Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Moving files only by oldest file one at a time Post 302643849 by chamajid on Sunday 20th of May 2012 09:22:33 PM
Old 05-20-2012
Moving files only by oldest file one at a time

Hi

I am want to create a script where the file gets moved from the current folder to a folder transfer based on the oldest first. This script should run one file at a time using a loop. I want it as a loop because I want to do some processing while I have one file. Can anyone guide me on this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oldest files

Anyone know of a way to list all of the files including subdirectories and list them as oldest first? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2dumb
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding & Moving Oldest File by Parsing/Sorting Date Info in File Names

I'm trying to write a script that will look in an /exports folder for the oldest export file and move it to a /staging folder. "Oldest" in this case is actually determined by date information embedded in the file names themselves. Also, the script should only move a file from /exports to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikosey
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files older than the current date and time and renaming and moving

Hi, I have a very urgent requirement here. I have to find all files in the specified directory but not in the sub directories(The directory name is stored in a variable) which are older than the current date as well as current time and rename it as filename_yyyymmddhhmmss.ext and move it into a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files which are generating time to time

Hi all, I always getting great response from this forum, that why i am putting again.... I am working in a company which is giving ATM support.In one of my production server a lot of files are getting generated every day. I want to move these files to another name. The file name which is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving the files based on count and time.

Hi, I have a requirement ,let us say 1000 files needs to be transferred in an hour from one path to another path and if the files (1000 files) are transferred within an hour ( say 40 mins), then the process should remain idle for the remaining time ( 20 mins). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asaikarthik
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To delete the oldest files in a file when file count in the folder exceeds 7

Hi All, I need to delete the oldest file in folder when the file count in the folder exceed 6 ( i have a process that puts the source files into this folder ) E.x : Folder : /data/opt/backup 01/01/2012 a.txt 01/02/2012 b.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akshay01987
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keeping oldest backup files?

I need a script to clean up the files on our backup system. I was hoping this would be simple for someone to put together for me. I'm sure I could do it, but I'm a bash n00b so it would definitely not be efficiently or within a reasonable amount of time. :( Requirements: - Root of backups... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calab
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files based on file name

Hi All, I have multiple files in the folder, I want to move those files into the other folder on based of name File names: Template_server1_01==> Template_server1_02==>To one directory /Server1 Template_server1_03==> Template_server2_01==> Template_server2_02==>To one... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding oldest files

There are some 25,000 files in 7,000 directories in my source library and I am trying to find oldest files. I am running this find: find /usr/mysrc -name "*." -type f -mtime +8000 -exec ls -l {} 2>/dev/null and playing with the days parameter for mtime, but the output is not sorted... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete 3 oldest files

Trying to delete my 3 oldest files. I am learning despite the many questions. This shows the files. ls -1r /media/andy/MAXTOR_SDB1/Ubuntu_Mate_18.04/Ubuntu_Documents.zip_* | tail -n+6adding this on did not work. | -exec rm {}------ Post updated at 05:43 PM ------ This works, but I... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
15 Replies
RMM(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMM(1)

NAME
rmm - remove messages SYNOPSIS
rmm [+folder] [msgs] [-unlink | -nounlink] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
By default, rmm will remove the specified messages by renaming each of the message files with a site-dependent prefix (usually a comma). Such files will then need to be removed in some manner after a certain amount of time. Many sites arrange for cron to remove these files once a day, so check with your system administrator. Alternately, if you wish for rmm to really remove the files representing these messages, you can use the -unlink switch. But messages removed by this method cannot be later recovered. If you prefer a more sophisticated method of `removing' messages, you can define the rmmproc profile component. For example, you can add a profile component such as rmmproc: /home/foouser/bin/rmm_msgs then instead of simply renaming the message file, rmm will call the named program or script to handle the files that represent the messages to be deleted. Some users of csh prefer the following: alias rmm 'refile +d' where folder `+d' is a folder for deleted messages, and alias mexp 'rm `mhpath +d all`' is used to "expunge" deleted messages. The current message is not changed by rmm, so a next will advance to the next message in the folder as expected. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder rmmproc: Program to delete the message SEE ALSO
refile(1), rmf(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to cur `-nounlink' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. BUGS
Since refile uses your rmmproc to delete the message, the rmmproc must NOT call refile without specifying -normmproc, or you will create an infinte loop. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMM(1)