Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copying files to new dir structure. Post 302645339 by arcanas on Wednesday 23rd of May 2012 08:56:29 AM
Old 05-23-2012
That works! Thanks for the help!

I also came up with this as another option:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sdir=<path>/dira
ddir=<path>/dirb

cd "$sdir"; 

IFS='\
'
for author in `ls -1`; 
do 
(mkdir "$ddir/$author"; find "$author" -type f -name "*.epub" -exec cp "{}" "$ddir/$author" \;); 
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files to new dir

Hello, I'm new to shell scripting so I don't really understand what I'm doing wrong. The script I'm trying to do saves all the files (*.c) on the current dir to a list and, one by one, copies them to a new one called Backup. The thing is, if there are already other versions of the files I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: G3nn
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying of files by userB, dir & files owned by userA

I am userB and have a dir /temp1 This dir is owned by me. How do I recursively copy files from another users's dir userA? I need to preserve the original user who created files, original group information, original create date, mod date etc. I tried cp -pr /home/userA/* . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run a command on all txt files present in a dir structure

Hi, I have a directory structure like the one given below root\a\b1 root\a\b2 root\b\b1 root\b\b2 . . . root\j\b1 root\j\b2 Now, there are a txt files in each dir and subdir, there is a root.txt I have to write a script where in i have to run a command called "genrb <filename>"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikramsinghnegi
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a directory structure with the latest versions of files

Hello I have three directory structures for code releases. Each directory structure looks like this: bash-3.00$ ls -R | more .: Test_Release_1 Test_Release_2 Test_Release_3 ./Test_Release_1/dbcode: rp_online_import_srdp.pkb-1 srdp_ar_validation.pkb-1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying specific files from one dir to another

Hi Folks, I have one curious case. There are list of following files placed in one directory such as... And updated each month. files.JAN09.csv files.FEB09.csv files.MAR09.csv ..... Now, I need to move a specific files; i.e, For this month, I need to move only OCT09, NOV09, DEC09,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jerald Nathan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files from input file with dir structure

hi, I want to copy files from source directory based on input file (or output of previous command) and i want to have the SAME DIRECTORY STRUCTURE. Note that i will have other files and directories which i dont want to copy to destination. For example, dir source has following content:... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
22 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying the dir/subdir structure from one server to another?

Hi All, I want to copy the dir/subdir structure from SERVER-A to SERVER-B without copying all the files in each dir. Is it possible using SCP / SFTP command? For example, SERVER-A has following two dir/subdirectories and files under each subdir. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with copying files into dir inside for loop

Hi , I'm trying to move/copy the files inside the loop into a directory . I tried the below code and the issue is the data is not copying into the created directory but the files are copying into another file file_path="/home/etc" Last_Day=20130930 mkdir $file_path/ARC_${Last_Day} ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - Copying ONLY files from one dir to another

I'm writing a Perl script which has its 1st step as to copy files from one directory to another directory. The Source directory has got files with extension, without extension, directories etc. But I want to copy ONLY files with no extension. The files with extensions and directories should not get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhamaks
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from various folders to similar folder structure in another location

Hi, I need to write a script the has to copy the files from folders and subfolders to the same folder structure located in another location. Ex: mainfolder1 file1,file2,file3 subfolder1(file1,etc) subfolder2(file1,etc) to another folder location of same folder structure. rsync is not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raji Perumal
7 Replies
DDIR(1) 						      cvs status - formatter							   DDIR(1)

NAME
ddir - display hierarchical directory tree SYNOPSIS
ddir [options] DIR DESCRIPTION
Display an indented directory tree using ASCII graphical characters to represent the hierarchical structure. The directories to include or exclude can be specified with command line options. Ddir is a Perl implementation of the tree(1) program. OPTIONS
-d, --dir Display only directories. -h, --help Print text help --help-exclude Print default exclude path value when --exclude-vcs is used. --help-html Print help in HTML format. --help-man Print help in manual page man(1) format. -i, --include REGEXP Include files mathing regexp. The match is done against whole path. The option can be used multiple times. If this option is not supplied, every file is automatically included. The matches can be further filtered by using options --exclude. -v, --verbose LEVEL Print informational messages. Increase numeric LEVEL for more verbosity. -V, --version Print contact and version information. -x, --exclude REGEXP Ignore files mathing regexp. The match is done against whole path. The option can be used multiple times. This option is applied after possible --include matches. -C, --exclude-vcs Exclude version control directories. See --help-exclude. EXAMPLES
Show directory tree by excluding version control directories. Display only directories: ddir --x-vcs --dir . . +--doc/ | +--manual/ +--bin/ TROUBLESHOOTING
None. EXAMPLES
None. ENVIRONMENT
None. FILES
None. SEE ALSO
tree(1) COREQUISITES
Uses standard Perl modules. AVAILABILITY
Homepage is at http://freshmeat.net/projects/ddir AUTHORS
Copyright (C) 1995-2010 Jari Aalto. Copyright (C) 1994 Brian Blackmore. LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute and/or modify program under the terms of GNU General Public license either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. perl v5.10.1 2010-03-16 DDIR(1)