Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script | bc syntax format Post 302645155 by harte on Wednesday 23rd of May 2012 05:24:53 AM
Old 05-23-2012
nice guys thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script syntax checker

I have a rather big script that i have written in ksh and it is falling over in two places with a 'test argument' error. I know this usually means that the if statement is not correct, but it is fine. I have looked through the rest of the script for any odd brackets or ` marks, but can't see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script syntax for XML processing

Hi All, I am new to Shell scripting. I have a log file containing XML Messages.Each XML Message is accompanied with a timestamp.I need to count the the number of messages that get logged in a particular timeinterval.Is there any command/Syntax to achieve this. Any code/example is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Shell script syntax help

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. I have a variable which holds a numeric value.I have to check whether this variable holds a value between(0- 8),(8-17)(17-24).How do i write this syntax using if in shell scripting. Thanks Vignesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Check Shell script syntax w/o executing

Hello All, I looking for a way to verify the correction of shell script syntax. Is there any switch like -c in perl which do this in shell ? Thank You. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alalush
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Syntax Shell-Script

Hi Guys, iīve a question ... but itīs a litte bit tricky: iīve a 3 php-scripts which runīs via cron at night. These script reads an xml-file a writes it in an MySQL-DB. I named them (for example here ) Script1 - Script3. The XML-Files i named xml1 - xml3. Now, iīve build a Batch-file,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackcracker
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error calling TCL script from shell script

hello everyone i am beginner on shell scripting .and i am working on my project work on ad hoc network i wrote a batch (.sh) to do a looping and execute a tcl script i wrote before in each iteration ..but i got this problem " syntax error near unexpected token `('... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcoss90
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax Error in Unix Shell Script

I am trying to run a unix script in my home directory.Snippet below echo "`date '+%Y%m%d_%H%M%S'` Getting ProductList.dat" if ( -f $DIR/ProductList.dat) then cp $DIR/ProductList.dat MigratedProductList.dat else echo "`date '+%Y%m%d_%H%M%S'`ProductList.dat does not exist; Processing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mary James
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in shell script

I am creating a shell script. In which, I need to get server name and server IP. I used this command in script. servername=`cat /etc/hosts|grep `eval hostname`|awk '{print $2}'` however, when execute script or put set -x to debug, it return: line 13: syntax error at line 13: `|' unexpected... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Check Syntax of Shell Script without Running

Hi Everyone, Is there any way ( generic) to check syntax of Shell Scripts without running it?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy121
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with if statement syntax in shell script

I want to make the file test condition a variable ($Prmshn in code below). My goal is to use something like the first three unsuccessful if statetments since the 'if #!/bin/ksh test_input() { Prmshn=${1} InFLNm=${2} ifReq="-$Prmshn $InFLNm" #the following three if statments fail: #if ] ;... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ms63707
10 Replies
NICE(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   NICE(2)

NAME
nice - change process priority SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int nice(int inc); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): nice(): _BSD_SOURCE || _SVID_SOURCE || _XOPEN_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
nice() adds inc to the nice value for the calling process. (A higher nice value means a low priority.) Only the superuser may specify a negative increment, or priority increase. The range for nice values is described in getpriority(2). RETURN VALUE
On success, the new nice value is returned (but see NOTES below). On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM The calling process attempted to increase its priority by supplying a negative inc but has insufficient privileges. Under Linux the CAP_SYS_NICE capability is required. (But see the discussion of the RLIMIT_NICE resource limit in setrlimit(2).) CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. However, the Linux and (g)libc (earlier than glibc 2.2.4) return value is nonstandard, see below. SVr4 docu- ments an additional EINVAL error code. NOTES
SUSv2 and POSIX.1-2001 specify that nice() should return the new nice value. However, the Linux syscall and the nice() library function provided in older versions of (g)libc (earlier than glibc 2.2.4) return 0 on success. The new nice value can be found using getprior- ity(2). Since glibc 2.2.4, nice() is implemented as a library function that calls getpriority(2) to obtain the new nice value to be returned to the caller. With this implementation, a successful call can legitimately return -1. To reliably detect an error, set errno to 0 before the call, and check its value when nice() returns -1. SEE ALSO
nice(1), renice(1), fork(2), getpriority(2), setpriority(2), capabilities(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2007-07-26 NICE(2)