Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script problem with deleting data Post 302647121 by joeyg on Sunday 27th of May 2012 12:04:42 PM
Old 05-27-2012
What happens if you manually execute that command?
Or, execute the command without the -v option? Without the -v option, the result would demonstrate what meets the criteria.
Code:
grep -v "stuff" <myfile

should copy all except for lines with "stuff"
while,
Code:
grep "stuff" <myfile

would show you what contains "stuff"

As I read your code, I do not think the grep is analyzing the input file. It is early on a Sunday morning for me, but I think you would want something like:

Code:
grep -v "stuff" <myfile >mynewfile

This User Gave Thanks to joeyg For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Permanentky deleting data from disk drives for a decommissioned server.

I am about to retire several servers and need to delete the company confidential data from the internal disks under LVM control. Is there a proven and easy way to accomplish this ? Thanks for all the help in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem - script that parses $date data...

This is probably archaic, but I'm new to unix and this is my first shell script. I'm writing this script to use in another script. All I am trying to do is make the parts of the output from date usable in my other script. I was wondering if you could stand looking at this and see if you notice... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dalcron
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running Perl Script with huge data files

Hello Everyone, I have a perl script that reads two types of data files (txt and XML). These data files are huge and large in number. I am using something like this : foreach my $t (@text) { open TEXT, $t or die "Cannot open $t for reading: $!\n"; while(my $line=<TEXT>){ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting shorter lines from data file

Hello, I have the following data file structure: 1234 text 2345 text 3456 text text text 4567 text text text 5678 text text text 6789 text text text I simply want to delete all of the lines that only have one text column (i.e. the first two lines in this case). The output would be:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palex
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert row without deleting previous data using sed

Hello, I want to add a new row to a file to insert data without deleting the previous data there. Example: file a b c d Output a b newtext c (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: joseamck
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

some strange problem with return data in script

Hi, I have come across a little strange problem in my script. i tried the same logic in some other script where its working fine. but in other script its not behaving as expected. Here is the code: #!/bin/bash run_count="2" catalog_name="demo" cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with database deleting data!!!

Hi, I'm new to programming in shell and I wanted to make a simple database on shell script but I'm having trouble in deleting data. I would apreciate any kind of help. Thank you in adavanced. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lina_14
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting the unwanted data based on condition

hi i have my input data like this aaa bbb ccc asa dff nmj mnj saa dff oik aax cdx saa oik asq sdf dssi want my output file to be like this mnj saa dff oik aax cdx saa oiki want to retain only those lines which will have oik just below them and i want oik to be as next column to those... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting data

Need Assistance in a script to delete date for Below example There are four period(.) line . I wanted to delete 2 period(.) from below . 5 .TODAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS 58 TO 63. LIGHT WINDS IN THE MORNING 6 BECOMING NORTH 10 TO 15 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. 7 .TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
5 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)