Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problems with Multiple Pattern String Matching Post 302646639 by jim mcnamara on Friday 25th of May 2012 11:02:10 AM
Old 05-25-2012
What is the goal, the reason you are doing this, not how you chose to do it.

It looks like you are still stuck on square zero. So let's go back and detemine your requirements. I'm sure you do not want just to play with grep or ls. You want to do something with the files, or report something in the files.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching over multiple lines and deleting the first

I've got a longish log file with content such as Uplink traffic: Downlink traffic: I want to parse the log file and remove any line that contains the string "Uplink traffic:" at the beginning of the line, but only if the line following it beginnings with the string "Downlink traffic:" (in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorkie99
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl basic multiple pattern matching

Hi everyone, and thank you for your help with this. I am VERY new with perl so all of your help is appreciated. I have tried google but as I don't know the proper terms to search for and could be daunting for a newbie scripter... I know this is very easy for most of you! Thanks! I have a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinusoid
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Multiple Pattern Matching Operators

I figured this would be simple, but I am stuck. Variable longpath="/dir1/dir2/dir3/filename.stuff.morestuff.garbage" I want to end up with just "filename.extra.moreextra". So, I want to get rid of the path and .garbage I want to do this with just ksh internals. So, no sed,grep,awk,expr,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Topaz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get matching string pattern from a file

Hi, file -> temp.txt cat temp.txt /home/pradeep/123/a_asp.html /home/pradeep/123/a_asp1.html /home/pradeep/435/a_asp2.html /home/pradeep/arun/abc/a_dfr.html /home/pradeep/arun/123/a_kir.html /home/pradeep/123/arun/a_dir.html .... .... .. i need to get a_*.html(bolded strings... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetching string after matching pattern from last

I have a file a file having entries are like @ram@sham@sita @krishan@kumar @deep@kumar@hello@sham in this file all line are having different no of pattern-@. need to fetch the substring after the last pattern. like sita kumar sham thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saluja.deepak
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED multiple pattern matching

Hello sorry for the probably simple question - searching about the forums and Internet, I have not found the answer. Could you tell me please how to do a multiple pattern match with SED So it would be SED searching for "PATTERN1" 'or' "PATTERN2" not 'and' if they happen to fall on the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need with PERL multiple search pattern matching!

My example file is as given below: conn=1 uid=oracle conn=2 uid=db2 conn=3 uid=oracle conn=4 uid=hash conn=5 uid=skher conn=6 uid=oracle conn=7 uid=mpalkar conn=8 uid=anarke conn=9 uid=oracle conn=1 op=-1 msgId=-1 - fd=104 slot=104 LDAPS connection from 10.10.5.6 to 10.18.6.5 conn=2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting sub-string matching the pattern.

Hi, I have a string looks like the following: USERS 32767.9844 UNDOTBS1 32767.9844 SYSAUX 32767.9844 SYSTEM 32767.9844 EMS 8192 EMS 8192 EMS_INDEXES 4096 EMS_INDEXES 4096 8 rows selected. How do I extract a sub-string to get the expected output as following: EMS 8192 EMS_INDEXES 4096 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NetBear
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP - Regex for matching string containing pattern but without pattern itself

The sample file: dept1: user1,user2,user3 dept2: user4,user5,user6 dept3: user7,user8,user9 I want to match by '/^dept2.*/' but don't want to have substring 'dept2:' in output. How to compose such regex? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String pattern matching and position

I am not an expert with linux, but following various posts on this forum, I have been trying to write a script to match pattern of charters occurring together in a file. My file has approximately 200 million characters (upper and lower case), with about 50 characters per line. I have merged all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: biowizz
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD