Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding lines with a regular expression, replacing them with blank lines Post 302644675 by Golpette on Tuesday 22nd of May 2012 09:01:15 AM
Old 05-22-2012
Finding lines with a regular expression, replacing them with blank lines

So the tag for this forum says all newbies welcome...
All I want to do is go through my file and find lines which contain a given string of characters then replace these with a blank line. I really tried to find a simple command to do this but failed.

Here's what I did come up with though:

Code:
sed -e 's/REGEXP[^ ]*/MARKER/g' -e 's/[^ ]*MARKER//g' in.txt > out.txt

So I find a REGEXP, replace that and the rest of the line with "MARKER", then I replace the start of the line, including "MARKER" with nothing, thus leaving behind a blank entry...

I think this has worked... Better method please?!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression across some lines

I am trying to use regular expression to identify ONLY the commands that hasn't the word "tablespace" within it. a command starts with "create table" and ends with ; (semicolon) example file: create table first tablespace ; create table second ( BBL_CUSTOMER_NAME VARCHAR2(32), a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynixon
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing blank lines

Hi i am trying to replace blank lines with a number 0. I tried the following code awk '{print NF ? $0: blankrow}' blankrow = "0" file1.prg>file2.prg however i get the following error: fatal: cannot open file `blankrow' for reading (No such file or directory) file example: 1 2 3 5 6... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockiefx
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression grepping lines with VARIOUS number of blanks

Hi, I need a regular expression grepping all lines starting with '*' followed by a VARIOUS number of blanks and then followed by the string 'Runjob=1'. I tried that code, but it doesn't work: grep -i '*'+'Runjob=1' INPUT_FILE >>OUTPUT_FILE Can someone help me? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed not printing lines before a regular expression.

Hey, I found a way to print the lines which is just before a regular expression, not including the expression. sed -n '/regexp/{n;p;}' myfile Now I'm looking for a way to print all lines, exept the regular expression and also the line before the same regular expression. Use code tags. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Livio
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Would like to print 3 lines after a regular expression is found in the logfile

I would like to print 3 lines after a regular expression is found in the logfile. I'm using the following code: grep -n "$reg_exp" file.txt |while read LINE ;do i=$(echo $LINE |cut -d':' -f1 ) ;sed -n "$i,$(($i+3))p" file.txt ;done The above code things works fine,but sometimes gives erroneous... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joachimshaun
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in replacing two blank lines with two diff data

Hi.. I'm facing a trouble in replacing two blank lines in a file using shell script... I used sed to search a line and insert two blank lines after the searchd line using the following sed command. Sed "/data/{G;G;}/" filename. In the file, after data tag, two lines got inserted blank lines.. Now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in replacing two blank lines with two lines of diff data

Hi.. I'm facing a trouble in replacing two blank lines in a file using shell script... I used sed to search a line and insert two blank lines after the searchd line using the following sed command. sed "/data/{G;G;}/" filename . In the file, after data tag, two lines got inserted blank lines..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete lines matching a regular expression

I have a very large file (over 700 million lines) that has some lines that I need to delete. An example of 5 lines of the file: HS4_80:8:2303:19153:193032 153 k80:138891 HS4_80:8:2105:5544:43174 89 k88:81949 165 k88:81949 323 0 * = 323 0 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression grouping across multiple lines

cat book.txt book1 price 23 sku 1234 auth Bill book2 sku 1233 price 22 auth John book3 auth Frank price 24 book4 price 25 sku 129 auth Tod import re f = open('book.txt', 'r') text = f.read() f.close() m =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chirish
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression to match multiple lines?

Using a regular expression, I would like multiple lines to be matched. By default, a period (.) matches any character except newline. However, (?s) and /s modifiers are supposed to force . to accept a newline and to match any character including a newline. However, the following two perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
4 Replies
EXPR(1) 								FSF								   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate expressions SYNOPSIS
expr EXPRESSION expr OPTION DESCRIPTION
--help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Print the value of EXPRESSION to standard output. A blank line below separates increasing precedence groups. EXPRESSION may be: ARG1 | ARG2 ARG1 if it is neither null nor 0, otherwise ARG2 ARG1 & ARG2 ARG1 if neither argument is null or 0, otherwise 0 ARG1 < ARG2 ARG1 is less than ARG2 ARG1 <= ARG2 ARG1 is less than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 = ARG2 ARG1 is equal to ARG2 ARG1 != ARG2 ARG1 is unequal to ARG2 ARG1 >= ARG2 ARG1 is greater than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 > ARG2 ARG1 is greater than ARG2 ARG1 + ARG2 arithmetic sum of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 - ARG2 arithmetic difference of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 * ARG2 arithmetic product of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 / ARG2 arithmetic quotient of ARG1 divided by ARG2 ARG1 % ARG2 arithmetic remainder of ARG1 divided by ARG2 STRING : REGEXP anchored pattern match of REGEXP in STRING match STRING REGEXP same as STRING : REGEXP substr STRING POS LENGTH substring of STRING, POS counted from 1 index STRING CHARS index in STRING where any CHARS is found, or 0 length STRING length of STRING + TOKEN interpret TOKEN as a string, even if it is a keyword like `match' or an operator like `/' ( EXPRESSION ) value of EXPRESSION Beware that many operators need to be escaped or quoted for shells. Comparisons are arithmetic if both ARGs are numbers, else lexicograph- ical. Pattern matches return the string matched between ( and ) or null; if ( and ) are not used, they return the number of characters matched or 0. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for expr is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and expr programs are properly installed at your site, the command info expr should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 4.5.3 February 2003 EXPR(1)