Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Two news user accounts in RHEL! Post 302644141 by parth_buch on Monday 21st of May 2012 11:08:18 AM
Old 05-21-2012
I want to remove one of those accounts. I hesitate in removing one of those accounts because,

1> the account "news" is created at the time of installation by system, and I am not sure about dependencies of this account.

2> I am not sure about its default home directory, whether it is /etc/news or it is /var/spool/news.

No application/process/service is running on the server with news user..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What happened to my user accounts?

Ahhhh!!!!!!!! All of my user accounts can no longer login. I suspected a corrupt passwd file, but everything looks OK and the passwd file works when I copy it to another system. All user accounts cannot login...they recieve a "No directory defined" error, but I can logon using root just fine. I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jskillet
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Accounts

I have found a script to create user accounts. But there are a few lines i dont understand. Can someone help me with this? Here's the code: ###################################### while ; do ACCT=${USER_ACCT}${START} START=`expr $START + 1` START=`echo ${START} | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sensor
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with user accounts

I have a root access to a UNIX system. I want to create another account with administrative permissions (create users, delete them, manage print and system configuration), how do I do that? I have a Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9) installed. Please help. :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Accounts

Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to display a list of all existing user accounts on the system, not neccesarily looged in. Thanks in advance Stephen (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sroberts82
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating user accounts

Hi, I have written a program using shell scripting. When you run the file it will asks you to enter the user name, if the user exists it says " user exists " if not it will displays like " user doesnt exist" and then asks you like " do you want to add user with options Yes or No " if you say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwaprasad
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Help with user accounts

Hi All, How to know all the shells a user has access. Thank you . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
0 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Thunderbird user accounts

Hi All I am trying to find a way to set-up a thunderbird account by using a script, i have been trying to to add the lines into the pref.js file but it keeps getting overwritten any help would be great thanks Adam (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
0 Replies
ARCHIVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							ARCHIVE(8)

NAME
archive - Usenet article archiver SYNOPSIS
archive [ -a archive ] [ -f ] [ -i index ] [ -m ] [ -r ] [ input ] DESCRIPTION
Archive makes copies of files specified on its standard input. It is normally run either as a channel feed under innd(8), or by a script before expire(8) is run. Archive reads the named input file, or standard input if no file is given. The input is taken as a set of lines. Blank lines and lines starting with a number sign (``#'') are ignored. All other lines should specify the name of a file to archive. If a filename is not an absolute pathname, it is taken to be relative to /var/spool/news. Files are copied to a directory within the archive directory, /var/spool/news/news.archive. The default is to create a hierarchy that mim- ics the input files; intermediate directories will be created as needed. For example, the input file comp/sources/unix/2211 (article 2211 in the newsgroup comp.sources.unix) will be copied to /var/spool/news/news.archive/comp/sources/unix/2211. OPTIONS
-a archive If the ``-a'' flag is used then its argument specifies the directory to archive in instead of the default. -f If the ``-f'' flag is used, then all directory names will be flattened out, replacing the slashes with periods. In this case, the file would be copied to /var/spool/news/news.archive/comp.sources.unix/2211. -i If the ``-i'' flag is used, then archive will append one line to the specified index file for each article that it copies. This line will contain the destination name and the Message-ID and Subject headers. -m Files are copied by making a link. If that fails a new file is created. If the ``-m'' flag is used, then the file will be copied to the destination, and the input file will be replaced with a symbolic link pointing to the new file. -r By default, archive sets its standard error to /var/log/news/errlog. To suppress this redirection, use the ``-r'' flag. EXIT STATUS
If the input is exhausted, archive will exit with a zero status. If an I/O error occures, it will try to spool its input, copying it to a file. If there was no input filename, the standard input will be copied to /var/spool/news/out.going/archive and the program will exit. If an input filename was given, a temporary file named input.bch (if input is an absolute pathname) or /var/spool/news/out.going/input.bch (if the filename does not begin with a slash) is created. Once the input is copied, archive will try to rename this temporary file to be the name of the input file, and then exit. EXAMPLES
A typical newsfeeds(5) entry to archive most source newsgroups is as follows: source-archive :!*,*sources*,!*wanted*,!*.d :Tc,Wn :/usr/lib/news/bin/archive -f -i /usr/spool/news/news.archive/INDEX HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.14, dated 1996/10/29. SEE ALSO
newsfeeds(5). ARCHIVE(8)