Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extracting Words from Text
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting Words from Text Post 302643457 by eldeingles on Saturday 19th of May 2012 01:22:03 PM
Old 05-19-2012
close but...

Quite near,

yeah, both pieces of code list differently the bracketed words in the text, but I would also need the text with the empty brackets, such as this:

... I met an old [ ] friend last week that I hadn't [ ] [ ] twenty [ ] . He [ ] me about what I [ ] doing and I [ ] him I was back [ ] England for [my] nephew's [ ] , but that I [ ] [ ] ...

Thanks guys!!Smilie

Last edited by eldeingles; 05-19-2012 at 02:27 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting some words

i run a command that submits a word to WordNET which stores the search results in a document which looks like this... i searched "car" in this instance and id like to extract auto, automobile, machine, and store it in a file with the , , stripped away just the words. WordNET's results' template... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark_nsx
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting text and reusing the text to rename file

Hi, I have some ps files where I want to ectract/copy a certain number from and use that number to rename the ps file. eg: 'file.ps' contains following text: 14 (09 01 932688 0)t the text can be variable, the only fixed element is the '14 ('. The problem is that the fixed element can appear... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnDS
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Text Between Two Words

Hi all! Im trying to extract a portion of text from a KML and put it into a new file. Im trying to get all of the points out of it, ignoring everything else so I need only the text between <Placement> and </Placement>. Is there a way to make it extract all instances of these points and not just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting part of line between two words

Hi, I have a file few hundred MB's with text like one below in single line. 20091117 abc xyg 20091117 def ghi 20091118 ppp ttt 20091118 zzz zzz xxx I need to extract part of line from 1st occurence of pattern 20091117 till first occurence of another pattern 20091118. I tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: artistic94555
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

words extracting

Hi, Pls assist. dn: uid=test,ou=test,dc=com description: password sunIdentityServerDeviceStatus: Active uid: test objectClass: sunIdentityServerDevice objectClass: iplanet-am-user-service objectClass: top objectClass: iPlanetPreferences sunIdentityServerDeviceType: blabla cn: default... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting only words from a log file

hello: i have a file and i am trying to extract only unique words from that file. i used the command: cat messages.1 | tr " " "\n" | sort | uniq -c but using this command outputs everything unique in the file be it words, numbers, like all the characters..i need a command which will only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikbenq
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extracting words from fixed length files

I am very new to scripting and need to write a script that will extract the account number from a line that begins with HDR. For example, the file is as follows HDR2010072600300405505100726 00300405505 LBJ FREEWAY DALLAS TELEGRAPH ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bds052189
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting words from file

I am having a file from which i need to extract different length words into different file. For example 2 letter word into file2, 3 letter word into file3 and so on.... I did one using grep and shell script.. for (( i=1; i<7; i++)) do egrep -o '\<\(?{$i}\)?\>' $1 | sort -u -f|tr >file$i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhay_ms
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - Extracting multiple key words from stdout

Hello. From command line, the command zypper info nxclient return a bloc of data : linux local # zypper info nxclient Loading repository data... Reading installed packages... Information for package nxclient: Repository: zypper_local Name: nxclient Version: 3.5.0-7 Arch: x86_64... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting words and lines based on keywords

Hello! I'm trying to process a text file and am stuck at 2 extractions. Hoping someone can help me here: 1. Given a line in a text file and given a keyword, how can I extract the word preceeding the keyword using a shell command/script? For example: Given a keyword "world" in the line: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seemad
2 Replies
Text::Lorem(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  Text::Lorem(3pm)

NAME
Text::Lorem - Generate random Latin looking text SYNOPSIS
use Text::Lorem; my $text = Text::Lorem->new(); # Generate a string of text with 5 words $words = $text->words(5); # Generate a string of text with 2 sentences $sentences = $text->sentences(2); # Generate 3 paragraphs $paragraphs = $text->paragraphs(3); DESCRIPTION
Often when developing a website or other application it's important to have placeholders for content. This module generates prescribed amounts of fake Latin text. CONSTRUCTOR
"new()" The default constructor, "new()" takes no arguments and returns a Text::Lorem object. METHODS
"words( INTEGER )" Returns INTEGER fake Latin words. "sentences( INTEGER )" Returns INTEGER sentences in fake Latin. "paragraphs( INTEGER )" Returns INTEGER paragraphs of fake Latin text. THANKS
Thanks to the guys who pushed me off the cliff called comfort and into the scary world of Perl: James Duncan, Leon Brocard. AUTHOR
Adeola Awoyemi (adeola@fotango.com) SEE ALSO
L<WWW::Lipsum> and L<http://lipsum.com/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2003 Fotango Ltd. All rights reserved. <http://opensource.fotango.com/> This software is released under the same license as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2011-01-05 Text::Lorem(3pm)