Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX CPU waits
Operating Systems AIX AIX CPU waits Post 302645895 by bakunin on Thursday 24th of May 2012 08:59:50 AM
Old 05-24-2012
CPU "wait"s mean: a process, ready to be run (again) cannot be run AND there is no other process which could be run instead. In this regard "wait" is a special kind of "idle" - one, where there are indeed processes to be run whereas "idle" takes place when there are no processes to be run at all.

It is true that - like mentioned in the paper "Demystifying I/O Wait". CPU-intensive processes running at the same time could mask I/O-waits because the processor time is given to these CPU-intensive processes while the I/O-bound process waits. This doesn't seem to be the case here, though.

To see a considerable number of waits always means: the I/O-part of the systems operation is the bottleneck. All the other parts of the system are faster than I/O. This is not necessarily bad: some part always is the weakest link in the chain and if it isn't I/O it would be something else. The question is: is the systems speed enough for you purposes? If this is the case you have nothing to do - once it isn't fast enough any more you will know where to start.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Aix high cpu activity

Hello everyone I have this process running on my server. topas command User 98.6 |############################ I have this process Name PID CPU% PgSp Owner db2fm 565264 25.6 1.5 ldapdb2 db2fm 348328 23.6 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

2. AIX

no of core in cpu for aix

is there command which will display no of core per cpu in aix? Regads, Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

3. AIX

Find CPU per process in AIX

Hi. I am looking for a command that will return me the amount of CPU used by a specific process in AIX environment. I know there is TOPAS - but it is interactive and I need to get this information from system that connects remotely via SSH. Using writing to files and than reading them is also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yamsin789
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that waits until a call is done

Hi all, I have a script that checks for the existence of files in a directory. Problem is, if a file suddenly appears, I need to move it to another directory and then call another program that does not import routines (within our DBMS). Now, this script is ever running and uses the sleep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting CPU% from a ps command (AIX 5.3)

Hi, I need write a script that check how much CPU% a particular process is using so I execute something like : while : do ps aux | awk '{ if($3 < 10) {printf( "this process %s CPU: %f and process %d\n",$1,$3,$2)}}' sleep 300 done but issue here is that I compare... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
0 Replies

6. AIX

AIX CPU use

Hi Could somebody explain me how AIX is using CPU?? For example when we have 2 processors system is giving all task to one of them till 100% is used ?? Or it's depend on configuration or anything else ?? Best regards enda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enda
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX CPU performance script ?

I want to write a shell script which will print AIX CPU utilization memory utilization every 5 mins redirect to file. How do i do it? Please advise. Which commands I should use? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU utilisation in AIX

Hi, I want to write one script that sent mail when CPU utilisation is more then 70%. i used topas but problem is it will show output only when we press ctrl +c. Please let me know if there is some other command that will give cpu utilisation which i can use in shell script. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranvijaidba
3 Replies

9. SuSE

Tcp waits

Hi Guys I am running an Oracle database and most of my sessions are waiting for tcp. Now, how do I check if tcp from the O/S level is servicing requests properly? Please Help!!! Thanks in advance... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
4 Replies

10. AIX

AIX CPU usage

hi, We have two LPARs, both have same capacity and believe same configuration. ulimit settings for oracle user is unlimited for both LPARs. Installed oracle databases with same configurations on both LPARs, both databases sync every second so volume is same. Both LPARs/databases have identical... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: baladelaware73
10 Replies
RUNQUEUE(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					       RUNQUEUE(9)

NAME
chooseproc, procrunnable, remrunqueue, setrunqueue -- manage the queue of runnable processes SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/proc.h> extern struct rq itqueues[]; extern struct rq rtqueues[]; extern struct rq queues[]; extern struct rq idqueues[]; struct thread * choosethread(void); int procrunnable(void); void remrunqueue(struct thread *td); void setrunqueue(struct thread *td); DESCRIPTION
The run queue consists of four priority queues: itqueues for interrupt threads, rtqueues for realtime priority processes, queues for time sharing processes, and idqueues for idle priority processes. Each priority queue consists of an array of NQS queue header structures. Each queue header identifies a list of runnable processes of equal priority. Each queue also has a single word that contains a bit mask identify- ing non-empty queues to assist in selecting a process quickly. These are named itqueuebits, rtqueuebits, queuebits, and idqueuebits. The run queues are protected by the sched_lock mutex. procrunnable() returns zero if there are no runnable processes other than the idle process. If there is at least one runnable process other than the idle process, it will return a non-zero value. Note that the sched_lock mutex does not need to be held when this function is called. There is a small race window where one CPU may place a process on the run queue when there are currently no other runnable processes while another CPU is calling this function. In that case the second CPU will simply travel through the idle loop one additional time before noticing that there is a runnable process. This works because idle CPUs are not halted in SMP systems. If idle CPUs are halted in SMP sys- tems, then this race condition might have more serious repercussions in the losing case, and procrunnable() may have to require that the sched_lock mutex be acquired. choosethread() returns the highest priority runnable thread. If there are no runnable threads, then the idle thread is returned. This func- tion is called by cpu_switch() and cpu_throw() to determine which thread to switch to. choosethread() must be called with the sched_lock mutex held. setrunqueue() adds the thread td to the tail of the appropriate queue in the proper priority queue. The thread must be runnable, i.e. p_stat must be set to SRUN. This function must be called with the sched_lock mutex held. remrunqueue() removes thread td from its run queue. If td is not on a run queue, then the kernel will panic(9). This function must be called with the sched_lock mutex held. SEE ALSO
cpu_switch(9), scheduler(9), sleepqueue(9) BSD
November 3, 2000 BSD