Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command output redirection in script not working Post 302644031 by Skrynesaver on Monday 21st of May 2012 07:17:15 AM
Old 05-21-2012
Spacing
Code:
#!/bin/bash  
count=$(wc -l "some file.txt" | cut -d\  -f1) 
echo $count

This User Gave Thanks to Skrynesaver For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Asking about shell script input output redirection

Hi, Can anyone please tell me what these lines do? ls >& outfile ls outfile 2>&1 Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trivektor
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Output Redirection of a Unix Shell Script

Hi Guys, I have a script for which the stdout and stderr should be redirected to a log file, they should not be printed on the screen. Could you please let me know the procedure to redirect the output of the script to a log file. Thanks in advance. --- Aditya (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaditya
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tar --append command output redirection

I am using tar command to append daily database backups on tape. "tar --append " command help me to do this. But tar --append command does not produce any output on stdout if it succeed. I want the output for that appended command to a log file. This log file should contain only the name of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pganguly46
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input and output redirection filename within a script

Hello everyone, My requirement is that within a script I need to construct the command line exactly that it was invoked with. For example : sh a.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 < input.txt > output.txt Now within a.sh, I construct a file which has these contents " sh a.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 < input.txt >... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedonist12
8 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

output redirection command

Dear All, ./waf --run scratch/myfirst > log.out 2>&1 The above is a command line to redirect the output to a file called log.out. what is the 2>&1 part for ? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: knowledgeSeeker
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script output redirection question

OS : AIX 6.1 Shell : Korn in the url https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=361463&tstart=0 I came across a crontab entry example 00 23 * * 1,3,5 <complete shell script path> 1> <log file> 2>&1 From googling , I gathered that 0 - stdin 1 - stdout 2 - stderr I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: polavan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output redirection of c binary file to a file in shell script is failing

I am struck up with a problem and that is with output redirection. I used all the ways for the redirection of the output of c binary to a file, still it is failing. Here are the different ways which I have used: ./a.out | tee -a /root/tmp.txt 2>&1 ./a.out | tee -a /root/tmp.txt 1>&1 ./a.out |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maya29988
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cygwin script log redirection not working well

I have a simple script which will send a curl request and redirect the output to a log file. for i in {1..20} do curl google.com -is >>log.log & echo "request # $i" >> log.log doneAfter it completes the execution, if I run the following command I should see 20 lines because I am printing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heykiran
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

>& redirection not working within csh script

I'm having a strange problem with basic >& output redirection to a simple log file in csh. When I run this particular output redirection on the command line, it works, but then when I run the same output redirection command >& in my c shell script, I get a blank log file. Nothing is output to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: silencio
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output redirection to file issues

Hi, I have a peculiar issue w.r.t redirecting the command output to a file when using loop. I am redirecting command output to same file in a series of if condition statements, but if one block of if condition statement writes the log to the file , the subsequent block of if condition... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananan
7 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)