Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problems with Multiple Pattern String Matching Post 302646485 by A-V on Friday 25th of May 2012 10:32:14 AM
Old 05-25-2012
Need help with Multiple Pattern String Matching

I am facing a problem and I would be grateful if you can help me Smilie

I have a list of words like

Quote:
the and of ...
And I have a datafile like

the box of
the box of tissues out of
of tissues out of
the book, the
the book, the pen and the
the pen and the

I want to find Patterns of “x.*x” where x are the words mentioned, meaning that each line with start with X and followed/finished by X, such as

The.* the
The.* of
The.* and
Of.* the

But I need each of them to be saved in a different file so one file for “the.*the” and so on.
I would previously create a acceptfile of the words, such as

the
of
and

and read a normal pattern from an acceptfile using
Code:
Grep -F  -f acceptfile.txt mainfile.txt > outputfile.txt

But the problem here is that I look for a substring and not a single word and GREP acceptfile is not reading my “x.*x” if i type that in my acceptfile
On the other hand, I used to use grep for substring patterns matching
Code:
grep 'The.* of' main.txt > output.txt

but now that I have about 10 words and I want all of them to be compared to each other, I would have around 100 patterns of “x.*x” and I don't want to manually sit and put them in
I am new to unix but I am sure there should be way to do this but not yet sure how. Smilie

Note: I don't necessary need to use GREP but this is just what I am familiar with now but happy to learn new things

I would be amazing if you can help me

Thank you in advance
A-V

---------- Post updated at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:09 AM ----------

or it may be simpler to say i have a array or file called X

Quote:
where X = [the of and ...]
and another one called Y

Quote:
where Y = [the of and ...]
the command looks like this
Code:
grep 'The.* of' A1-5word.txt| sed -n -e "s/.*\(The[^)]*of\).*/\1/p" > the-of-lines.txt

i guess i would need a loop to go through each one of the Xs and each one of the Ys and put them either in separate column or file like

Quote:
the-of pattern result
the-the pattern result and etc
I am really trying my best but dont know what to do Smilie

Last edited by A-V; 05-25-2012 at 09:52 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching over multiple lines and deleting the first

I've got a longish log file with content such as Uplink traffic: Downlink traffic: I want to parse the log file and remove any line that contains the string "Uplink traffic:" at the beginning of the line, but only if the line following it beginnings with the string "Downlink traffic:" (in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorkie99
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl basic multiple pattern matching

Hi everyone, and thank you for your help with this. I am VERY new with perl so all of your help is appreciated. I have tried google but as I don't know the proper terms to search for and could be daunting for a newbie scripter... I know this is very easy for most of you! Thanks! I have a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinusoid
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Multiple Pattern Matching Operators

I figured this would be simple, but I am stuck. Variable longpath="/dir1/dir2/dir3/filename.stuff.morestuff.garbage" I want to end up with just "filename.extra.moreextra". So, I want to get rid of the path and .garbage I want to do this with just ksh internals. So, no sed,grep,awk,expr,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Topaz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get matching string pattern from a file

Hi, file -> temp.txt cat temp.txt /home/pradeep/123/a_asp.html /home/pradeep/123/a_asp1.html /home/pradeep/435/a_asp2.html /home/pradeep/arun/abc/a_dfr.html /home/pradeep/arun/123/a_kir.html /home/pradeep/123/arun/a_dir.html .... .... .. i need to get a_*.html(bolded strings... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetching string after matching pattern from last

I have a file a file having entries are like @ram@sham@sita @krishan@kumar @deep@kumar@hello@sham in this file all line are having different no of pattern-@. need to fetch the substring after the last pattern. like sita kumar sham thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saluja.deepak
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED multiple pattern matching

Hello sorry for the probably simple question - searching about the forums and Internet, I have not found the answer. Could you tell me please how to do a multiple pattern match with SED So it would be SED searching for "PATTERN1" 'or' "PATTERN2" not 'and' if they happen to fall on the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need with PERL multiple search pattern matching!

My example file is as given below: conn=1 uid=oracle conn=2 uid=db2 conn=3 uid=oracle conn=4 uid=hash conn=5 uid=skher conn=6 uid=oracle conn=7 uid=mpalkar conn=8 uid=anarke conn=9 uid=oracle conn=1 op=-1 msgId=-1 - fd=104 slot=104 LDAPS connection from 10.10.5.6 to 10.18.6.5 conn=2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting sub-string matching the pattern.

Hi, I have a string looks like the following: USERS 32767.9844 UNDOTBS1 32767.9844 SYSAUX 32767.9844 SYSTEM 32767.9844 EMS 8192 EMS 8192 EMS_INDEXES 4096 EMS_INDEXES 4096 8 rows selected. How do I extract a sub-string to get the expected output as following: EMS 8192 EMS_INDEXES 4096 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NetBear
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP - Regex for matching string containing pattern but without pattern itself

The sample file: dept1: user1,user2,user3 dept2: user4,user5,user6 dept3: user7,user8,user9 I want to match by '/^dept2.*/' but don't want to have substring 'dept2:' in output. How to compose such regex? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String pattern matching and position

I am not an expert with linux, but following various posts on this forum, I have been trying to write a script to match pattern of charters occurring together in a file. My file has approximately 200 million characters (upper and lower case), with about 50 characters per line. I have merged all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: biowizz
5 Replies