Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed substitution for specific record Post 302644195 by mirni on Monday 21st of May 2012 12:02:08 PM
Old 05-21-2012
I think what you want is:
Code:
sed '/dan/ s/1000/1500/'

This will do the substitution only on the lines that match 'dan'.
Note that if a line contains "Maydan" or something, it will change this also, so it's safer to use anchors:
Code:
sed '/^dan/ s/1000/1500/'

which will match only lines starting with 'dan'.
This User Gave Thanks to mirni For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

a specific string substitution

hi guys...need some help here... i am making a a script to automatically install netbackup client...so its gonna write a configuration file according to the host name.... the line would be something like this CLIENT_NAME = odel_bkp.test.com the thing is ...the host name in reallity is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: razael
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a text from a specific row into a specific column using SED or AWK

Hi, I am having trouble converting a text file. I have been working for this whole day now, still i couldn't make it. Here is how the text file looks: _______________________________________________________ DEVICE STATUS INFORMATION FOR LOCATION 1: OPER STATES: Disabled E:Enabled ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Issemael
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Computing dataset for a specific record

Hello everybody, I want to compute a data file in awk. I am new in awk and I need your help. The data file has the following fields. It has thousands of records. Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 Col5 0.85 0.07 Fre 42:86 25 0.73 0.03 frp 21:10 28 0.64... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ubeejani
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Using sed I'm trying to replace 'string' with ']' while retaining case and ignoring words with 'string' in it along with additional characters like 'strings' and those which already contain the ] wrapper. I'm hoping to do it with sed and the right expression, if possible. Example: Apple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom.lee
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding multiline record searching with specific pattern

Dear Experts, I need to extract specific records from one file which has multiline records. Input file pattern is: ============ aaaaaaaa bbbbbbbb asdf 1234 cccccccc dddddddd ============ aaaaaaaa bbbbbbbb qwer 2345 cccccccc dddddddd (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhiraj4mann
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get last field specific record

i have file A as below contents --------------------------- Use descriptive thread titles when posting. For example, do not post questions with subjects like "Help Me!", "Urgent!!" or "Doubt". For example, do not post questions For example, do not deliminated. output file as below:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANSHUMAN1983
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with print out line that have different record in specific column

Input file 1: - 7367 8198 - 8225 9383 + 9570 10353 Input file 2: - 2917 3667 - 3851 4250 + 4517 6302 + 6302 6740 + 6768 7524 + 7648 8170 + 8272 8896 + 8908 9915 - 10010 ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
18 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove footer record in specific condition

Hi Experts, we have a requirement , need your help to remove the footer record in the file. Input file : 1011070375,,21,,NG,NG,asdfsfadf,1011,,30/09/2017,ACI,USD,,0.28,,,,,,,,,,,, 1011070381,,21,,NG,NG,sgfseasdf,1011,,30/09/2017,ACI,GBP,,0.22,,,,,,,,,,,,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KK230689
6 Replies
SUBST(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SUBST(1)

NAME
subst - substitute definitions into file(s) SYNOPSIS
subst [ -e editor ] -f substitutions victim ... DESCRIPTION
Subst makes substitutions into files, in a way that is suitable for customizing software to local conditions. Each victim file is altered according to the contents of the substitutions file. The substitutions file contains one line per substitution. A line consists of two fields separated by one or more tabs. The first field is the name of the substitution, the second is the value. Neither should contain the character `#', and use of text-editor metacharacters like `&' and `' is also unwise; the name in particular is best restricted to be alphanumeric. A line starting with `#' is a comment and is ignored. In the victims, each line on which a substitution is to be made (a target line) must be preceded by a prototype line. The prototype line should be delimited in such a way that it will be taken as a comment by whatever program processes the file later. The prototype line must contain a ``prototype'' of the target line bracketed by `=()<' and `>()='; everything else on the prototype line is ignored. Subst extracts the prototype, changes all instances of substitution names bracketed by `@<' and `>@' to their values, and then replaces the tar- get line with the result. OPTIONS
-e Substitutions are done using the sed(1) editor, which must be found in either the /bin or /usr/bin directories. To specify a dif- ferent executable, use the ``-e'' flag. EXAMPLE
If the substitutions file is FIRST 111 SECOND 222 and the victim file is x = 2; /* =()<y = @<FIRST>@ + @<SECOND>@;>()= */ y = 88 + 99; z = 5; then ``subst -f substitutions victim'' changes victim to: x = 2; /* =()<y = @<FIRST>@ + @<SECOND>@;>()= */ y = 111 + 222; z = 5; FILES
victimdir/substtmp.new new version being built victimdir/substtmp.old old version during renaming SEE ALSO
sed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Complains and halts if it is unable to create its temporary files or if they already exist. HISTORY
Written at U of Toronto by Henry Spencer. Rich $alz added the ``-e'' flag July, 1991. BUGS
When creating a file to be substed, it's easy to forget to insert a dummy target line after a prototype line; if you forget, subst ends up deleting whichever line did in fact follow the prototype line. 25 Feb 1990 SUBST(1)