Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting use some part of variable value to replace ../../ values in a file Post 302645795 by rbatte1 on Thursday 24th of May 2012 05:50:52 AM
Old 05-24-2012
I always worry about marking relative references in scripts. If something doesn't exist, a cd will just refuse and unless you carefully manage errors, then you could end up damaging important files. Consider:-
Code:
cd /etc
grep -v bankhost hosts > dr_test_hosts
cd /disaster
rm *
cp -pR /etc/* .

This would (probably in a bad way anyway) remove a sensitive remote host address from /etc/hosts in preparation for a DR test to reduce the risk of actually sending data to the bank. Of course, if you run this and /disaster does not exist then you empty /etc, which could be a little awkward, to say the least.

Could it be a better plan to have a variable made of several others, such as:
Code:
maindir=/dir1/dir2
val=${maindir}/dir3/dir4/file1
...do something...
val=${maindir}/dir3/newdir4/file2
...do something...
val=${maindir}/dir3/bigdir4/file3
...do something...

You would still have to check that these exist, of course, but it reduces the risk of a typing error and one action compounding on another.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but unless you consider every possible action and error, then it's a dangerous game. I've been bitten in the past, so I can't claim perfection, just learning from experience.

I hope that this helps,
Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace part of single string in a file

hi! i have a file consisting of the following lines: (BTW, = space) . . . 12ME_T1mapping_flip30bshortf 13DCE_whole_brainbshortf 13DCE_3Dbshortf . . . the list of scans starts at 1 and goes on sometimes up to 60 scans. i would like to change only the lines that contain 'whole' to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixjennings
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variable from file variable values

Hi, Here is the output of lpstat. I would like to read value of Queue which is(abxxxxb1)and status that is DOWN in first line. i dont care what is in second line. any one can help me.thanks Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- ---------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Content From Part of Other File

I may not being doing this description justice, but I'll give it a try. I created a mailx script; there will be several messages using the same script where the only difference is the content. So I figured I'd make the content of the message a variable retrieved from a separate file. I have five... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command to replace path part of variable

I'm trying to replace path which is part of variable inside script file: FROM: ABC_HOME=$ABC_ROOT/abc/1.0 TO: ABC_HOME=$ABC_ROOT/abc/1.5 I'm using this: perl -pi -e 's\ABC_HOME=$ABC_ROOT/abc/1.0\ABC_HOME=$ABC_ROOT/abc/1.5\g' /apps/scripts/test.sh This command is not working because... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djanu
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

6. Programming

PASSING PART OF FILE CONTENT TO VARIABLE

All, I have a log file containing lots of data now i want to extract all text between block below(names) without the title or end pattern but only names, ++++START++++ SCOTT TIGER HENRY PAUL JARED OTIENO OMOLLO JA NIGERIA ++++END++++ the names i want to return and store in a variable in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Scott2000
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - Replace just part of a single line in a file.....

Hey guy's.... I new here, But im working on a school project, and I am not really good at programming. In fact, this is the only programming class that I need because programming is not what I am majoring in. But I have everything done in this shell script except for this last part..... ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hxdrummerxc
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace values using other file

Gents, Please can you help me. I need to update file1 using file2 values file1 S 44519.00 49349.00 1V1 0.0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0289091513 S 44513.00 48581.00 1V1 0.0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0289094319 S 44511.00 48605.00 1V1 0.0 0 0.0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiam912
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a part of variable/line content in a file

I have a variable and assigned the following values ***XYZ_201519_20150929140642_20150929140644_211_0_0_211 I need to read this variable from backward and stop read when I get first underscore (_) In this scenario I should get 211 Thanks Kris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkris
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace values on file

Gents, Please i need your help. Using the file2.txt i will like to replace values in file3.txt. Example in file 2 column 1 is the value to find in file3.txt and replace with value in colunm2 (file2.txt). Example file2.txt 21 1209 22 1210file3.txt SCI TB Timestamp Local : 8/30/17... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
2 Replies
mhddfs(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mhddfs(1)

NAME
mhddfs - The driver combines a several mount points into the single one. SYNOPSIS
mhddfs /dir1,/dir2[,/path/to/dir3] /path/to/mount [-o options] mhddfs /dir1 dir2,dir3 /mount/point [-o options] ... fusermount -u /path/to/mount fstab record example: mhddfs#/path/to/dir1,/path/to/dir2 /mnt/point fuse defaults 0 0 mhddfs#/dir1,/dir2,/dir3 /mnt fuse logfile=/var/log/mhddfs.log 0 0 OPTIONS
with an -o option1,option2... you can specify some additional options: logfile=/path/to/file.log specify a file that will contain debug information. loglevel=x 0 - debug messages 1 - info messages 2 - standard (default) messages mlimit=size[m|k|g] a free space size threshold If a drive has the free space less than the threshold specifed then another drive will be choosen while creat- ing a new file. If all the drives have free space less than the threshold specified then a drive containing most free space will be choosen. Default value is 4G, minimum value is 100M. This option accepts suffixes: [mM] - megabytes [gG] - gigabytes [kK] - kilobytes For an information about the additional options see output of: mhddfs -h DESCRIPTION
The file system allows to unite a several mount points (or directories) to the single one. So a one big filesystem is simulated and this makes it possible to combine a several hard drives or network file systems. This system is like unionfs but it can choose a drive with the most of free space, and move the data between drives transparently for the applications. While writing files they are written to a 1st hdd until the hdd has the free space (see mlimit option), then they are written on a 2nd hdd, then to 3rd etc. df will show a total statistics of all filesystems like there is a big one hdd. If an overflow arises while writing to the hdd1 then a file content already written will be transferred to a hdd containing enough of free space for a file. The transferring is processed on-the-fly, fully transparent for the application that is writing. So this behaviour simu- lates a big file system. WARNINGS The filesystems are combined must provide a possibility to get their parameters correctly (e.g. size of free space). Otherwise the writing failure can occur (but data consistency will be ok anyway). For example it is a bad idea to combine a several sshfs systems together. Please read FUSE documentation for a further conception. COPYRIGHT
Distributed under GPLv3 Copyright (C) 2008 Dmitry E. Oboukhov <dimka@avanto.org> February 2008 mhddfs(1)