Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert a new line before every 5th line in a file Post 302646321 by royalibrahim on Friday 25th of May 2012 02:18:23 AM
Old 05-25-2012
Insert a new line before every 5th line in a file

Hi,

I need to insert a new line containing the string "QUERY" above every 5 lines.

The below piece of code inserts a new line after every 5th line
Code:
awk '{print $0} !(NR%5) {print "QUERY"}'

sed 'n;n;n;n;G;' --> I do not know how to give "QUERY" string here

But I need to insert it before every 5th line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert a line as the first line into a very huge file

Hello, I need to insert a line (like a header) as the first line of a very huge file (about 3 ml rows). I am able to do it with sed, but redirecting the output and creating a new file takes quite some time. I was wondering if there was a more efficient way of doing it? Any help would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriek
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert a line in a file

Hello guys, Need to know how to insert a line at top of the file, without using temp files. Can we do it on the fly? Regards, Rishi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help with insert line into file

hi..i wanted to know is there any way to take input from the user and copy that a particular line number in a particular file for eg . i wanted to create acl in squid at line number 2400 in squid.conf file so the user gives an input like acl inetblock src 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 so is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunicon
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a blank line after every 5th line

Hello... I have a file which contain certain number of records. I want to generate another file from this file which will contain 1st line as a blank line & after every 5 lines one blank line will be inserted. How to achieve this through shell scripting? Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 46019
5 Replies

5. Programming

insert line into a file

how to insert a line of text that is next to the current line(file pointer pointing to) in the file ?? :wall: ex: suppose a file named 'Sample' has the following content in it. this is to give clear idea about the problem if file pointer is pointing to the first line then i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavitha rao
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a line and Insert sorted word(s) in a line

Hello, I am looking to automate a task - which is updating an existing access control instruction of a server and making sure that the attributes defined in the instruction is in sorted order. The instructions will be of a specific syntax. For example lets assume below listed is one of an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjayroc
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line in a file by deleting that line from another file

Hi all, I have a huge file(size more that 5GB). I want to do some manupulation with the records and write to another file. As the size of the file is huge and there is a space constraint in that directory, I want to delete that record from first file after writing it in to second file.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - How to insert line before the first blank line following a token

Hello. I have a config file (/etc/my_config_file) which may content : # # port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic port=8200 # network interfaces to serve, comma delimited network_interface=eth0 # set this to the directory you want scanned. # * if have multiple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies
CURSES_INSERTLN(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					CURSES_INSERTLN(3)

NAME
curses_insertln, insertln, winsertln -- curses insert single line routines LIBRARY
Curses Library (libcurses, -lcurses) SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int insertln(void); int winsertln(WINDOW *win); DESCRIPTION
These functions insert a single line on stdscr or on the specified window. The insertln() function inserts a blank line before the current line on stdscr. The current line and all lines below are moved down one line away from the cursor and the bottom line of the window is lost. The winsertln() function is the same as the insertln() function, excepting that the line is inserted on the window win. If a scrolling region has been set with the setscrreg() or wsetscrreg() functions and the current cursor position is inside the scrolling region, then only the lines from the current line to the bottom of the scrolling region are moved down and the bottom line of the scrolling region lost. The functions insertln() and winsertln(win) are equivalent to insdelln(1) and winsdelln(win, 1), respectively. RETURN VALUES
Functions returning pointers will return NULL if an error is detected. The functions that return an int will return one of the following values: OK The function completed successfully. ERR An error occurred in the function. SEE ALSO
curses_deleteln(3), curses_insdelln(3), curses_scroll(3) STANDARDS
The NetBSD Curses library complies with the X/Open Curses specification, part of the Single Unix Specification. HISTORY
The Curses package appeared in 4.0BSD. BSD
February 5, 2006 BSD