -l test#testfs Domain 512-blocks Metadata Used Available Capacity test 266240 5824 29128 231288 13% Fileset QuotaLimit Used Available Capacity testfs 60000 20800 39200 35% testfs2 60000 8328 51672 14% The following example shows a detailed display of a fileset that is the only fileset in the domain and that the fileset has a quota limit that is greater than the domain can hold: # vdf -l test#testfs Domain 512-blocks Metadata Used Avail- able Capacity test 266240 5824 29128 231288 13% Fileset QuotaLimit Used Available Capacity testfs 300000 20800 231288 8% FILES
SEE ALSO
Commands: df(1), showfdmn(8), showfsets(8), shfragbf(8) Files: advfs(4) vdf(8)