Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Simple script to write new lines in a text file Post 302646991 by torchij on Saturday 26th of May 2012 05:03:07 PM
Old 05-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Example that preserves space:
Code:
awk 'n=split($3,T,","){for (i=1;i<=n;i++) {p=$0; sub($3,sprintf("%-" length($3) "s",T[i]),p);print p}next}1' infile

--
On Solaris use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk rather than awk

Hmm...code doesn't seem to be doing anything. For clarification my file is comma seperated, made on excel and saved as a .csv file. The example data sheet has the sample column in the 3rd field, but there are about 60 other fields after.

I've attached the example input file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data

hi all, I have this file with some user data. example: $cat myfile.txt FName|LName|Gender|Company|Branch|Bday|Salary|Age aaaa|bbbb|male|cccc|dddd|19900814|15000|20| eeee|asdg|male|gggg|ksgu|19911216||| aara|bdbm|male|kkkk|acke|19931018||23| asad|kfjg|male|kkkc|gkgg|19921213|14000|24|... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimal
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to write shell script to extract lines we want

hi i have a file which is very large . it contains lines in the format below: seed url, html url .... ... seed url, html url i have sort it already. 2010ÄÏ·ÇÊÀ½ç±*_¾º¼¼·ç±©_ÐÂÀËÍø ÕżªÁúרÀ¸£ºÊÀ½ç±*24ÄêµÄ»ØÒä ÆÚÅÎÑÇÖÞδÀ´ÍŽá_2010ÄÏ·ÇÊÀ½ç±*_¾º¼¼·ç±©_ÐÂÀËÍø 2010ÄÏ·ÇÊÀ½ç±*_¾º¼¼·ç±©_ÐÂÀËÍø ¹úÃ×Óë±´ÄáÌØ˹´ï³ÉÐ*Òé... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainboisterous
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

looking for a script that will delete lines in a text file

it will grep for a line and then delete these line. how do i begin to write this script if theres no available one? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garfish
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a script for text file encryption?

Hi All, I have zero knowledge in UNIX, so i desperately need the help from you guys. I need a script which can encrypt all the text files in one shot in a source directory. After all the text files are encrypted, they will be put into a separate folder. Command involve: gpg with -a,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanbalao
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to write multiple lines to a file using shell script?

I need to create an xml using shell script, but i first want to know how can i write multiple lines to file using shell script? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write text file data to excel using UNIX shell script?

Hi All, I have the requirement in unix shell script. I want to write the "ls -ltr" command out put to excel file as below. Input :text file data : drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Oct 2 12:26 drwxr-xr-x 2 apx aim 4096 Nov 29 18:40 drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Oct 2 12:26 drwxr-xr-x... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balasankar
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - printing range of lines from text file

I'm working on a new exercise that calls for a script that will take in two arguments on the command line (representing the range of line numbers) and will subsequently print those lines from a a specified file. Command line would look like this: ./lines_script.bash 5 15 <file.txt. The script would... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to write a shell script to convert text file to excel file.

Hi Everyone, I want your help to write a script which will take text file as input and on the basis of delimiter ":"script will create excel sheet. Example input: IpAdress:InstanceName:Port:ServerName 10.255.255.1:abc:2232:xyz_abc Output should be an excel sheet like below: Column... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akabhinav18
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to test mountGpoint for read-write

Guys, need your help urgently. ServerA ServerB ServerA has an email facility and can connect remotely via root using key to ServerB What I am trying to achieve here is ServerA would be able to remotely: 1. Do command 'touch /mnt/testfile.date' on ServerB 2. If touch failed with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaapar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
OPANNOTATE(1)						      General Commands Manual						     OPANNOTATE(1)

NAME
opannotate - produce source or assembly annotated with profile data SYNOPSIS
opannotate [ options ] [profile specification] DESCRIPTION
opannotate outputs annotated source and/or assembly from profile data of an OProfile session. See oprofile(1) for how to write profile specifications. OPTIONS
--assembly / -a Output annotated assembly. If this is combined with --source, then mixed source / assembly annotations are output. --demangle / -D none|smart|normal none: no demangling. normal: use default demangler (default) smart: use pattern-matching to make C++ symbol demangling more read- able. --exclude-dependent / -x Do not include application-specific images for libraries, kernel modules and the kernel. This option only makes sense if the profile session used --separate. --exclude-file [files] Exclude all files in the given comma-separated list of glob patterns. --exclude-symbols / -e [symbols] Exclude all the symbols in the given comma-separated list. --help / -? / --usage Show help message. --image-path / -p [paths] Comma-separated list of additional paths to search for binaries. This is needed to find modules in kernels 2.6 and upwards. --root / -R [path] A path to a filesystem to search for additional binaries. --include-file [files] Only include files in the given comma-separated list of glob patterns. --include-symbols / -i [symbols] Only include symbols in the given comma-separated list. --objdump-params [params] Pass the given parameters as extra values when calling objdump. --output-dir / -o [dir] Output directory. This makes opannotate output one annotated file for each source file. This option can't be used in conjunction with --assembly. --search-dirs / -d [paths] Comma-separated list of paths to search for source files. You may need to use this option when the debug information for an image contains relative paths. --base-dirs / -b [paths] Comma-separated list of paths to strip from debug source files, prior to looking for them in --search-dirs. --session-dir=dir_path Use sample database out of directory dir_path instead of the default location (/var/lib/oprofile). --source / -s Output annotated source. This requires debugging information to be available for the binaries. --threshold / -t [percentage] Only output data for symbols that have more than the given percentage of total samples. --verbose / -V [options] Give verbose debugging output. --version / -v Show version. ENVIRONMENT
No special environment variables are recognised by opannotate. FILES
/var/lib/oprofile/samples/ The location of the generated sample files. VERSION
This man page is current for oprofile-0.9.6. SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/oprofile/, oprofile(1) 4th Berkeley Distribution Tue 06 July 2010 OPANNOTATE(1)