Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count number of occurrence at each line Post 302647925 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 29th of May 2012 05:25:55 AM
Old 05-29-2012
Code:
awk -FENST '{print NF-1}' file

Code:
awk '{print gsub(/ENST/,x)}' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of a pattern between each occurrence of a different pattern

I need to count the number of occurrences of a pattern, say 'key', between each occurrence of a different pattern, say 'lu'. Here's a portion of the text I'm trying to parse: lu S1234L_149_m1_vg.6, part-att 1, vdp-att 1 p-reserver IID 0xdb registrations: key 4156 4353 0000 0000 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slipstream
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line number of an occurrence using grep

Hi All, is there a way to extract the line number of an occurrence using grep? I know that with the -n option it prints out the line number as well. I would like to assign the line number to a variable. Thanks, Sarah (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

line number of the i-th occurrence of a pattern

Hi all, is there a simple way to obtain the line number of the i-th occurrence of a pattern? I have OCCURRENCE=`grep -io "${STRING_NAME}" ${1}-${8}${EXT}.out_bis| wc -l` which tells me how many occurency I have. I would like to go through them and determine the line number and assign... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count number of ~ from each line and compare with next line

Hi, I have created one shell script in which it will count number of "~" tilda charactors from each line of the file.But the problem is that i need to count each line count individually, that means. if line one contains 14 "~"s and line two contains 15 "~"s then it should give an error msg.each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the number of occurrence of words from multiple files?

File 1 aaa bbb ccc File 2 aaa xxx zzz bbb File 3 aaa bbb xxx Output: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Misa-Misa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurrence of a string in file

if there's a file containing: money king money queen money cat money also money king all those strings are on one line in the file. how can i find out how many times "money king" shows up in the line? egrep -c "money king" wont work. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the occurrence of a number?

Hi, I have a file which contained a set of numbers like Col1 col2 col3 col4 1 sa 13 0 2 sb 14 0 3 sc 15 9 4 sd 16 -9 5 sd 20 -2 6 sd 20 4 Here in last column I need to count the zeros, positive values and negative values, please help me to do that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to count the number of lines after the first line

hi, How can i count the number of lines after the first line in a flat file in unix? Say i have a flat file with a header like: Student Name Student ID .... Tnx (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the pipes "|" in line and delete line if count greter then number.

Hello, I have been working on Awk/sed one liner which counts the number of occurrences of '|' in pipe separated lines of file and delete the line from files if count exceeds "17". i.e need to get records having exact 17 pipe separated fields(no more or less) currently i have below : awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)