Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk, multiple files input and multiple files output Post 302647645 by Corona688 on Monday 28th of May 2012 12:46:27 PM
Old 05-28-2012
what is this 'something' you need awk to do?

In what way must the input file be modified?

What does this input and output look like?

We need details.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting input files into multiple files through AWK command

Hi, I needs to split *.txt files from single directory depends on the some mutltiple input values. i have wrote the code like below for file in *.txt do grep -i -h "value1|value2" $file > $file; done. My requirment is more input values needs to be given in grep; let us say 50... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

building output file from multiple input files

Hi there, I am trying to figure out a way to combine multiple sources with different data on a single file, and I am trying to find the best way to do it. I have multiple files, let's say A, B, C and D. A has a field in common with B, B has a field in common with C, and C has a field in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppucci
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files

Hi, I'd like to process multiple files. For example: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Each file contains several lines of data. I want to extract a piece of data and output it to a new file. file1.txt ----> newfile1.txt file2.txt ----> newfile2.txt file3.txt ----> newfile3.txt Here is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to give multiple csv files as input in awk

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting..My problem is i want to give multiple csv files as input to awk script and process the data into one file.. My input file is File1 File2 File3 Product Location Period SalesPrice A x 8/11/2010 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvth
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use awk to pipe output from one file into multiple files

Hi All. Thanks for your help in advance. I have a requirement to examine the number of delimiters in each record of a file. If the record has the expected number of delimiters it should be passed into a 'good' file. If it does not, the record should be passed into a 'bad' file. I have been able... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: codestar1
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split: File into multiple and keeping the same 3 lines from input into all output files

The following code will split the infile into multiple files. However, I need it to insert the same first 3 lines from the original input file into each splitted file. How do I modify my script below to do so: print -n "Enter file name to split? " ; read infile if then echo "Invalid file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FOR loop with multiple files as input and awk

Hi all , i want to pass multiple files as input to a for loop for i in file1 file2 file3 do some awk action < $i >> $i.out done but im getting error in that for loop is the way i use to pass files to awk using for correct and 2.we can directly pass multiple files to awk as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zozoo
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Multiple UNIX Files for Multiple SQL Rows output

Dear All, I am trying to write a Unix Script which fires a sql query. The output of the sql query gives multiple rows. Each row should be saved in a separate Unix File. The number of rows of sql output can be variable. I am able save all the rows in one file but in separate files. Any... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul_Bhasin
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Multiple input files and output files

Hi, I have many test*.ft1 files to which I want to read as input for a script called pipe2txt.tcl and print the output in each separate file. For example, pipe2txt.tcl < test001.ft1 > test001.txt How can I read many files in this maner? thank you very much, Best, Pahuja (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pahuja
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep strings on multiple files and output to multiple files

Hi All, I want to use egrep on multiple files and the results should be output to multiple files. I am using the below code in my shell script(working in Ksh shell). However with this code I am not attaining the desired results. #!/bin/ksh ( a="/path/file1" b="path/file2" for file in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)