Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to find pattern and discard lines before it? Post 302646767 by Scrutinizer on Friday 25th of May 2012 04:52:29 PM
Old 05-25-2012
Try sed "1,${LINE}d". Alternatively, try:
Code:
sed -n '/PLASTICS THAT EXPIRE/,$p' infile

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines and find pattern

I have a file that does not have much formatting. I would like every time it finds a tag (something that starts with < and end with > like <Tag1> ) to be at the beginning of the line and joined with the next line. I tried sed with append and can not get it right and also hold and get in sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixoticking11
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find pattern a delete previous 5 lines

Hi guys, i have the follow problem i need to delete 10 row before the pattern and 1 after and the pattern row itself. file looks like: frect 9.8438 25.8681 10.625 25 . dynprop \ (# \ (call fox_execute(__self))) \ (FOX_VAR_29 \ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EjjE
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find pattern and add lines

My file goes like this: SID_LIST_HOSTNAME_LISTENER_3 = (SID_LIST = (SID_DESC = (SID_NAME = ORA0008) (ORACLE_HOME = /opt/oracle/product/ORA0008) (ENVS = "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/oracle/product/ORA0008/lib") ) (SID_DESC = (SID_NAME = ORA0007) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpsingh
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number some lines discard others?

Hi, I'd like to do an operation on text with a format like this this line shall be numbered this line shall not be numbered this line shall also be numbered this line shall not not be numbered And I want an output like this 1 this line shall be numbered this line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeppe83
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk Find Pattern Print Lines Before and After

Using grep I can easily use: cvs log |grep -iB 10 -A 10 'date: 2013-10-30' to display search results and 10 lines before and after. How can this be accompished using gawk? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] find pattern, change next two lines

Hi, hope you can help me... It seems like a straightforward problem, but I haven't had any success so far using my basic scripting and awk "skills": I need to find a pattern /VEL/ in an input file that looks like this: 1110SOL OW25489 1.907 7.816 26.338 -0.4365 0.4100 -0.0736 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Discard part of a file based on a pattern ---

I have the file: s3_T0(2) Pos "1" "2" s1_T1(2) Pos "1" "2" --- 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 --- 1 2 "tau0" 1 2 "h10" I want to patternmatch on --- and get only the third part i.e. 1 2 "tau0" 1 2 "h10" I wanted to start simple but even something like (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eagle_fly
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk or sed to find a pattern that has lines before and after it

Dear gurus, Please help this beginner to write and understand the required script. I am looking for useing awk for sed. I have a few thousand lines file whose contain are mostly as below and I am trying to achieve followings. 1. Find a string, say user1. Then hash the line containing the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran_bon_78
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find pattern; grep n lines before and after

Hi, I need help to grep a specific part of a log file (bold). 24/2/2017-16:57:17.056 frosti-1 M3UA-Tx: } 24/2/2017-16:57:17.056 frosti-1 M3UA-Tx: extensionContainer <Not Present> 24/2/2017-16:57:17.056... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasil
8 Replies
INSTR(3)						       MBK UTILITY FUNCTIONS							  INSTR(3)

NAME
instr - find an occurence of a string in a string, starting at a specified character. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "mut.h" char *instr(s, find, from) char *s, *find, from; PARAMETERS
s Pointer to the string to be searched for the pattern find Pointer to the string to be found, the pattern from Character to be searched backwards before searching for the pattern DESCRIPTION
instr searches the first occurence of the string find in the string s, starting its search at the last occurence of the from character in the string s. If either s or find is NULL, the function returns NULL. If from is (char)0, the pattern is searched from the begining of s. This quite exotic behaviour is useful to search the occurence of a name in a string resulting from a flatten, when only a terminal object name is to be taken into account. RETURN VALUES
instr return NULL either if the pattern find is not present in the searched string s, or if one at least of these two string are NULL. If the pattern is found, a value different from NULL is returned. EXAMPLE
#include "mut.h" /* check for the pattern 'ck' anywhere in the string */ #define contains_ck(name)instr(name, "ck", ' ') /* check for the pattern 'ck' in the signal name, not instance ones */ #define isclock(ptsig) instr(getsigname(ptsig), "ck", SEPAR) SEE ALSO
mbk(1), isvdd(3), isvss(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 INSTR(3)