Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parse file name out of UNC path Post 302647719 by bytesnoop on Monday 28th of May 2012 03:43:33 PM
Old 05-28-2012
OK, I see where you were going with your initial post Corona. Thanks for teaching me that, I never knew about those string features in bash.

I've run into a new problem with my code that I can't figure out. The while loop below successfully iterates through the array and fills the temporary files with the values I need. However, when I attempt to use sed to process these files after the loop completes, sed reports that there is "No such file or directory".

After the program exits I can open the two files I created and filled in the loop and they have the appropriate values, so why is sed telling me they don't exist? I even tried to use cat after the loop and I get the same error message. Any ideas? I'm at a loss and so close to completing this script.

Code:
# parse out, de-dupe and clean up failed source UNC paths. 
grep "ERROR 5" $1 |colrm 1 54 |uniq |tr -d '\r' >path

# create array of failed source UNC paths.
mapfile -t PATH <path

# parse out and save the source folder path and filenames from PATH array.
x=0
while [ $x -lt ${#PATH[@]} ]; do
	echo "${PATH["$x"]##*\\}" >>file
	echo "${PATH["$x"]%\\*}" >>folder
	x=$(( $x + 1 ))
done

# wrap each string from temp files in double quotes.
sed 's/^/"/; s/$/"/' file >>file.sed
sed 's/^/"/; s/$/"/' folder >>folder.sed

Last edited by bytesnoop; 05-28-2012 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: corrected code

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi - replacing a relative path with absolute path in a file

Hi, I have a file with about 60 lines of path: app-defaults/boxXYZ....... I want to change this to /my/path/goes/here/app-defaults/boxXYZ, but of course vi doesn't like the regualr :s/old/new/ command. Is there any other quick way to do this? Thanks ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yinzer955i
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse value from multiple row to create the path

Hi all, Hope all the expert can help me in this situation. Let say I have one file with multiple record like below: NAME=FRAGMENT LANGUAGE=1 DIALECT=0 GENDER=NONE FILE=TEST1 DIRECTORY=D:/DETAILS/1/0/test1.txt END NAME=FRAGMENT LANGUAGE=1 DIALECT=0 GENDER=NONE (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: shirleyeow
13 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Long UNC path not working in CMD.EXE on remote machine

Hi, I am trying to connect to a remote server using Plink tool. Both my local and remote machines are Windows. On remote server, I have OpenSSH server installed. I am able to run commands on remote machine but there is some problem with long UNC path, which I noticed today. For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Technext
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Perl to connect UNC Filepaths on Domain

I'm trying to use Perl on Windows (Doh!) to connect to a folder on a Domain Controller via UNC. Right now, I have perl -e "`runas /user:DOMAIN\\Username dir \\\\SERVER\\d\$\\Path`" This does not seem to connect nor does it prompt for password. Should I try throwing it into a script and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse output path to set variable

I am looking to parse a text file output and set variables based on what is cropped from the parsing. Below is my script I am looking to add this feature too. All it does is scan a certain area of users directories for anyone using up more than X amount of disk space. It then writes to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: es760
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determine if variable is the Server component of UNC

Hi all, Using sh/csh, unfortunately shell scripts are not my strong suit. Trying to write a script that gets called from a program for pre-processing. The program passes individual components of a UNC (//server/path1/path2/filename). Thus the unc path of: //server/path1/path2/filename, is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse Directory path - awk

Hi All, Need some help in parsing a directory listing .. output into 2 files Input file level1,/level2/level3/level4/ora001,10,IBB23 level1,/level2/level3/level4/ora001/blu1,,IBB23 level1,/level2/level3/level4/ora001/clu1,,IBB23 level1,/level2/level3/level4/ora002,,IBB24... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)