Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unable to Untar
Operating Systems Solaris Unable to Untar Post 302647545 by jlliagre on Monday 28th of May 2012 10:12:48 AM
Old 05-28-2012
It doesn't look like a tar file. What says:

Code:
od -c sunos.tar | head

?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Untar to different location

I have a tar file where the files have been tar'd along with the location of the file i.e /opt/abc/file.txt /opt/abc/file2.txt I am trying to untar this file on a different server where /opt/abc does not exist. How do I untar these files without the tar trying to create the structure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

untar

i have try to untar the file in same location. But it gave the error # tar -xvf TSMSRVAIX5220.tar x tivoli.tsm.devices.acsls, 757760 bytes, 1480 media blocks. tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 4011 not equal to 8222. How can i rectify this prob. Thanks in advance ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash96453
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar remotely

I need to upload tar or zip files to a unix server than unzip or untar them remotely. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do the remote untar or unzip? For example does someone know of a cgi script or something? Thanks -jz (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
3 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

unable to UNTAR a file

Hi frens, I have to install samba on UNIX box for that i have downloaded the samba file from netand now trying to untar that file and getting following error: # tar -xvf samba-3.0.28a.tar.gz UX:tar: ERROR: Directory checksum error even i checked many times by again downloading the file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NIMISH AGARWAL
6 Replies

5. AIX

untar

Hi, How can i untar a set of files in to different directory. This is content tar -tvf samba.tar drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 Nov 28 18:35:41 2008 samba/ -rw-r--r-- 0 0 0 Nov 18 15:12:40 2008 samba/b.txt -rw-r--r-- 0 0 0 Nov 18 15:12:40 2008 samba/c.txt -rw-r--r-- 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: allwin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp, chown, untar

hello i want shell script. i have a source.txt /home/user409/public_html/test/ /home/user09876/public_html/xdsss/ /home/user9765/public_html/320xxx/ . . . maybe 1000 lines i want . 1.read a source.txt 2.untar special.tar.gz into these directory in source.txt 3.i want to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: topic32428285
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to untar file

Hello Experts, I have requirement in which a file is present in the folder_test. In that folder there is file called Test.tar.gz.20111102. Now my requirement is i have to rename this file to someother format and untar it.... folder_test Test.tar.gz.20111102 I am using the below... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to untar a file in HP UX!

Hi, I have been trying to untar this file hello.tar which consists of 3 files but nothing happens: eux750{root}# tar -xvf hello.tar x /hello, 8405 bytes, 17 tape blocks Why am I not able to see the untarred files.:wall: Thanks to help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: terminator
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to untar the below file?

I need to extract the below file. could you please let me know how to extract by using unix command. manfucture.today.1678.tar.gz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar fail

Hi Team, I have a file named as follows: aaa.tar.gz Now I need to verify if the untar fails, then the script has to send a mail. In order to check this condition, I need a tar.gz file which is unable to untar it. Can anyone help me to create a file which I will be able to unzip successfully... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
2 Replies
BF_TAR(1)						    Bogofilter Reference Manual 						 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. AUTHORS
Matthias Andree Bogofilter 10/22/2012 BF_TAR(1)