Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk replacing file with user input Post 302643765 by SkySmart on Sunday 20th of May 2012 02:32:23 PM
Old 05-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasant
Perhaps something like this :
Code:
BEGIN {
printf "Input a file :\n"
getline file < "-"
if (system("test -f "file) == 1 ) { # or whatever test you want.
	print "file not found"
	}
else
	{
	print "file found"	
		while((getline < file )>0)
     		S[$0]
	}
for ( i in S )
	print i
}

im trying to get away from using the file.

the program runs like this:

Code:
code.sh filename datafile

filename contains a list of host.

but what if i already have a specific host i want to check against the datafile. i dont want to specify a file containing a list of other host names for that.

so, i want to be able to specify the specific host i want from the command like. something like this:

Code:
code.sh hostname datafile

but the code i posted only seems to like files. it doesn't respond to variables.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk user input

Using the following I'm trying to print the user's response to the prompt Y / N but I get nothing other than the contents of $1? awk '{ printf($1 " ? (Y/N)") getline myresponse < "-" system("read myresponse") if (myresponse == "Y") { print $1... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK set FILENAME via user input

I am trying to write a awk script that prompts user for input to set the FILENAME varable. I can get it set, but I think awk is not doing anything with it. this is what I have so far #!/usr/bin/nawk -f BEGIN { FILENAME = "" printf "Enter name of file to check in : " ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing spaces with null or 0 in the input file

hi i have records in my input file like this aaa|1234||2bc||rahul|tamilnadu bba|2234||b4c||bajaj|tamilnadu what i am expecting is in between two pipes if there is no character it should be replaced with null or 0 so my file will look like this aaa|1234|null|2bc|0|rahul|tamilnadu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing data of output file with input

Hi, I have a ksh which peocess and get me data from 3 days... ie if i process it on jan 28.. it gets data for 25, 26 and 27.... the process run every day and get previous 3 days data...all this data is appened to a file lets call time.out Now time.out cannot have deplicate data so what i want... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya2340
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing part of a text file with user input.

Ok, I am brand new to UNIX and I am trying to learn a cross between basic script and database use. I had got some ideas off the net on simple ideas for learning UNIX. I am working on creating a simple phone book program that allows myself to enter our employees from work into a phone book text... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgefurbee
0 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

[Scripting]Find & replace using user input then replacing text after

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: (o) Checkout an auto part: should prompt the user for the name of the auto part and borrower's name: Name:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SlapnutsGT
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to take input from user or awk script?

Hi Jim, I have following script,i which i need to take dynamic value . script, nawk -v v1=grep"INT_EUR" $propertifilename | cut -d"=" -F2` -F'~' '{if (NF-1 !=v1) {print "Error in " $0 " at line number "NR" tilde count " N-1}}' $filename In the above script i want to use INT_EUR as a variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input and run awk using the input

I am trying to allow a user to enter in text and then store that text in a variable $gene to run in an awk command in which those values are used to run some calculations. I am getting syntax errors however, when I try. Thank you :). The awk runs great if it is a pre-defined file that is used,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

9. Programming

Keyboard User Input in awk language ?

Hi, does someone know how to make a keyboard data input in the AWK programming language ? Regards Zabo (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zabo
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to search based on 5 user input fields

Field1=”” Field2=”” Field3=”” Field4=”” Field5=”” USER INPUT UP TO 5 FIELDS awk -F , '{ if ( $3 == Field1 && $6 == Field2 && $8 == Field3 && $9 == Field4 && $10 == Field5) print $0 }' /tmp/rodney.outD INPUT FILE (Rodney.outD): ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmerrird
3 Replies
GAPPLETVIEWER(1)                                                        GNU                                                       GAPPLETVIEWER(1)

NAME
gappletviewer - Load and runs an applet SYNOPSIS
appletviewer [OPTION]... URL... appletviewer [OPTION]... -code CODE appletviewer [OPTION]... -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT DESCRIPTION
The appletviewer tool loads and runs an applet. Use the first form to test applets specified by tag. The URL should resolve to an HTML document from which the appletviewer will extract applet tags. The APPLET, EMBED and OBJECT tags are supported. If a given document contains multiple applet tags, all the applets will be loaded, with each applet appearing in its own window. Likewise, when multiple URLs are specified, each applet tag instance is given its own window. If a given document contains no recognized tags the appletviewer does nothing. appletviewer http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/ Use the second form to test an applet in development. This form allows applet tag attributes to be supplied on the command line. Only one applet may be specified using the -code option. The -code option overrides the URL form -- any URLs specified will be ignored. appletviewer -code Test.class -param datafile,data.txt gcjwebplugin uses the third form to communicate with the appletviewer through named pipes. OPTIONS
URL OPTIONS -debug This option is not yet implemented but is provided for compatibility. -encoding CHARSET Use this option to specify an alternate character encoding for the specified HTML page. APPLET TAG OPTIONS -code CODE Use the -code option to specify the value of the applet tag CODE attribute. -codebase CODEBASE Use the -codebase option to specify the value of the applet tag CODEBASE attribute. -archive ARCHIVE Use the -archive option to specify the value of the applet tag ARCHIVE attribute. -width WIDTH Use the -width option to specify the value of the applet tag WIDTH attribute. -height HEIGHT Use the -height option to specify the value of the applet tag HEIGHT attribute. -param NAME,VALUE Use the -param option to specify values for the NAME and VALUE attributes of an applet PARAM tag. PLUGIN OPTION -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT gcjwebplugin uses the -plugin option to specify the named pipe the appletviewer should use for receiving commands (INPUT) and the one it should use for sending commands to gcjwebplugin (OUTPUT). DEBUGGING OPTION -verbose Use the -verbose option to have the appletviewer print debugging messages. STANDARD OPTIONS -help Use the -help option to have the appletviewer print a usage message, then exit. -version Use the -version option to have the appletviewer print its version, then exit. -JOPTION Use the -J option to pass OPTION to the virtual machine that will run the appletviewer. Unlike other options, there must not be a space between the -J and OPTION. BUGS
SEE ALSO
AUTHOR
0.98 2010-07-05 GAPPLETVIEWER(1)